Author Topic: Tracing my 18th century MCKAYs...  (Read 2795 times)

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing my 18th century MCKAYs...
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 August 12 20:28 BST (UK) »
Had you considered the William Mackay christened in Stirling 1741?  Father Alexander Mackay mother Elisabeth Buchan[n]an.

This area saw a lot of the early Jacobite action and many Jacobite families fled to the safer catholic areas in the NE, some even changing their names, or leaving family behind.  Amongst them several Buchanans.
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 August 12 22:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you fifer - no, I had not considered the William born in Stirling, although as you say his father was Alexander which would fit a traditional naming pattern (William's known children were Alexander, James, Isobel and William).  Absolutely none of my Scottish families followed the traditional naming pattern at all, so it's questionable (although definitely possible) whether William did...

I think my problem mostly is that even if I find several Williams who COULD fit the bill, I have no way of proving which, if any, is definitely "mine".  This is the issue with most of our families as we get further back, I guess, but as MCKAY is my surname, I am more keen to try to go back with it than with any of my other names.

Thank you all for your input so far, though - I really appreciate the deeper insights into Scottish history that you have given me and the leads to follow up regarding the family  :)

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 August 12 07:03 BST (UK) »
Early/mid 1700s is where I'm "stuck" too, my family def followed naming pattern religiously BUT like many old Scottish Highland families (mine's Stewart) none of the girls baptisms appear in registers for that generation an MI the only clue they were born.   ::)  Remember also that the '45 was not the first uprising, that was in 1715, turmoil is evident from the gaps in parish registers in Doune (Kilmadock).

Your family names look as if he may have followed the naming convention as William's son William is named 3rd son.  Have you tried checking the maternal grandparents, are they James and Isobel?

To explain why you should keep this William in mind is, this area was a "mixing bowl" for the Highlands during that time.  Buchany and the Buchanan Estates were about 8 miles from Stirling, Charlie's army crossed the Forth at the Fords of Frew just south of the present village of Thornhill, Perthshire thereby avoiding the guarded bridge at Stirling.  It's worth reading "Thornhill and it's Environs" the early chapters give a good account of the history of what was in those days a new or "model" village.
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 December 13 14:44 GMT (UK) »
I see Margaret Mackie (nee Cruickshank) died 27 months after her marriage to William :(
Here's the burial record:
Margaret Crukshank, lawful wife to William Make, 30 July 1775, 4th grave in row from South stile back of Margaret Males house. Note:- Margaret married William Mackie, 29 Apr.1773 Foveran.
From "Monumental Inscriptions and Register of Burials, Foveran Churchyard, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. 1753-1966."
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 December 13 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you flst :)  Now that actually solves a mystery - that Margaret seemed to have been later known as Ann.  It now becomes obvious that William remarried. That means that my ancestor Alexander is the only child of William and Margaret, and that his siblings are children of the second marriage. 

Happy Christmas, and thanks again to you and everyone on the thread ;)

Prue

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 December 13 22:24 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome :)
And Merry Christmas to you too.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.