Author Topic: Brumfitt v Brunthwaite v Bromford  (Read 1659 times)

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Brumfitt v Brunthwaite v Bromford
« on: Wednesday 01 August 12 05:02 BST (UK) »
I have been researching my family on and off for about 20 years and have always known that my surname “Brumfitt” was derived from something different. I have read that it derives from the place name Brunthwaite in Silsden, however, I have great difficulty in coming to terms with this as Brumfitt doesn’t sound anything like Brunthwaite.

I was recently going through the Yorkshire parish records which are available on Ancestry and have known for years about Thomas Brumfitt baptised in Ilkley in January 1696 (my 6x great grandfather) he being the son of Thomas. However, this is entered as BRUNFIT.

What is interesting is that familysearch has this, even though I have seen the record and it states BRUNFIT:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NP85-YXP

Today on Ancestry I found a baptism in January 1666/1667 for a Thomas BROMFORD son of Thomas also at Ilkley. Now I am much more comfortable with the transformation of BRUMFITT from BROMFORD rather than BRUNTHWAITE.

I also believe that it probably took quite some time for the surname to arrive at it’s present day form, since there is a record of a William BRUMPHET marrying an Eleanor Hargreaves in Colne in 1623. Colne not being that far from Ilkley at all. My 3 x great grandfather William Brumfitt was born in Colne, he being a brother to the John Brumfitt father of Elizabeth mentioned in the link below.

http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/brumfitt

My query is, are there any experts that can confirm / deny what the name Brumfitt has derived from?

Regards
Gail
Armitage, Atherton, Barton, Beck, Bradshaw, Brumfitt, Chetwin, Conalty, Connolly, Connor(s), Davidson, Hilton, Hoey, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lester, McDonald, Molyneux, Morris, Pownall, Rushton, Spark, Stanley, Tunstall, Welsby, West, Wharton, Williams, Wilson, Windridge, Windstandley

Offline daniel1111

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Brumfitt v Brunthwaite v Bromford
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 17:46 BST (UK) »
Gail:

I don't know about your name derevation but I can help with Brunthwaite.

I lived there for the first 7 years of my life ( now a long time ago) and my brother was born there.

It was always known as Brumfit in the local Silsden area and still is by some of the older Cobbydalers.
Percival, Hird, Heseltine, Wilson,  Horn(e), Thwaite, Storey, Iveson, Metcalfe, Dinsdale and Sunter and the farms and families of Bishopdale.

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 August 12 07:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Daniel. I guess that if that is the Brunthwaite is pronounced then there must be something in why people state that's where the name comes from.

Regards
Gail
Armitage, Atherton, Barton, Beck, Bradshaw, Brumfitt, Chetwin, Conalty, Connolly, Connor(s), Davidson, Hilton, Hoey, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lester, McDonald, Molyneux, Morris, Pownall, Rushton, Spark, Stanley, Tunstall, Welsby, West, Wharton, Williams, Wilson, Windridge, Windstandley

Offline Thornwood

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 April 16 20:04 BST (UK) »
My neighbour's maiden name is Brumfitt and her family came from Otley. While helping her in her research I found that Brumfitt originated from people living near open land where broom was growing. Broomfield eventually changed to Brumfitt.
Surnames come from place names, occupations, physical appearance, characteristics, son of or just a description of their surroundings. I think Brumfitt fits into the latter.