Author Topic: James Hutchison  (Read 23614 times)

Offline hazelaberdeen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Hutchison
« on: Thursday 02 August 12 18:45 BST (UK) »
James Hutchison was originally a miner from Newcastle - who moved to Peterhead when he met and married Mary Stewart from Fraserburgh around 1890.  He died around 1900.  Can anyone throw any light on that?  Also, was he related to a Pearl Hutchison, a name I heard a lot in the 40's and 50's when I was very young.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: James Hutchison
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 August 12 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Hazel

Can't see a marriage in Scotland with those names up to 1910 on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  :-\

Do you have any children from the marriage that might help to find them on the 1901 census?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hazelaberdeen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 August 12 22:27 BST (UK) »
I was looking for Mary Hutchison, but I actually found her under Mary Stewart and alone with her 6 children on the 1901 census and living at 2 Seagate Place Peterhead with a female lodger, possibly a relation by the name of Elizabeth Stewart Melville.  Mary's only daughter was called Elizabeth, and the other children were James, John Robert and David who was just an infant. It appeared that James Hutchison must have been deceased owing to Mary now being a widow on the census form.  He was alive previously as his youngest child of Mary's was born in Lonmay in August 1900-

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 August 12 00:30 BST (UK) »
Can we take it that David Stewart was the child born in Lonmay in 1900 ?
Do you have the birth record from Scotland's People which shows that James Hutchison was recorded as the father ?

Regards

Malky

Offline RBcabal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 August 12 00:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Malky and Hazel

Ive just download the BC for David Stewart - b. 15 Aug 1900 West Cairn Lot, Lonmay, to Mary Ann Stewart, Pedlar (no father given). So that doesnt help a lot.

Bill

Kelbie, Jamieson, Keith, Williamson, Cameron, Stewart, White/Whyte (Scottish Travelling Families)

Offline hazelaberdeen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 August 12 08:46 BST (UK) »
That was because James died before David was born, and that is why he was not at the birth. David the youngest was born in a tent in Cairnlob Longmay. They were both basketmakers, and Mary was also a pedlar.  It has been very hard to track down where the name Hutchison came from, and I have some evidence that James was definately a coal miner from necastle, previously.  I can't find where died he to get the information that is needed.  David was married very young to a Mary Grieg Foremen in Peterhead when she was 17 and he was 19, and it did not work out.  However, he got married in the name of David Stewart.  His next marriage was when he was 41 and that was in the name of Hutchison.  You tell me!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 August 12 11:06 BST (UK) »
Just some notes from what's been mentioned...

The 1901 census shows the following Stewart group as boarders:

Mary Stewart 32 basket maker b. Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire
James Stewart 13 b. Arbroath, Forfarshire
John Stewart 10 b. Broughty Ferry, fifeshire
Elizabeth Stewart 9 b. Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
Robert Stewart 7 b. Rathen, Aberdeenshire
David Stewart 1 Month b. Lonmay, Aberdeenshire
Elizabeth Stewart 70 hawker b. Fyvie, Aberdeenshire

Address: 3 Seagate Place, Peterhead

Given the age of the eldest above, James, I wondered whether this 1891 census entry could be connected. Everything fits, except what you have a potential bio for James Hutcheson:

James Hutcheson 40 basket maker b. Edinburgh
Mary Ann Hutcheson 23 hawker b. Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire
James Hutcheson 2 b. Arbroath, Forfarshire

Address: Balnabreich (Barn), St Vigeans Angus

Have you tried to search for the other children's birth certs to see what they say? Have you found mother Mary Stewart's death cert to check the details on that?

Did David actually show his father as James Hutcheson on any of his registrations?

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 August 12 11:27 BST (UK) »
Also, was he related to a Pearl Hutchison, a name I heard a lot in the 40's and 50's when I was very young.

Mentioning this on the off chance...

There is a death showing on SP for a Pearl Hutchison who died in Aberdeenshire in 1988, aged 64. Also a birth in Aberdeenshire for a Pearl, but too late for this death. Hard for you to check though as they are all too recent to view online.

However, Pearl could well likely have been a pet name. Margaret is a possibility such as showing here www.whatsinaname.net/female-names/Pearl.html Likely others too  :-\

Monica

Offline hazelaberdeen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 August 12 12:54 BST (UK) »
Thank You Monica L and it certainly fits, however two persons-when they were alive said that James originated from Newcastle and that he was a miner.  One of the persons was David himself when he was recorded saying that his mother's own name was Stewart- implying that she may have had a another name, and he said that his father was from Newcastle, and that he was a miner, but he did not mention his name.  The other person who said that James was from Newcastle was David's wife, when she was alive.  None of the rest of the siblings are alive.  It would be great to find James's death certifiacate, as that would establish where his parents came from.  I only have Mary's birth certificate and her parents were Mary McFee and James Stewart- married in 1846- Inverness.  that does not help me with the Hutchison/Stewart side.  I wonder why all the duckin and divin with the name from Stewart to Hutchison and sometimes back again.  My uncle Robert actually spelled his name Hutcheson-then later changed that to Hutchison.  It is a bit of a mystery and I Think that maybe the grandfather was a miner from Newcastle.  David joined the army when he was a young boy and he served abroad too during the first world war, as he was actually educated in the army too.