Author Topic: George Scott, blacksmith in Canonbie  (Read 8156 times)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: George Scott, blacksmith in Canonbie
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 10:43 BST (UK) »
That great  :) Lots there hopefully to follow up on and determine. You had all the other death details didn't you (Margaret, Robert, Mina)?

Regarding Ann, do you only have Georgina as her daughter? Have you checked Georgina's marriage and/or death certs? Sometimes you get clues as to what happened to mother from those types of certs with a possible inclusion of a new married surname for example.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nodrogw

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes I have looked at the marriage certificate for Georgina Nichol and Robert Graham. It shows Georgina as illegitimate, and her father's name as William Nicholl. He was a cooper. Her mother is shown as Ann Curl, maiden name of Scott, but I have been unable to unearth any information as to when she became Ann Curl. It is also interesting to note that Robert Warwick was 1st Witness at this wedding.
Regards
Gordon

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 12:17 BST (UK) »
Like you, struggling with the Curl surname and picking anything up on this  :-\

Is it very clearly written on the cert as Curl (even with variants such as Curley etc)? As you know, sometimes the image can be faint which can make deciphering a little tricky.

I thought the last sighting of Ann might have been this one, with her age a few years light, from 1861:

Ann Scott, 26, domestic servant b. Canonbie. This is at 1 Teviot Crescent, Hawick, Rox. in the household of a John F Wilson, a Wool Merchant and Skinner.

Monica

Offline Nodrogw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 August 12 18:54 BST (UK) »
The marriage that you refer to between Robert Warwick and Jane Scott, and which you provide the link to family search for does not appear to show up on Scotlands People. Can you give me any reason why this might be so, and any tips on how I can try to get a certificate.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 August 12 19:00 BST (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTLR-5QG shows the marriage on the last day of 1868. It must have been registered in the early days of 1869 as this is when it shows on SP I think.

Monica

Offline Nodrogw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 August 12 07:37 BST (UK) »
A slight deviation from the main subject, but can you say if there are any old maps anywhere, which might show where the blacksmith's forge was in Hollows in the late 1800s.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 August 12 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Gordon

Struggling to find anything specific online to the level of the Smithy at Hollows.

There are a number of maps of the Canonbie area circa mid 1850s on the NLS site you could check through http://maps.nls.uk/os/25inch/dumfriesshire2.html

There is also this map from Canmore http://canmoremapping.rcahms.gov.uk/index.php?action=do_advanced&idnumlink=90350

You might want to check with the local archives www.dumgal.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2297 regarding maps of the area for the period you are looking at and, more importantly, to the level of detail you need.

The photos here from Linda www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=fpvqjpnabpvb7moo906q1q5p56&topic=554164.new likely give you a more specific location for the possible building(s) of the Smithy.

Also, as an aside and whilst looking for maps...found these photos of Rowanburn where we had Jane Scott and Robert Warwick www.rootschat.com/links/0q47/ (Have you been able to confirm whether we have the correct Jane?).

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 August 12 10:44 BST (UK) »
From this map (1862), www.british-history.ac.uk/mapsheet.aspx?compid=55153&sheetid=3095&ox=4133&oy=1823&zm=1&czm=1&x=314&y=209 - not named specifically as other buildings are.

Monica

Offline Nodrogw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 18 August 12 02:39 BST (UK) »
Yes, I can confirm that we have the right Jane, who married Robert Warwick in 1868. Of George Scott's children, this only leaves Ann who gave birth to Georgina Nicholl in 1851, and Jane Wylie in 1853. As she is the only one left, she must be the daughter who died in Nebraska, as stated on the Canonbie memorial stone. However, how do I find out when she left or whether she married before she left.