Author Topic: Agaphonoff , Russia.  (Read 1839 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Agaphonoff , Russia.
« on: Tuesday 21 August 12 20:31 BST (UK) »
I have Ivan ( Evan )  Agaphonoff born Russia. He marries in Wales and states his father is Fefonov Agaphonoff. a farmer.

His signature looks like something more than just plain Ivan.

His Nationalisation document gives a date of birth of 29.08.1900.

Can anyone find him at all. He doesn`t show up in 1911, as far as I can see,
The only  other similer name  is a death for a Nikolai Agafonoff aged  40 born about  1897.
 Oct-Nov-Dec 1937 Bermondsey.

Also an Alexander Agafonoff , born 17/9/1933 who is on an incoming passenger list.
He is a student travelling from USA to Australia and is only going to be the Uk for 5 days.
As far as the existing family know , he is not linked to Ivan.

Hope someone can help  :)
Thanks
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Agaphonoff , Russia.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 August 12 19:05 BST (UK) »
   I couldn't find what you are looking for but something else cropped up which I think is quite interesting.

IVAN Agafonoff   born 1879   Seaman, aged 21.       On the "RHYNLAND", departing Liverpool to Philadelphia, USA on 5th Dec 1900.

Scrawled across the page where Ivan appears are the words: Imperial Russian Navy.       Plus a few more words that are too faint to make out.

And then, one more bit of information...

P Agafonov   born 1874    Seaman, aged 27.      On the same ship "RHYNLAND".       Departing Liverpool for Philadelphia on 18tyh Sept 1901.

So these two were sailors on the RHYNLAND, both going to Philadelphia, just over a year apart from one another.

I know for certain that this was the very same ship they were on because I looked up the first page for each voyage, and the tonnage of the ship was 2328 tons both times, so it was the same ship, just that it was a year and three months apart.

It might just be a bit of useless information, but I thought I would pass it onto you just in case it means someting to you.

Are you sure that the date 1900 that you have for Ivan's birth isn't the date he actually entered USA instead?

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 August 12 19:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for taking the time to look at this.
Ivan / Evan became a British Subject in 1939 when he was living in Ruthin, Wales,  he stayed there until his death.
On his marriage certificate his occupation is a gardener. 

It is quite interesting though.
Just a thought, have I posted this in the wrong place for you think he was in USA ?

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 August 12 19:43 BST (UK) »
    No, no.      Because you couldn't find him, I was just looking around for any Ivan Agafonoff, or other Agafonoffs I could find.       It will probably turn out that his name has been wrongly spelt, or maybe he changed it.     

Offline apwright

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 August 12 14:23 BST (UK) »
His signature looks like something more than just plain Ivan.
Perhaps because it's written in Cyrillic: Иванъ ??Феофенов Агафоновъ
Not entirely sure of the middle name (patronymic, father's name) as it's not very clear, but there are definitely 2 letters between the two Fs (ф). His name may have been Феофaн/Feofan, the Russian equivalent of Theophanes.

There's no "right" English spelling of names transliterated from Cyrillic - or any other alphabet. Aga-f/ph-ono-ff/f/v/w are all possible spellings of the same Russian name!

Adrian

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 August 12 12:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks, so that seems to be  an indication that he was educated in Russia.
At the time of his marriage, he was working as a gardener at Clwyd Hall, as was his bride.

The info in this site has Sir Crosland Graham as the occupier about that time.

http://www.clwydhall.info/