Author Topic: HI EVERYONE! Does anyone know where i should start?  (Read 3695 times)

Offline steverace1983

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HI EVERYONE! Does anyone know where i should start?
« on: Thursday 23 August 12 10:37 BST (UK) »
I have found what i think is a coat of arms? I have no idea where to start to find out what family it belonged too, does anyone recognise any of the symbols or anything? Any help would be really appreciated thanks everyone in advance :)

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: HI EVERYONE! Does anyone know where i should start?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 August 12 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve and welcome to Rootschat!

The upper left quarter looks industrial to me, like a factory or mill?  It's difficult to make out the lower right quarter from your photo, could you take another one that might show a bit more?  Could it be cottages possibly?  Almost looks like Chinese writing!

I wonder if the surname begins with S as the entwined initials both contain it, AS bottom left is quite clear but are there three initials top right? W, S and perhaps something else?  Edited to add  Having enlarged that section of the photo and coloured the S and W there appears to also be a D in the middle
How big is the object?  Is it the sort of thing that would hang from a watch chain perhaps?

Not much help there but maybe a start  :)

Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 August 12 23:11 BST (UK) »
Are there any hallmarks or other useful marks on the back or sides of this shield?  Where did you find it - is it something that's been passed down through your family? 

Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 August 12 23:49 BST (UK) »
To me, it looks like some kind of award or a badge from an organization perhaps, obviously based in an industrial area.

I think this post might be better in the COmmon Room as I don't think it is a crest or coat of arms so I'm not sure anyone who visits this board will be able to help you.

I'll be interested to see what others think.  :)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 August 12 23:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve and Welcome from me too ;D ;D ;D

I would say it looks like a watch fob for hanging on a watch chain.

Also - I agree not a real coat of arms

I also agree it is supposed to look like a mill and probably a cottage or perhaps farm building.

Initials SWD or SDW or less likely WSD/WDS. The D is small so perhaps a less important letter like a middle name..And the other being SA or AS (although the S seems more prominent so perhaps comes first)

I think it looks like it has been made as a gift... Perhaps it was made as a weddig gift... the initials being those of bride and groom.  One coming from a mill background and one from a rural background?
Or perhaps both from a mill town...one of the more rural ones in cheshire rather than Manchester (somewhere like Bollington, Congleton area)...

Does any of that ring any bells?

Is it gold and enamel? ...and is there a hallmark. That would give a date. If it was a handmade gift it may not have one of course. 

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 August 12 05:19 BST (UK) »
It looks like brass or some kind of alloy rather than gold, so possibly won't have a hallmark and not be of much monetary value - maybe even mass produced?  :-\ I thought that the initials may stand for an organization, trade union or some such thing. All just guesses on my part of course.  ;)

It is very intriging and very nice I might add.

Like Heather, I would be interested to know if it is a family piece and what size it is. We might be able to do some detective work to see if the occupation of the original owner can be found and if this might relate to it. Are there any engravings, commemorations etc on the rear of this?