Author Topic: Great grans husband James Hay left her 1868 and went to India  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Croy Girl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Great grans husband James Hay left her 1868 and went to India
« on: Monday 27 August 12 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

My great gran Jane Moncur married James HAY in Anderston Glasgow 1861.They had 3 boys. He left her a few times .Last time was 1868 when he was a scottish soldier and he left her to go to India.I know he was a soldier as one of his sons died age 10 and has him as soldier on his sons death certificate.

I got this info from my grans birth certificate.She was born 1876.Said that james hay was not the father of this child as he had left his wife 8 years before to go to India.My gran always signed James HAY as her father even though he wasnt.she also had a sister born 2 years later and this info was also on her birth certificate.

When my great gran died James Hay was signed as her husband so dont think they ever divorced.Just wondering if theres anyway i could find out what happened to James Hay as ive always thought of him as my
Ggrandfather .

Marguerite

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
Re: Great grans husband James Hay left her 1868 and went to India
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 00:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Marguerite,

Do you know what year James was born?  There are a number of deaths in India between 1868 and 1900 for various  men by the name of James Hay. A year of birth would help tie it down to a particular person. There is, of course, the possibility that none of them are the one you are looking for.

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline Croy Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony

James Hay was born 1840.They married 1861 in Anderston Glasgow .They were both 21.

On the1891 cencus says my Ggran Jane Hay was Widow.

I know that from info that someone found for me at mitchell library that James Hay left my Ggran several times and that his mum was wanting to take her 2 sons .She never liked my Ggran because she was an orphan and had no means of support.Seems James Hays mother was very controlling.

James hays father was also James hay and his mother was Margaret Oswald.

Marguerite

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Marguerite

Could this be him? The date for his birth fits with your information and there was, and still is, a large military base in Calcutta. The information is from the FamilySearch website.

name: James Hay
burial date: 23 Jan 1890
burial place: Calcutta, Bengal, India
death date: 22 Jan 1890
birth date: 1840
indexing project (batch) number: B75035-4
system origin: India-EASy
source film number: 510891

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline Croy Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 16:15 BST (UK) »
HI tony

Looks like it could be him.I have searched scotlands people loads of times and have yet to find him in scotland.

Always been curious about him wondering if he came back to see his family.

Thanks Tony.

Marguerite