Author Topic: JOHNS FAMILY  (Read 7473 times)

Offline jsorensen

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: JOHNS FAMILY
« Reply #18 on: Monday 10 June 13 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Rose,

I have just come across your post and have noticed that you are seeking information about Henrietta. My mum is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to family history :) I will get her to read your posts and see what she knows that may help.

I am also a descendant of Amy Ismay JOHNS, I know her as Granny Johns, she was my great grandmother, my nanna being Amy Stella Beverley LOCKWOOD. Granny Johns passed away a couple of years before I was born, but we have some fantastic photos stored away. In my younger days, I spent a lot of time with Aunties Greta and Noreen, and Uncle Vaughan.

Regards,

Jo Sorensen (from Tassie Wilcox/Lockwood blood)

Offline Rose_Frankcombe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 10 June 13 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo,
Thanks for your post re Thomas JOHNS, the elusive relative!

Yes, Granny Lockwood, nee Johns was a lovely lady.

I know your gran and your mum and lots of others in the family... LOL...

Noreen was my mother-in-law.

I pursued Thomas with no definite success, even to the point of ordering a birth certificate for him, which returned information that was tenuous to say the least. I have some thoughts as to how to pursue this further. A bit of lateral thinking comes in handy from time to time...

I've had contact with Bothwell but was sadly disappointed that Granny Henrietta, Hetty, was buried in an unmarked grave there and no records were kept, or more probably were lost.

I've seen Thomas's grave in Campbelltown cemetery.

I've seen Henrietta's forbear's graves in Oatlands.

Thank you for making the contact... Cheers... Rose

Offline Michelle Robson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 21 July 18 00:28 BST (UK) »
My grandmother is Alice Johns daughter of the Henrietta & Thomas. I have no proof, but my mother told me that Thomas changed his name to Johns-not Jones either. His real surname  probably is Johannes and perhaps his Christian name is not Thomas. Also he may of jumped ship from a visiting Russian freighter that sailed into Hobart, and escaped taking on a new identity.

Offline Rose_Frankcombe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 21 July 18 01:21 BST (UK) »
Hello, Michelle. Thank you for your post. Although I have seen Thomas Johns' grave in the St Luke's Anglican Church cemetery, Campbelltown, and there is indication there was a distinct rift in his family, getting to the nub of him was/is very difficult, with records of import non existent, it would seem. Jumping ship was not an unknown practice, and I suppose this isolated little island was ideal for such a feat. I feel sure I have heard about a tenuous Russian connection, beit a freighter - or by imaginings of aristocratic connections (folk lore, I'm guessing). Rose

Offline MarjorieH

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 06 February 23 04:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi there I have a card received by my great grandmother Frances Anne Lousia Johns from her brother Thomas Johns who was a shepherd in the high country.