Author Topic: William Fitzgerald Oswestry  (Read 4989 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Fitzgerald Oswestry
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 01 September 12 02:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

Is he the one who died in Ashton under Lyne, aged 39?  If so, I'd be tempted to get the death cert. It won't have much on it - his occupation, place of death and informant but it might be enough to tell if he really was the William or someone else.

Have you checked the newspapers, etc. to see if there is anything about the family?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 01 September 12 02:21 BST (UK) »
Just looked on the 1861 census for a William in Ashton under Lyne:

We have this one at RG9/3002/26/45
2 Pedlars Row, A under L
William Fitzgerald, 38, Master Tin Plate Worker, b. Ireland
(with wife and 3 children plus apprentice)

This could be the one who died (age only slightly out) and yours might then have survived to take up with Elizabeth. Need to follow through - the A under L family not found in 1871 so far.

Also a possible in Manchester at  RG9/2930/95/13
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline joeeeangel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 01 September 12 07:34 BST (UK) »
William Born ABT 1799 DIED IN 1868, and his son William (Married to Amelia) died in 1866.  I haven't found him in the papers, I don't know where to look? :(

Offline joeeeangel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 01 September 12 07:42 BST (UK) »
Also, we have the Ireland born William and he is not connected to our family.  We ordered that certificate so we could work out which William was ours!!!!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 01 September 12 10:00 BST (UK) »
William Born ABT 1799 DIED IN 1868, and his son William (Married to Amelia) died in 1866.  I haven't found him in the papers, I don't know where to look? :(

How do you know that this is his son, if you don't have the death cert? If the A under L one wasn't yours, where did yours die?

There's a Methodist research centre in Manchester that might have some info - I got some info on  my Stokes line,  who were Methodists from the same area as yours. I'll try to find the contact details for you.

Added - link:  http://www.library.manchester.ac.uk/searchresources/guidetospecialcollections/methodist/

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 01 September 12 10:11 BST (UK) »
There are only two William Fitzgerald deaths of the approx age as yours registered in 1866 -

William Fitzgerald, Ashton under Lyne, aged 39
John W Fitzgerald, Stepney, aged 41

So, if it wasn't the Ashton under Lyne one, then he didn't die in 1866!

How did you find out that he died in 1866?

Offline joeeeangel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 01 September 12 10:24 BST (UK) »
I am such a goose and getting all confused!!!  Yes, our William Fitz Jnr died in Ashton under Lyne, and Will Senior died in 1868 Oswestry.  There are so many William Fitzgeralds...eeeeekkk!  Just checked my family tree to make sure, and called my aunt to double check!

Offline joeeeangel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 01 September 12 10:29 BST (UK) »
My aunt has the certificates, and I have all the census information.  It took us a while to follow this family as there were so many transcription errors.  We only recently found this other gentleman, purely by accident, and wondered where he fit within the family.  A genealogist a while back explained that all Fitzgerald's in this time period from Oswestry were the same family, hence our interest in locating this particular William's history.  We have methodist information that list our William in the early methodist minutes from oswestry also.  Other than that we haven't been able to find much else relating to the Methodist records. Jo

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 01 September 12 10:38 BST (UK) »
The only thing that you can do then is to get that marriage cert that keyhole gave earlier:

Looks like they married March qtr 1875 Northwich 8a 343