Author Topic: Toms, Balranald  (Read 6908 times)

Offline koorie1

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Toms, Balranald
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 May 17 01:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Jessies mum, I was just wondering if you ever found any further information on Henry Toms and his wife Mary of Balranald? I am particularly interested in information on Mary ( Mary Ann Smith) who I believe may have been an Aboriginal woman? Any information at all would be very helpful for my research
thanks

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 May 17 02:18 BST (UK) »
Their 1889 marriage certificate should include details about Mary Ann ie her age, place of birth, parents names including mother's maiden name and father's occupation.  Transcriptions are available in NSW for c$20.  Transcript is emailed to you.
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx#transcription

Is this Henry's death?
17741/1913
TOMS Henry
Father Patrick
District Balranald 

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article134744947
Riverina Recorder 3 Dec 1913
OBITUARY,
H. Toms.
After ailing for two or three years, "Harry" Toms, an old inhabitant of the district, succumbed at the Hospital on Thursday last, the cause of death being Uraemia, brought on by Brights' disease. Deceased was twice an inmate of the hospital, the first time in June and July for 24 days, and he re-entered the institution 18 days before his death.
The well-known veteran was a native of Liverpool, England, and after sailing the seas for some time he arrived in Australia, coming to this district so many years ago that he had forgotten the count. It is estimated, however, that he came Riverina at least 40 years ago.
His early Australian days were spent on Canally Station, and in his time he has been employed on every station in the district. Just, before his death he gave his age as 70. He leaves a widow and a large family of adults and juveniles to mourn his loss.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 May 17 02:30 BST (UK) »
There a a number of birth registrations to this couple commencing 1892, prior to their marriage.
Any other those birth certificates should have Mary Ann's age and place of birth.

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 May 17 02:34 BST (UK) »
Did Mary Ann remarry?

11772/1918
SMITH Richard
TOMS Mary A
District Balranald

Cando

Offline koorie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 May 17 02:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your help. I was able to obtain the marriage certificate of Mary Ann and Henry in 1889 in Balranald, NSW. Unfortunately The certificate does not list either of their parents names. Not sure if the death record you found is the same Henry I am looking for as I have him born in Australia and his parents listed as George Henry and Mahaleth

Offline koorie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 May 17 02:36 BST (UK) »
Did Mary Ann remarry?

11772/1918
SMITH Richard
TOMS Mary A
District Balranald

Cando
She was listed as Mary Ann Smith on her wedding certificate on 26/12/1889 to Henry Toms . Usual place of residence for both was Canally Station, NSW

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 May 17 02:45 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

From the NSW electoral Roll 1913 for MURRAY, polling at Balranald

Mary Ann TOMS, domestic duties
William TOMS, labourer

May I mention that the electors needed to be aged 21 years and over and British Subjects.   It is unusual to find Aboriginal People on electoral rolls in that era.   The Commonwealth Parliament had legislated in 1902 to grant adult suffrage but effectively excluded many/most Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.   
Some general background info here:
https://www.nla.gov.au/research-guides/australian-electoral-rolls

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 11 May 17 02:52 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

May I ask about the info that is recorded on the 1889 marriage certificate.   This is a registration for rural NSW, so it may well be that NSW BDM head office in Sydney only received a summary of the details at that time.   NSW BDM commenced reconciling their records with the Church records in 1912, but WWI took their experienced clerks and the reconciliation was not ever completed. 

The Church records should be extant, and NSW BDM's own webpage acknowledges that it can be sensible to seek out the church records where there are blanks on their own civil registry ledgers.

Here's a now lengthy thread I commenced some time ago, it may be useful if there are those elusive blanks on the marriage cert.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,546609.0.html

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline koorie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 May 17 03:06 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

From the NSW electoral Roll 1913 for MURRAY, polling at Balranald

Mary Ann TOMS, domestic duties
William TOMS, labourer

May I mention that the electors needed to be aged 21 years and over and British Subjects.   It is unusual to find Aboriginal People on electoral rolls in that era.   The Commonwealth Parliament had legislated in 1902 to grant adult suffrage but effectively excluded many/most Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.   
Some general background info here:
https://www.nla.gov.au/research-guides/australian-electoral-rolls

JM
Thank you, according to family members Mary "passes" as an Indian woman, so I'm not sure if that helped her get on an electoral roll?