Author Topic: Gilson family of Chelmsford, Essex  (Read 8977 times)

Offline Anarian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gilson family of Chelmsford, Essex
« on: Wednesday 05 September 12 02:30 BST (UK) »
I am researching the family of Octavia Gilson, born about 1803. Octavia married George Humphry on 15 Sep 1827. I have been unable any information about her parents or siblings.

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
Re: Gilson family of Chelmsford, Essex
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 08:07 BST (UK) »
Do you have them in any census as I can't see them?

Scrap that I have found them in Surrey in 1841 and 51.
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Anarian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 September 12 00:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you. It was from the census data I was able to discover Octavia born in Chelmsford about 1803. I have been unable find any information about her parents. FamilySearch has a John J Gilson born in Chelmsford in 1803 (1871 Census) and Alice J Gilson born in Chelmsford in 1807 (1881 Census). These folk may be siblings of octavia but I have been unable to make the connection.

Offline Humphry Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 November 12 18:00 GMT (UK) »
I am doing research on the Humphry family whose ancestors lived in Sudbury, Essex, England.  Octavia Gilson did marry George Humphry.  I believe her sister, Betsey Ann Gilson, married William Wood Humphry, George's older brother.  Betsey Ann Gilson was also born in Chelmsford, Essex, as Octavia was.  I have all kinds of information on William's descendants but none on the Gilson sisters' parents.

Offline Anarian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 November 12 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes Betsy Ann and Octavia Gislon did marry brothers William and George Humphry of Sudbury. George is my great great grandfather. I have some information about the Gilson family in Chelmsford and would be happy to share this with you. I think the father's name is John who was a surgeon in Chelmsford. He was born in about 1770 (varies in the 1841 & 1851 census) in Colchester. Understanding the Gilson family tree is proving to be a challenge. I am travelling at the moment but would be happy to correspond further with you next week.

Offline Humphry Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 November 12 21:11 GMT (UK) »
William Wood Humphry is my great great grandfather so that makes George Humphry my great great great great uncle.  My maiden name is Humphry; is yours too?

I'd love to learn about the Gilson family, but we'll chat later.

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 November 12 12:19 GMT (UK) »
This seems to be a connection:

The Ipswich Journal (Ipswich, England), Saturday, September 22, 1827; Issue 4670.

Saturday last was married at St Gregory’s Church, Geo Humphry, Esq., solicitor, College Hill, London, youngest son of Joseph Humphry, Esq., to Miss Octavia Gilson, of Chelmsford.

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 November 12 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Anarian

The Ipswich Journal (Ipswich, England), Saturday, August 30, 1862; Issue 6434.

Category: Birth, death, marriage notices
DEATHS: HUMPHRY: 25th inst., at Sudbury, Betsy Ann, the wife of William Wood Humphry, Esq., aged 72.

The Essex Standard, and General Advertiser for the Eastern Counties (Colchester, England), Wednesday, May 24, 1865; Issue 1797. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II.

DEATHS: May 18th, at Dr. Humprhy’s, Cambridge, William Wood Humprhy, Esq., late of Sudbury, Suffolk, aged 78.   

Are you interested in a John Thomas Gilson of Chelmsford, surgeon and William Gilson Humphry of Shrewsbury School & Trinity College Cambridge?

Tom

Offline Anarian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 November 12 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. George Humphry & Octavia Gilson were my great great grandparents. George's father was Joseph Humphry of Sudbury. William Wood was a son of Joseph. The Rev William Gilson Humphry was a son of William Wood. William Wood married Betsy Ann Gilson, sister to Octavia.

John Thomas Gilson was a son of John Gilson also a surgeon of Chelmsford. John Gilson was born in Colchester in about 1768 and died in Great Baddow in 1755. John Gilson appears to have lived in Great Baddow and practiced in nearby Chelmsford. He appears to have had 11 children. Unfortunately I have been unable to find any birth records but have been able to link Alice Jane, Caroline, Henry Snell, John Thomas and William George directly to him. The other 6 Charlotte, Jane, Ellen, Betsy Ann, Octavia and Sophia lived in Great Baddow at the time of John Gilson. All were born in Chelmsford between 1791 and 1819.