Author Topic: this could be impossible but here goes  (Read 3554 times)

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
Re: this could be impossible but here goes
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 September 12 06:40 BST (UK) »
  Hello again.   The Joseph Goulson born Ropsley in 1707 is a farrier. His father is another Benjamin. If I were a betting man, I'd say your Benjamin, a grandson of Joseph b1707, is your man!  Andrew

That's what I'm hoping for, the Flickr photographs are mine. The Goulson family are amongst my direct line ancestors, there is another family with the same name in the Coningsby area but as yet they haven't been connected. It seems both families were pretty close geographically back to the 1700's in Leicestershire too  but there isn't anything that ties them to each other.

And thanks to Edward for the link, now if I can just get the archives to start a search for the marriage bond I might get somewhere with Benjamin and Sarah.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 November 16 22:36 GMT (UK) »
From the Louth museum website I've found the following;

"Frederick Esberger liked to boast that his business was a long-established one, founded in 1818, according to his advertisements. In fact, in 1844 it was a relatively new business, founded only in the last three years. But Esberger could make his claim because he had taken over an older coach-making firm, that of Stephen A’Court, which had operated in the town since the 1820s, when it, too, had taken over an earlier firm, established by Benjamin Goulson, which probably had been established in 1818 (and was certainly in business in January 1823, when it appeared in the rate valuation book)."

I also have some news articles about a court case and bankrupt proceedings of Benjamin Goulson, farrier of Louth. These follow an incident where Benjamin treated a coach builder who had suffered a leg injury, the gentleman later had to have his leg amputated.

I have now tried three times to find details for the marriage bond (via the archives research service) with no luck. Lot's of information and dates but still can't pin it down to being my chap. ???

Offline pamthomas

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 November 16 11:29 GMT (UK) »
  Hello again.   The Joseph Goulson born Ropsley in 1707 is a farrier. His father is another Benjamin. If I were a betting man, I'd say your Benjamin, a grandson of Joseph b1707, is your man!  Andrew

That's what I'm hoping for, the Flickr photographs are mine. The Goulson family are amongst my direct line ancestors, there is another family with the same name in the Coningsby area but as yet they haven't been connected. It seems both families were pretty close geographically back to the 1700's in Leicestershire too  but there isn't anything that ties them to each other.

And thanks to Edward for the link, now if I can just get the archives to start a search for the marriage bond I might get somewhere with Benjamin and Sarah.
Are you talking about the marriage bond referred to in my post #2 in this thread?
If so, then there's no 'searching' as such to be done as you have the reference.
Also, Archives will send you (for a fee which might be cheaper than travel costs :)) a photocopy of the bond. Note that I think it's marriage bonds which usually have two pages.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 November 16 12:11 GMT (UK) »
I've contacted them a few times with the reference both via email and phone asking for cost and a copy without success. I'm in Scotland so it's cheaper/quicker to use their service than try myself but the Archives never work out for me, the library is  different story, I've had heaps from them in the past without any trouble.

Offline pamthomas

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 November 16 12:20 GMT (UK) »
I've contacted them a few times with the reference both via email and phone asking for cost and a copy without success. I'm in Scotland so it's cheaper/quicker to use their service than try myself but the Archives never work out for me, the library is  different story, I've had heaps from them in the past without any trouble.
That is really bad of them. Are they trying to do themselves out of a job?
Think I'd be asking to speak to the person in charge and complaining long and loud, and if that still didn't get a result then I'd be making noises to the county council.

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 04 November 16 12:27 GMT (UK) »
I am really surprised that you are experiencing any problems with the Lincoln Archives as I have always found them to be very helpful & efficient.

If you send an e-mail to Archive.Copies&lincolnshire.gov.uk (change to & to a @), quoting the references and asking for a price, they will generally respond with 72 hours.

regards

Edward
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk