Author Topic: Hall, Boyd, Greer families of Lurgan, distillers - a connection?  (Read 7612 times)

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hall, Boyd, Greer families of Lurgan, distillers - a connection?
« on: Tuesday 11 September 12 23:43 BST (UK) »

I am trying to establish the nature of a possible connection between three Lurgan  families  between about 1750 to 1850: the Boyds, the Greers and the Halls. I know that a Joseph Hall who died c 1793, was a distiller.   In an 1825 Vintners Guide there are refs to "James Boyd - strong ale and table beer" - the same man had a brewery in 1819.  There's also a Greer and Boyd Distillery in that guide.

We have found  a Joseph Halll Boyd  Esq in 1831,1835, 1840,1852), so it seems that some  Halls and Boyds did intermarry.

If anyone can shed some more light on the connections  i woul be very grateful!

Walsh family - Listowel, Kerry; Alderney, Guernsey,  Adelaide Melbourne, New York Texas
Hall family - Toberhewney, Lurgan; Derryhoar, Tyrone; Melbourne, Australia, Quin, Clare
Downes family - Cahermurphy, Kilmihil, Clare, Adelaide Australia
Neville family - Shanagolden, Limerick, Dandenong, Victoria, Australia
Hanora Barrett - Shanagolden, Limerick, Geelong and Dandenong, Victoria, Australia

Lawry family - St Austell, Cornwall, Tasmania, Kalgoorlie, Riddells Creek Australia

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hall, Boyd, Greer families of Lurgan, distillers - a connection?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 23:49 BST (UK) »
PRONI shows details of Joseph Hall Boyd- "The Will of Joseph Hall Boyd late of University-square Belfast in the County of Antrim Esquire deceased who died 9 March 1861 at same place was proved at Belfast by the oaths of the Reverend Edward Hincks of Killyleagh in the County of Down Clerk James Shaw and Charles Wolfe Shaw both of Belfast aforesaid Merchants the Executors." You can click on the link for image to read the Will (6 pages) which might give clues about relatives or business interests.
http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearch.aspx
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 10:32 BST (UK) »
Charlotte, relict of Joseph Hall Boyd mentioned in this article about Shankill graveyard- "This is the burial ground of the Boyd family. On his death, James Boyd was known to have left £2371 to the poor of Lurgan."
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=75606b9b-41d8-48a6-9778-5a8d87ab0cde

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 23:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your speedy  reponse, I will look into this. Its probably unlikely, i didnt think the halls were particularly well off, but you have given me a lead that I hadnt thought of!
Walsh family - Listowel, Kerry; Alderney, Guernsey,  Adelaide Melbourne, New York Texas
Hall family - Toberhewney, Lurgan; Derryhoar, Tyrone; Melbourne, Australia, Quin, Clare
Hanora Barrett - Shanagolden, Limerick, Geelong and Dandenong, Victoria, Australia

Lawry family - St Austell, Cornwall, Tasmania, Kalgoorlie, Riddells Creek Australia

Offline AndyMcElroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 September 12 00:08 BST (UK) »
Hi, Walsh of Guernsey

In Matier's - Belfast Directory of 1835-36 there is the mention of:

Greer & Boyd, Esqrs., Distillers, Lurgan.

George Greer, Esq., Residence at Woodville,
Matthew Boyd, Esq., Lurgan, and
Samuel Greer, Esq., Lurgan.

There is no mention of a Hall family as distillers.

Link to the directory is at:

http://lurgan-ancestry.co.uk/index.php/street-directories-2/matiers-belfast-directory-1835/

I replied to a post by Blacckhawk, who was also tracing distillers in Lurgan, you should maybe try to contact him.

Regards,
Andy McElroy.

lurgan-ancestry.co.uk, Lurgan and the McElroy family from Lurgan.

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 September 12 11:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andy, I think i might just concentrate on the Halls for now, a connection witht the boyds or Greers now seems  rather unlikely, although I think thomas hall was a neighbour in lurgan's main street.

Offline Hall and MacCormac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 07:55 GMT (UK) »
I am descended from Colonel Joseph Hall of 'Hall Place' in Lurgan, County Armagh, who was said to have been a prosperous distiller with additional farmland. He invested in property with his son in law, John MacCormac (d. 1811), and was the grandfather of Dr Henry MacCormac (1800-1886), whose mother was a Hall-Mary Ann Hall (1766-1846). I read in the Belfast Journal that Joseph Hall may have fallen on hard times and this may explain why the Halls were not associated with a distillery later on.

If anyone can provide direct information on the origins of this Hall family (or indeed the MacCormac family) in the eighteenth and seventeenth century, that would be helpful. The origins of the Hall family and MacCormacs are unclear-but both, particularly the Halls, were quite well-to-do- seemingly

Offline Hall and MacCormac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 December 14 19:53 GMT (UK) »

I am trying to establish the nature of a possible connection between three Lurgan  families  between about 1750 to 1850: the Boyds, the Greers and the Halls. I know that a Joseph Hall who died c 1793, was a distiller.   In an 1825 Vintners Guide there are refs to "James Boyd - strong ale and table beer" - the same man had a brewery in 1819.  There's also a Greer and Boyd Distillery in that guide.

We have found  a Joseph Halll Boyd  Esq in 1831,1835, 1840,1852), so it seems that some  Halls and Boyds did intermarry.

If anyone can shed some more light on the connections  i woul be very grateful!
I am descended from Colonel Joseph Hall of 'Hall Place' in Lurgan, County Armagh, who was said to have been a prosperous distiller with additional farmland. He invested in property with his son in law, John MacCormac (d. 1811), and was the grandfather of Dr Henry MacCormac (1800-1886), whose mother was a Hall-Mary Ann Hall (1766-1846). I read in the Belfast Journal that Joseph Hall may have fallen on hard times and this may explain why the Halls were not associated with a distillery later on.

If anyone can provide direct information on the origins of this Hall family (or indeed the MacCormac family) in the eighteenth and seventeenth century, that would be helpful. The origins of the Hall family and MacCormacs are unclear-but both, particularly the Halls, were quite well-to-do- seemingly

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 December 14 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello again - what dates to you have for Colonel Joseph Hall of Hall Place Lurgan?
I found a Joseph Hall buried in 1793 in Lurgan, might he be the same one?

Pardon my ignorance, but what would he have been a colonel of? (My knowledge of military matters is about zero)

Cheers,
Cathy