Author Topic: Myrangle NSW?  (Read 6222 times)

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Myrangle NSW?
« on: Thursday 20 September 12 04:20 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information on Myrangle near Cumnock in central NSW?
Also happy to hear from anyone who might have access to electoral rolls or post office directories that contain a listing for this town around 1870.
I am not sure when the town was settled.

Thanks, Katharine.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Myrangle NSW?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 September 12 05:19 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

May I gently suggest that if you are looking for forebears who were in that district in the 1870s that the surnames at least will help RChatters to help you.

I think you will find that Myrangle Creek runs through Yullundry and that Yullundry is near to Cumnock, and that it was and still is a significant Sheep district.    Have you searched for Pastoral Companies that could well be still in existence and that date from that era? 

On your recent thread I recall giving a live link for the 1872 Grevilles Post Office Directory.  Here’s the link to that message with that live link at reply # 11. http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,614670.msg4648010.html#msg4648010

Here’s some info about Yullundry from Greville’s 1875 PO Directory
“YULLUNDRY – a settlement in the police district of Molong, electorate and county of Wellington…..”

Have you tried the following  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,538663.0.html

On your earlier thread at reply # 9 you asked me “Where did you get the NSW ER …..”  I answered at reply # 10.  But just in case you missed it, the NSW State Library in Macquarie St, Sydney definitely  has the early rolls, including the 1870 and the 1878 ones for the electorate of Wellington (and for all of NSW). 

Cheers,  JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 September 12 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I have made a couple of STD phone calls to rellies who were raised and who raised their families ‘on the land’ in the Cumnock area.   I think you will find that a family surnamed JOHNSON or JOHNSTON held several pastoral leases, in total around 3000 sheep in about 1900 until around WWI.  The pastoral district was Molong.    One of the sons was possibly named Charles JOHNSTON and he then took over Myrangle from his late Dad just before the War. Myrangle was a large lease, and had a school house, and various families living there, including the labourers, the domestics for the main homestead etc.  One of the other brothers/nephews/cousins took over the property named Dilga at Dilga(possibly Jim) and another family member  (Don perhaps) got a property named Silverdeen.   This is ORAL information only and mostly drawn from a chap who is aged in his late 90s and he is remembering info passed on to him decades ago.  I did not press him for further info.   As it is oral history, please do not rely on it without further detailed 'proper' research.

I have looked up the NSW ER 1903 for CANOBOLAS, and the Cumnock polling place.
Charles JOHNSON (note, no “T”), was a farmer at Myrangle
Donald JOHNSTON (note the “T”) was a farmer at Myrangle
James JOHNSTON (“T”) farmer at Myrangle
John JOHNSTON (“T”) farmer at Myrangle

There are others with various surnames at Myrangle on that Canobolas roll.

I also checked the NSW ER 1903 for ROBERTSON and polling at Wellington.  At Thornton Street Wellington was a Jonas ATKINSON, a labourer and also a Joseph ATKINSON, a labourer.  These early rolls do not give street numbers or house names so it is not possible to confirm if Jonas and Joseph were both enrolled at the same exact address.   I mention Joseph ATKINSON as you were asking about him on the thread I linked earlier.  And you have recently asked about Ullundry or Menangle near to Molong on the following thread.  I wonder if Menangle was actually MYRANGLE?   

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,615315.0.html 

Cheers,  JM   
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 September 12 11:52 BST (UK) »
JM.

Thanks a million for the information. As you have noticed, I am researching this place name in regard to my Joseph ATKINSON as per the other threads.
I was given information from a birth transcript which gave him as a shepherd resident at Menangle, Yullundry.

Today I was having a look at the parish maps again and noticed in the parish neighbouring that of Yullundry, that there was a town plot set aside and named Myrangle.

I have assumed that given the proximity of this to Yullundry, that the transcription (or the person recording the birth in the first instance) has mispelt Myrangle as Menangle.

All these places seem fairly close together.

Katharine.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 September 12 05:26 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I have found some spare moments to look through some of my early Electoral Rolls for a Joseph ATKINSON.

NSW ER 1870 (electorate of) THE BOGAN,  Police District of MOLONG
ATKINSON, Joseph,  residing at Nyrangle (yes, spelling with “N”), situate at Yullundry.   

NSW ER 1878, THE BOGAN,  Molong PD
Joseph ATKINSON, freeholder, Gunner’s Dam

Please do remember to check for the variations in the boundaries of the various NSW Government departments districts.  For example, the “Molong Police District” boundaries were not exactly the same as the “Molong Pastoral District”  boundaries, and of course were not the same as the NSW BDM’s “Molong District” boundaries etc.

On one of your other completed threads you mention that you have the details of the parents of your Joseph ATKINSON, but not the details for his wife’s parents.   The details on your chap’s marriage certificate should provide you with both sets of parents, and without that information you don’t have direct formal confirmation that you are on the right track, afterall the information on a NSW marriage certificate is information providing by the two parties who were to be married to each other, while information on death certs simply cannot be provided directly by the deceased. 

Is it likely that your chap was married in 1868 to a Catherine McKenna/Mackenna and the marriage registered in the Orange district?   If so, perhaps it is likely that the NSW BDM only have a copy of the SUMMARY information forwarded in 1868, thus it is likely that they do not have the details recorded on their marriage files for either sets of parents of the bride and the groom.  From the NSW BDM mc the name of the Rev’d, the denomination, and the witnesses should be available even if it is only drawn from the summary.   It is then up to you to contact the relevant church archivist (often a part time voluntary position) to seek out the formal confirming further information.

On the off chance that your Joseph ‘s wife was Catherine McKenna, I have looked up the NSW ER 1870 ORANGE and the following MAY (and of course, may not) be part of her family.
John MCKENNA, freeholder, Brown’s Creek
James MCKENNA, residence, Brown’s Creek

And then I looked up NSW ER 1878 ORANGE
John MCKENNA, freeholder, Brown’s Creek
William McKENNA, freeholder, Brown’s Creek

Perhaps this information will help with your further searching of those Civil Parish Maps.  Please don't overlook getting to the Electoral Rolls for yourself, as quite often the names of the larger pastoral leases or the freehold properties were all that was needed for the addresses at that time.  It could well be that there were properties named Myrangle Station, Menangle Station and Nyrangle Station all in and around Yullundry.   

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 September 12 05:31 BST (UK) »
Re
Today I was having a look at the parish maps again and noticed in the parish neighbouring that of Yullundry, that there was a town plot set aside and named Myrangle.

There's many a "paper" settlement/village/township been drawn up on the various maps in anticipation of a formal subdivision for a village etc WHICH THEN does not eventuate.    I think one of the best examples was the NSW Colonial Government's expectation that the proposed Capital for the proposed Federation would be up near Port Stephens NSW.   

Cheers,  JM

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 September 12 08:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM. As you suggested on one of the other threads, I have made contact with the relevant church regarding the missing details from the NSW marriage certificate. I will have a bit of a wait though, because the records have apparently been taken to Bathurst to be microfilmed for preservation. They will get back to me in due course.
In the meanwhile I have applied for the birth transcription for one birth in 1866. This was registered in Orange, but the family could well have been over near Myrangle even at that time.
Yes, I do have details of his parents as given on his death certificate, and hopefully this will be confirmed when I get my information from the church register. I realise that coming from an informant the information can have inaccuracies, but am fairly confident it is correct - having evidence of his parentage from other sources.

It seems that Myrangle was certainly a station name in the locality of Yullundry, and as I said it did have a town plot, but I don't think it did eventuate. There was a school there, but it didn't come into existence until after my family had moved further north of Yullundry to the conditional purchases that Atkinson made (at and near Gunner's Dam).

Catherine gives her maiden name on documents as McGrath, but her first marriage (maybe only defacto?) was to McKenna. She did have at least one child to the first marriage who gives his place of birth as Queens Co. on documentation.

But I don't have their immigration, no marriage, or husband's name, so until I get the marriage to Atkinson details, I have very little to go on.

There doesn't seem to be anything in the NSW indexes that equate to her first marriage, or the birth of the first child either. The first child was born about 1858/9 and by 1862 Catherine was living in sin with Joseph Atkinson when their first child was born. So, if the first child WAS born in Ireland then she must have arrived with the child sometime between 1858 and 1862. If the child was born here then Catherine could have arrived at any stage! The dates and ages we have on certificates don't all match up so it does make it harder.

Katharine.

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 September 12 14:37 BST (UK) »
JM - let me pick your brain please ;D
I have just found out that the marriage did not take place in a church, for the person listed as performing the ceremony was a Clerk of Petty Sessions, and therefore I assume the marriage was actually at the courthouse.
I have previously contacted the courthouse, but was told: "Some old books are currently stored in these premises, but information is not able to be accessed from them for information for the public. "   
How can I get my missing information? Any suggestions?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 September 12 02:23 BST (UK) »
JM - let me pick your brain please ;D
I have just found out that the marriage did not take place in a church, for the person listed as performing the ceremony was a Clerk of Petty Sessions, and therefore I assume the marriage was actually at the courthouse.
I have previously contacted the courthouse, but was told: "Some old books are currently stored in these premises, but information is not able to be accessed from them for information for the public. "   
How can I get my missing information? Any suggestions?

Hi there,

Would you please type up ALL the information found on the specific marriage certificate, under each of the headings, and in the 'white space' and outside any margins but NOT any information/speculation that is NOT on the certificate.   I am presuming you have a fairly recently issued NSW BDM certificate (ie this century) rather than an Official Transcription.   

It was not until the mid 1980s that the various Court Houses were required to forward their physical registers of these BDM registrations to Sydney to the Registrar's Head Office.  I would not expect to find the register at the Orange Court House NOW, but I am aware there were registers there in the 1970s, as I was already very interested in family history research.

You are writing about a marriage that was registered at Orange in 1868.  This is prior to the introduction of Divorce in NSW (1873). 

19th Century NSW marriages were usually celebrated by a minister of religion conducting both the religious ceremony (to the various laws of that denomination/faith) and (after the introduction of civil registration) the civil registration component.   The civil registration was usually commenced with the parties signing the civil register immediately after signing the parish register.    I am not actually aware of any NSW marriages prior to 1873 (NSW Divorce commences) that were ONLY of a civil ceremony and without any religious ceremony. 

It was not unusual for a religious ceremony to take place in a family home, or at a hotel, or out in the open air.  It did not need to be celebrated WITHIN a Church building.

Cheers,  JM