Author Topic: WISEMAN family in Fordyce parish BANFF  (Read 12745 times)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
WISEMAN family in Fordyce parish BANFF
« on: Friday 21 September 12 15:19 BST (UK) »
I have recently found my 4 x g grandmother Janet WISEMAN getting married in Fordyce parish 1783 (groom George Brodie/Brody  sailor) She died in Portsoy in 1847

Wiseman doesn't seem a very Scottish sort of name. Does anyone have any background on the WISEMAN family thereabouts? I'm always aware that families in coastal areas could be incomers but there were a few around.

I've looked for her baptism and found 4 likely girls, all in Banff and called Janet.
I've looked for marriages and found 6 likely lasses, 3 called Janet, 3 called Jean all in Banff.

Cannot think of how to eliminate the incorrect ones............... tried killing them off but they all seemed to survive to their early 20's.

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WISEMAN family in Fordyce parish BANFF
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 September 12 16:04 BST (UK) »
hi, i can only see a marriage fordyce 31 aug 1783  between jannet wiseman and  george brodie   source IGI

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 September 12 17:48 BST (UK) »
WISEMAN marriages about the same time as my 4 x g grandparents:

George Paterson m   Jannet Wiseman      03 Oct 1783 Banff,Banff,Scotland
Thomas Robson m Jean Wiseman      03 Feb 1782    Banff,Banff,Scotland
George Brodie m Jannet Wiseman      31 Aug 1783    Fordyce,Banff,Scotland
James West m Jean Wiseman         27 Jan 1787 Gamrie,Banff,Scotland
Alexander Wilson m Jannet Wiseman      22 Apr 1780   Rathven,Banff,Scotland
Alexr. Ross m Jean Wiseman         06 Nov 1788   Rathven,Banff,Scotland

All from FamilySearch

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 September 12 18:37 BST (UK) »
  i thought what i had read was groom* brodie *

so hence my last post

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 September 12 19:39 BST (UK) »
Wiseman doesn't seem a very Scottish sort of name.

Actually there are quite a lot of Wisemans in Moray/Banffshire; According to G F Black's The Surnames of Scotland the earliest documented reference to it is in 1232, in Moray. It occurs right down the east coast of Scotland.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 September 12 19:42 BST (UK) »
In the 19th century some of the commonest names in Gardenstown and Crovie were Watt, West and Wiseman. The Wisemans were mostly fishermen.

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 September 12 07:43 BST (UK) »
Have modified my original post, it WAS my 4 x g grandfatherGeorge Brodie who married Janet Wiseman 1783 Fordyce, in MY tree. Sorry to confuse!

Interesting that WISEMAN was such a common name in the area and for so long. The reason I wondered about it, in English genealogy it is often the Anglicized form of a Jewish name. A friend had terrible trouble finding some of his ancestors when they escaped the ghettos of Latvia and came to England, because of a name change to something that sounded more English.

GR2's mention of the Wiseman's being fishermen fits in with my Brodie's who were sailors and seamen at the time.

Gen in NBL England

Offline lakeview

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 November 12 19:37 GMT (UK) »
I have a Jane Wiseman DOB 1804 in my tree, daughter of George Wiseman and Janet Geddes.  She was born in Keith, but all of her older siblings were born in Rathven, including a sister Janet, DOB 29Mar1789.  Do you feel there is any connection between this family and your Wisemans?  If so, please send me a private message and we can share information.

Jean
Buchan, Finnie, Hazel, Brebner, Burgin or Bergen, Thurlby, Doherty, Murray, Livingstone, Jennings, Peeling, Hayes

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 November 12 05:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello lakeview

I only found the WISEMAN surname when checking ScotlandsPeople online. I have no further info about that line, sorry.

Gen in cold, NBL England