Author Topic: Wray/Kincaid- Taughboyne, Donegal  (Read 16603 times)

Offline fambuff2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wray/Kincaid- Taughboyne, Donegal
« on: Wednesday 26 September 12 22:20 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help with my research for my Gt. Grandparents. Names were Joseph Shelbourne Wray b. abt 1863 and Rebecca Kincaid b. abt 1843. I found them on the 1901 census for Tullyannon Glebe, Taughboyne, Raphoe Barony but they disappear at 1911. My grandpa aged 9 and another brother aged 12 were living with their older brother, also Joseph, and his family at 1911 census. I suspect from this that my Gt. Grandparents may have died between 1901/1911 census but I can't find anything at all about them i.e. births, a marriage or a death for them. No immediate family members left who know anything. Nothing in Parish records that I can find. It's driving me nuts  :(  Thanks for any help that anyone may have.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wray/Kincaid- Taughboyne, Donegal
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 22:37 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

For reference here's the family in 1901 census:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Castleforward/Tullyannon_Glebe/1190606

Possible death for Joseph?
Joseph Wray, age 65, Jan./Mar.1908, Donegal registration district volume 2 page 36
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 22:47 BST (UK) »
Came across mention of the family here which points to a link to All Saints Church, Newtowncunningham- have you checked to see if there are any burial records for Joseph & Rebecca?

http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/RobertThompsonInishowen.htm

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline fambuff2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 September 12 15:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the replies and information and I will follow up on the death info you gave for Joseph Wray. I did have the 1901/1911 census from nationalarchives.ie but couldn't get further than that. Is All Saints Parish the same as Taughboyne Parish as I did receive the dates of birth of grandpa's siblings from the latter, but no marriage or death information. I know 2 of grandpa's brothers were killed in WW1, (Charles Henry & John) and are mentioned on the Parish memorial wall. One of grandpa's nephews Charles was awarded the MM and I have his army records. I really appreciate the help as I'm a bit "blocked" here and I know someone out there will have a wee snippet that will let me kick start that Gt. Grandparent generation of the Wray/Kincaid stems.

Offline Carrigans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 November 12 17:46 GMT (UK) »
A few points that may add to your knowledge; Firstly, Emily Wray, who was the sister of Charles and John Wray (both killed in WW1) became Mrs Emily Beattie and lived at Nixon's Corner, Ballougry, which is a few miles from Londonderry. Secondly, a memorial hall was erected in Carrigans, County Donegal, in remembrance of the men from the Carrigans district who died in WW1. The names of John and Charles Wray and 29 other names were read out at the hall dedication ceremony in 1920. Sadly the memorial hall was maliciously destroyed by fire in 1971. Finally, Charles and John are commemorated on the rolls of honours of both Newtoncunningham and Taughboyne Parish churches. 

Offline Carrigans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 November 12 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Apologies, my previous post was inaccurate as it should have said that Emily Beattie (of Nixons Corner) was a niece of Charles and John Wray. (Source of this information is 'Inishowen Heroes 1914-1918' which was compiled and edited by Robert Thompson, ISBN 978-0-9537583-6-4)

Offline fambuff2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 November 12 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your reply. Since I was last here, I have been checking my suspicion that Charles & John were not sons of Joseph ShelbourneWray & Martha Gardiner, but in fact were my grandpa's brothers and  sons of Joseph Wray and Rebecca Kincaid. I have had this confimed through baptismal records. JS Wray was also my grandpa's brother. I have Mr Thompsons book and have informed him of the above for his future reference. I have now managed to break the stalemate I had with this stem of the tree and have obtained copy records of births, deaths & marriages.

I thank you for your help once again.
Kind regards

Offline Carrigans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 November 12 13:58 GMT (UK) »
I am glad that you got your family tree clarified. Did the parent of Charles and John both die between the 1901 and 1911 census?. John Wray who died on the first day of the Battle of the Somme was only about 17 years old and the youngest from the Carrigans area to die in the Great War, do you know his date of birth? I have been researching the men from the Carrigans area who died. My father, who was 9 years old at the time, remembers the men parading through Carrigans on their way to catch the train to go off to the Great War.

Offline fambuff2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 November 12 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi I do have his and charles d.o.b. I will post it on here when I am at home. I think that my great grandparents must have died between those dates as I can't find any trace of them. I'm in the process of tracking down the deaths.

I'll come back to you in a few days.
All the best