Author Topic: Lindsay & 58th (Rutlandshire) foot regiment  (Read 9711 times)

Offline pmrobbo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lindsay & 58th (Rutlandshire) foot regiment
« Reply #18 on: Monday 08 October 12 06:48 BST (UK) »
BMD on Samuel Lindsay death

When died: 5 June 1852
Name:    Samuel Lindsay
Sex: Male
Age 39
Rank. Private. Soldier 58th Regiment
Cause of Death. Inflammation of the bowels.
Signature of informant: Edward Swords. Lance Corporal 58th Regiment Auckland
When registered. 7th June 1852

I suspect this is the husband of Honora Lindsay who died in 1890s and speaks of her husband in the 58th Regiment.

Were there two Samuel Lindsays both married to a different Honora Lindsay's
The possible differences: Honora's maiden name Carroll versus Connor
Samuels occupation - one listed as private 58th. The other reference is a shoemaker
Perhaps the death certificate for a Samuel Linsay 1860 may shed more light.

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 08 October 12 17:40 BST (UK) »
On the link you gave in your initial posting - "Early Auckland Deaths" at the ouraucklandstuff website, there used to also be available, an "Early Auckland Births" listing.  Sadly the link seems no longer to be working.  But it is an excellent resource which contains early births (I think covering the wider Auckland region? ) - many of which were extracted from church records and don't necessarily appear on NZ BDM's site. 
Are you in proximity to Auckland Library ?  If so, they have it in their catalogue as "Births Pertaining to Early Auckland :  Shirley

Link for records mentioned above
http://ouraucklandstuff.freeservers.com/KendallKL.htm

No Lindsay births in that database

Bye
Althea

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 01:22 BST (UK) »

Perhaps the death certificate for a Samuel Linsay 1860 may shed more light.

Hi again

Very probably the Samuel LINSAY 1860 death (@ NZ BDM - online) relates to the following ?

Burial Records for Symonds Street Cemetery, Auckand

The Anglican St. Paul's Register has Samuel LINDSAY, a carpenter aged 15 years, of Chancery Street, who died 10 March 1860, buried 11 March 1860.

[This Samuel LINDSAY - born about 1845 - may well be the child Samuel, s/o Samuel and "Annorah" LINDSAY whose birth was registered as Parramatta, NSW, Australia in 1844 ? ]

~  Lu

Offline Shells1842

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 19 November 12 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have just found this chat and maybe able to add and or clarify a few this that have been discussed.
I am the great great great great grand daughter of Samuel and Honora Lindsay (nee O'Connor). Their daughter Eliza married Alfred Barchard.
 In my search for more info on the Lindsays I have discovered that there is the possibility of more than one Samuel and Honora Lindsay here in Auckland. Looking back to Ireland there seem to be alot of Samuel and Honora Lindsays at the same time across Ireland - it appears to be like looking for John Smith. Spelling of names also seems to be an issue - wether due miss spellings or to people missreading writing and putting wrong spellings in digital form or as I have found people assuming someones name being other due to their nickname as in the case of a family member of mine who was named Alfred but was known as Fred and in some cases they called him Fredrick.
Anyway Samuel and Honora (nee O'Connor) Lindsay were married in Limerick Ireland approx 1827 when she was 16. They came to NZ in 1841/42 with 4 or 5 children and went on to have another 3 or 4 children once here. This is information that Eliza Barchard (nee Lindsay) gave on the early settlers roll in the late 1800s. So by the time Honora died in 1893 5 of her 8 children were deceased as was Samuel. Honora was living with her daughter Eliza Barchard, my great great great grandmother at the time of her death. I have no idea the names of any of the other 7 Lindsay children but undoubtedly there would have been a Samuel.
I haven't found a record of Samuel once they got here and have been searching online and so far have found nothing other than the mention of Honora's quest for the services rendered claim. It appears that many of these claims were rejected and people continued to fight for these claims for years if they were denied as they could amount to quite a sum of money if granted. I do not know if this is Honora Lindsay nee O'connor or nee Carroll.
As for the tree found on ancestry website this is for my family the Barchards. Matilda Barchard is one of Alfred and Eliza's 6 children - whoever wrote that Honora Lindsay died in Limerick is incorrect, she did die here in NZ. The record for Eliza Lindsay and Alfred Barchard's marriage held at BDM is a signed permission for Eliza to marry Alfred  as she was only 16 when they wed. There are no helpful details on this paper. The Barchard family lived down by the wharf as Alfred owned the Wharf hotel,QueenSt, from 1853ish till 1864ish then he ran a couple of "hotels" in Queen st before being bankrupted in 1867. The family then moved to Tapu Creek (Thames area) to start a new life before returning to Auckland in the late 1870s early 1880s. I don't know if Honora Lindsay was living with them while they were away or if she moved in with them when they returned. And this is where she was with them in Cook St when she died.
I am in contact with the decendants of Matilda Barchard in Oz and they also found the birth of Samuel Lindsay to Annorah and Samuel - we are unsure if this is anything to do with Honora Lindsay nee O'Connor or not.
I am hoping to finally get to the library to do some more research as I seem to have exhuasted all I can find on the net. If I find anything worthwhile I will let you know.
I hope some of this helps. I look forward to seeing future posts and wether we are decendants of the same Samuel and Honora.
Cheers Shelley

Offline Suzie_Australia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have just discovered this post and hopefully it may reach its owner.

I have thoroughly read through the posts relating to the Lindsay family in New Zealand and at the end was wondering if there was a final conclusion about Samuel Linsday and Honora, whether her maiden name was Carroll or O'Connor.

I am researching the Lindsay family on behalf of my husband.  His grandfather was William Ernest Lindsay (son of Alfred Lindsay and Martha Burke) born 1888 Otago New Zealand and died 1953 in Fitzroy, Melbourne. 

William Ernest Lindsay married Sarah Hutton in New South Wales in 1935.  They then adopted Shirley June Lindsay, who is my husband's mother.

I am now back researching the Lindsay family as I left them alone and moved over to some other branches.  Through 'googling' (as you do), I came across the post.  So I am just wondering which direction I should head with Samuel Lindsay and his wife Honora (Carroll or O'Connor).

Regards to all,
Suzanne

So, I am not sure which direction I should be heading and hoping for some clarification
Hays/Hayes (County Down); Gentry (Essex); Quelch (Oxford, Middlesex); Majory (County Down); Mungovan (County Clare); Enright (County Clare)