Author Topic: Birth of disabled child  (Read 12463 times)

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of disabled child
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 October 12 23:16 BST (UK) »
I was thinking too would there have to be some history of dwarfism?  No wish to be disrespectful as I don't know enough about it but I wouldn't have thought it would be something to happen out of the blue if you know what I mean.

Was it just a term that was used to describe him  :-\ and who was the other member of the family named after him - could be a clue there?

according to one article on google, the majority of cases of dwarfism occur in otherwise normal height families
Some causes of dwarfism are genetic in origin but others can occur randomly
Medically, the term "dwarf" is used for anyone who is less than 4 ft 10 in when a fully-grown adult - although it can be diagnosed well before adulthood
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 October 12 00:43 BST (UK) »
I would think you can  rule out the death at age 0 - and possibly even the one age 2

For it to be said he was a dwarf, he must have lived long enough to be obviously and consistently much smaller than average for his age
Am not sure exactly what age this would be apparent, but i would guess it would be early childhood rather than whilst still a baby

My niece's sister in law has a child with dwarfism. Apparently it was obvious soon after birth as his limbs are shorter than average and his head is larger. They knew from scans that he would be like this, but obviously that wouldn't be the case in the 1900s. He has had a lot of medical problems which the hospital have managed to control, but again that wouldn't have been possible years ago, so one of those deaths could be Albert.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline peb21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 October 12 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just a thought, if Louisa was  living in west Ham in 1891 + 1901, it wasn't until 1911 that you know that she is living in Sydenham. Could you be looking in the wrong area?.

I'm not saying this is your one.
But there is a birth for a Albert Edwin Jones born Jun qtr 1906 Poplar?

There is also a death Jun qtr 1906 Poplar.
Albert Edwin Jones      aged 1mth   12 May 1906    Stepney Limehouse Union.  There's no mention of parents.

I must admit it was the middle name that drew me to this one.

Offline annel80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 16:22 GMT (UK) »
peb21, I have only just seen your post as I don't seem to be getting e mail notifications. This birth is indeed a possible , I will look at my records and see whether the dates fit. Thanks
Jones in Lewisham, West Ham , Kent and Tonnay Charente France
Belgeul / Bellegoeul (many spellings) in St Aubin and Sainte Josse Pas de Calais and Paris France

Offline annel80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello again peb21. The Edwin middle name as you say might be a clue as that would have been the grandfathers name. With the death date you stated as being in the June quarter , how did you get the specific
Belgeul / Bellegoeul (many spellings) in St Aubin and Sainte Josse Pas de Calais and Paris France

Offline annel80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Sorry! The specific date in May ? Do you have access to the death certificates ?

Offline doubleRR

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 16:54 GMT (UK) »
You could apply for the birth certificate stating that you only want it if the mothers name is.........
My understanding is that they will not charge you if you make such a request  and the one you have ordered is not the correct one.
It looks a good possibility as the "Union" is not only the workhouse (If the family disowned her during her pregnancy) but also the hospital (if the child had a medical condition.
If you knew this was the correct birth then it would, for sure, be the correct death.
Parrish/Parish: Birmingham, Staffordshire, Shropshire.
Connections: Salt,  Gould,  Neath, Malpas(s), Cox, Jones, Pargeter,  Grainger, Greenaway, Bannister, Car(e)less, Broome, Dawes, Meese, Aga, Howard

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 18:18 GMT (UK) »
There is a private  baptism at Bromley by Bow All Hallows on 19th April 1906 for Albert Edwin Jones born 11th April  1906 abode Stepney Union Workhouse, who would appear  to be the same one who died 12 May 1906, his mother is Jane Elizabeth Jones  - so doesn't look as if he is yours.

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline annel80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, jan. I can rule him out then. Just out of interest, where did you find the baptism record?