Author Topic: ww1 leinster regiment  (Read 7112 times)

Offline dstapleton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ww1 leinster regiment
« on: Monday 08 October 12 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi All i would like to see if anybody has any information about the leinster regiment of the 2nd battalion that served during ww1 in france. My great grandfather fought and died here. It was only on his 80th anniversary that we discovered where he was buried. I have tried to find out more info on how he died, 1 site said their regiment were basically sent in to clear the way for the british soldiers.

None of my living family (mother and aunts) met him as he left behind their 5 year dad at the time to fight in this war. As it is edging closer to my mothers 60th birthday i would like to find out a lot more information and send her and her sisters out to france to visit his grave. I feel this should be undertaken by his family now that we know where he is. It is very sad to think that he has been buried there for so many years and nobody ever visited his gravestone.

His name was John Kavanagh and he was from Durrow in Laois. If you have any info regarding him personally, a picture (which would be a dream) or any info on his regiment/battalion it would mean so much to our family. Many thanks.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: ww1 leinster regiment
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 October 12 23:23 BST (UK) »
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 October 12 23:26 BST (UK) »
if so...you can get a photo of his grave from here for £3.50

http://www.twgpp.org/information.php?id=3412994
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 October 12 23:30 BST (UK) »
2nd Battalion, The Leinster Regiment were at Cork with 17th Brigade in 6th Division when war was declared in August 1914. They returned to England and moved Cambridge on the 18th of August then on to Newmarket. They proceeded to France on the 12th of September 1914 landing at St Nazaire. They marched at once across to the Aisne to reinforce the hard-pressed BEF. In mid October 1915 they transferred to 73rd Brigade, 24th Division. In 1916 they suffered in the German gas attack at Wulverghem and then moved to The Somme seeing action in The Battle of Delville Wood and The Battle of Guillemont. In 1917 they were in action at The Battle of Vimy Ridge in the Spring, The Battle of Messines in June and Third Battle of Ypres in October before moving south where they were in action during The Cambrai Operations when the Germans counter attacked. On the 1st of February 1918 the transferred to 47th Brigade in 16th (Irish) Division at Tincourt and absorbed troops from disbanded 7th Btn. On the 13th of April 1918 they absorbed troops from disbanded 6th Connaught Rangers and on the 23rd of April 1918, transferred to 88th Brigade in 29th Division. They were in action during the Advance in Flanders, including the The capture of Ploegsteert and Hill 63. After the Armistice 29th Division selected to occupy the Rhine bridgeheads in Germany and they crossed the Belgian-German border at Malmedy on the 4th of December 1918 and arrived in Cologne on the 9th. The 29th Division was demobilised in early 1919.

Offline dstapleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 00:28 BST (UK) »
Wow i didnt expect such a quick response. Thank you for all your information. I had tracked down the record of where he was buried through his number etc. I didnt realise though that we could get a picture of his gravestone. This is a great start alright. I am aware of where his graveyard is. It is going to be a bit awkward getting my parents there (have to travel to Amiens) However after looking into the history of his battalion, I seen 2 of the battles you mentioned were discussed. He fell on 28th of August, I would really love to know what happened to him but this is with him and we will never know I suspect. There are no pictures of him in the family home. I hope to go to our local library and research further. I want to see if there was any sort of send off so to speak (pictures or a write up in our local paper (The Leinster Express).

You have been a wealth of information and if you come across anything further I would be much obliged if you would inform me.

Kind Regards
Debbie

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 08:42 BST (UK) »
this is a LINK to the regiment's website

this is a LINK to Waterford County Museum which is interesting and although does not hold research information may be of value
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 14:17 BST (UK) »
i would google The Battle of Delville Wood ,,as i think this covers the period of your g grandads death.