Author Topic: Alexander King s/o Frederick of Tamlaght Finlagan  (Read 5115 times)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander King s/o Frederick of Tamlaght Finlagan
« on: Wednesday 10 October 12 03:59 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to trace Alexander KING b. 1814 Ireland (according to the 1852 Canadian census for Osnabruck township, Stormont County).  He was the father of Eliza KING who married Albert CUMMINGS and moved with her family to upper New York State.   Alexander on the 1852 census was widowed and after this record he disappears.

Also on the 1852 census was widowed Jane King b. 1814 Ireland, John King b. 1830 Ireland, Arthur King b. 1823 Ireland and Frederick King b. 1825 Ireland.  Arthur and Fred married and moved to upper New York State and then west.  By tracking their families I found records that linked Frederick to parents of Fred King and Jane Moore both of Ireland.  A death for a daughter of Arthur's indicated that Arthur was from Dary, Ireland.

From RootsIreland I pulled the Church of Ireland baptismal record of Alexander King baptized 03 Oct 1811 parish Tamlaght Finlagan Co. Derry with father Frederick King and mother Jane King.

Seems promising as a place to start for Alexander's origins.  Any thoughts.  I can't pull up a record of marriage for Fred King or a death for either Fred or wife Jane.

Debbie

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander King s/o Frederick of Tamlaght Finlagan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 09:21 BST (UK) »
Statutory recording of births and deaths didn’t start in Ireland till 1864, so if Fred or Jane died before that you won’t find a stat death record. The Church of Ireland did keep burial records, but not all records have survived and of those that do survive many are not on-line. So it’s not surprising that you haven’t found a record for them.

Many parish records have been copied and are held in the Public Record Office in Belfast (PRONI) but if you can’t get in to inspect them yourself you may need to employ a researcher.

I’d be careful about leaping to any conclusions about the family you have found. The surviving portion of the 1831 census for Co Derry has 77 households named King, including 2 headed by a Frederick King (one in Temain townland and the other in Camet, both in the parish of Balteagh). There was also a widow King, whose name will remain a mystery.
Elwyn

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 17:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  I was aware, from trying to find other Irish relatives, the limits of searching in Ireland.   I like these forums as people with more local knowledge can point out different aveues of research.

The baptism record for Alexander King shows an address of Moys.  I bought a few more certificates, using the names from the 1852 Canadian census.  There is a baptism on 21 Jan 1823 for Tamlaght Finlagan for Frederick King with parents Frederick King and Jane Moore.  Address is Moys.  The baptism for Arthur King is 09 Jul 1820 with parents Frederick King and Jane King and an address of Moyes. 

I forgot to add that I had found census records and a death for a Jane Daugherty, w/o Patrick, in Ohio.  He was born in Ireland and according to a family tree first went to Canada and then to Ohio.  Not sure when or where he and Jane married but her death registration in Ohio gives her parents as Frederick King and Jane Moore - both of Ireland.  Her birth was shown as 28 Jan 1828 Northern Ireland.

Debbie

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 17:44 BST (UK) »
The 1831 census (which only lists heads of household) has 4 King households in Moy: Hamilton King, Robert, Susanna & illegible.

This might be part of the same family: Griffiths Valuation for 1858 has a Joseph King renting a farm, outbuildings and a total of 9 acres on My townland. (Plot 28). (That farm today is between the Moys Rd and Polly’s Brae Rd).

Full Abstract :
Letters of Administration of the personal estate of Joseph King late of Moyes County Londonderry Farmer deceased who died 12 December 1871 at same place were granted at Londonderry to James Proctor of Newtownlimavady Esquire the sole Executor of James Kerr deceased a Creditor of said deceased.    Effects under £20

According to what looks like Joseph’s death in the indexes, he was born c 1798.

1 family still living there in 1901:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/The_Highlands/Moys/1522864/

2 in 1911. Note that one was RC and the other Presbyterian (different sets of records if you decide to check them out).

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/The_Highlands/Moys/593853/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/The_Highlands/Moys/593868/
Elwyn

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 October 12 12:40 BST (UK) »
I found this transcription from Ballykelly C of I Graveyard, Tamlaghtfinlagan Parish.

King
Jane wife of John King late of Her Majesties Customs at the port of Liverpool d 5 April 1871 - 66

Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 October 12 13:39 BST (UK) »
If you search the Freeholders' Registers at proni.gov.uk you will find quite a cluster of Kings living in Tamlaghtfinlagan Parish.

Robert King is living at Moyes. Unfortunately there  no specific date is given for this Registry but probably circa 1840.
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline RichardinMichigan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 August 15 02:01 BST (UK) »
I recently found an autosomal DNA match with "66northstar" who writes me "My Great Great Grandfather emigrated from County Londonderry to Canada in 1833. His name was Robert King and he came from Dungiven. He was born 1813 in County Londonderry and died 3 Jan 1880, North Augusta, Ontario, Canada. His father is also believed to be Robert King, born 1788 in County Londonderry. His wife was Margaret Wellington and born 21 Jun 1812, County Londonderry (probably Londonderry City). She died 31 Oct 1845, North Augusta, Ontario, Canada."

I, too, notice there was a Robert King living at Moyes -- there's no Robert at Dungiven shown in the 1831 census as far as I can see.  Kicker for me is that Moyes is the townland where my 4x great grandfather John Cochran(e) (ca. 1760/70-after 1831) and his brother Samuel Cochran(e) lived around 1805-1814 when their children were baptized at Ballykelly.  It could be Robert King, Sr. was married to a Cochran, or one of the allied lines I'm connected to. 

And it just might be this Robert King is related to Frederick King in some fashion.

Cheers!

Richard Cochran
Big Rapids, Michigan

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 August 15 07:31 BST (UK) »
Hi, looking at the 1861 Canadian census, there is an Alex King age 43 in the county of Lanark in Ontario. Is there any chance this could be him? In 1871, there is an Alexander King in Ontario age 53 in Brockville, Ontario. Don't know if either is him but it may be worth a look at. CAlso, came across this death and wonder could she be related to Alexander.....

Death:
Mary Jane King
died 8 July 1911
born 9 February in Yorkstown, Ontario
age 42 yrs 9 months
died in Petrolea, Ontario
occ: housewife
father: Alexander King- Ireland
mother: Elizabeth Patterson- Ireland
informant: Mrs Fred King
death occurred on 8 July 1911
cause: bullet passing through the heart

Hope something may help, Kim

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 August 15 21:26 BST (UK) »
There is probably some connection between Robert King and Alexander King.  The timeframe for migration fits.  The lastborn daughter of Frederick King and Jane Moore was born in Canada about 1832.  Perhaps Robert Sr. and Frederick were brothers?  Too bad more detail wasn't kept on some records available.

The Alexander King from the 1861 census in Lanark County is probably the son of James and Sarah - FamilySearch shows a birth in 1817 in Perth, Ontario for Alexander to this couple.  This ties in with the place of birth (Ontario) on the census.  Most likely the 1871 Brockville Alexander King married to Amelia Briggs is the same one from the 1861 census as both were carpenters.  By 1881 the family moved east to Montreal, Amelia dies in 1883 and I lose track of Alexander. 

Mary Jane King's death in 1911 shows father Alexander King.  He is found in the 1861 and 1871 census in Cavan, Durham East, Ontario, occupation brickmaker, stonemason.   Alexander's death certificate in the United States in 1919 shows his father was John King.