Author Topic: Bishop Transcripts - Marriages  (Read 3531 times)

Offline Suzie_Australia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Bishop Transcripts - Marriages
« on: Thursday 11 October 12 00:56 BST (UK) »
Other than Bishop Transcripts that are available through ancestry, find my past and IGI, are there any other sources that I could use to locate a marriage record. 

I have found two marriages and need to decide which one belongs to me.  Details are as follows:

1.  William Quelch m. Ann Harris 26 May 1805, Saint Anne Soho, Westminster, London

2.  William Quelch m. Ann Long 1800, St Martin in the Fields, Middlesex.

I am about 90% sure that the first marriage (Ann Harris) belongs to me.  Children started arriving 1808.

Children have been christened at St James, Westminster, London.

If I could find a hint of an occupation of William Quelch (snr), particularly "shoemaker", "bootmaker", etc, then that would solve which "Ann" he married.  Also their ages at time of marriage would help.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hays/Hayes (County Down); Gentry (Essex); Quelch (Oxford, Middlesex); Majory (County Down); Mungovan (County Clare); Enright (County Clare)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bishop Transcripts - Marriages
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 October 12 01:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

Both these marriages occurred in Westminster parishes so the parish registers are deposited at Westminster Archives. Findmypast is indexing and digitalising these parish registers

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/content/westminster-collection/parish-registers

Ancestry holds the parish registers deposited at the London Metropolitan Archives and the Guildhall Library. The LMA holds Bishop Transcripts which cover Westminster parishes where they survive. The yearly copies of registers made and sent to the Bishop were not always done, copied fully (sometimes particularly for marriages more a summary) copied without errors or if done survive. The LMA BTs are intermittent at best for Westminster parishes. The original church register should always be looked at if possible.

The IGi is an index.

Marriages this early will contain the status of the couple and which parish they had resided at for the last three weeks (often the same parish to avoid the cost of the banns being read in two churches). Whether one or other admitted to being a minor otherwise they would be of full age = 21 or older. Whether the marriage was by banns or licence (in which case an allegation may survive, though from experience nothing much survives for Westminster) and the signature or marks of the couple and at least two witnesses. By tradition the marriage usually took place in the bride's parish but addresses in London were often transitory.

Regards

Valda

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Suzie_Australia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 October 12 02:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda

Popped over to my library and jumped on findmypast.  Found the record for William Quelch and Ann Harris and printed off.  Married by banns, both signed with their name, also states both of this parish.

It is interesting that when I printed off the page there is an entry on the top of the page with a "John Nash" marrying.  Now I know that the Nash family and my Quelch family are connected.  So maybe I am on the right track.   

It does all seem to fit.  Do I rely on this as proof? Hmm!

Thank you
Hays/Hayes (County Down); Gentry (Essex); Quelch (Oxford, Middlesex); Majory (County Down); Mungovan (County Clare); Enright (County Clare)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 October 12 04:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

Considering the number of marriages occurring in London churches, the size of the population of the London area and the reasonable commonality of a surname like Nash if it is just that, it isn't a proven connection between this John Nash and this William Quelch?

Is there a proven connection with the John Nash who married Elizabeth Smart Greayer on 23rd May 1805? The bride according to an online tree was baptised in 1779 in Adderbury Oxordshire.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 October 12 05:19 BST (UK) »
Suzie,

Clutching at straws here, but have you located both Willam Quelches and Anns any censuses (assuming they lived long enough to be included in one, or two  :-\). I am just wondering if you may find some clues in any relatives who may be living with them? It can happen, if you're lucky.

Also perhaps looking for births for the William and Ann who married in 1800, might give you a timeline?  :-\

I'm not sure how common the surname Quelch is, but might it be that you have the one William marrying two Anns? It may be worth a quick look at death/burials for an Ann Quelch between 1800 and 1805?  :-\

Online ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 October 12 14:56 BST (UK) »
May or may not be relevent here.
There is a burial of an Ann Quelch in St.Andrews, Holborn, from the workhouse 15th Feb 1808.
There is a baptism of an Eliza Quelch to William and Ann for the same parish 3rd May 1801, couple are shown as from Portpool Lane (which was around 100 yards from the workhouse).

Hope this helps.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 October 12 00:56 BST (UK) »
Interesting finds ReadyDale.

Suzie, if you have births of children for your William and Ann, do you know their address for each birth/baptism? It would be worth finding all birth/baptisms for all children born to both William and Ann Quelches (there may be spelling variations with the surname) to see if you can make any headway by putting them into family groups. This might also help you to determine if the Ann who died in 1808 may be the 'other' Ann.

It may be that the Ann Quelch buried in 1808 is the 'other' Ann (Long). It is probable that this Ann is the mother of Eliza baptised in 1801 if this Ann and WIlliam married in 1800. If your Ann is still alive and having children beyond 1808, this points toward your Ann being Harris as you suspect.

ReadyDale - is there an age given for the Ann Quelch who was buried in 1808?

Some further research to prove/disprove is required of course.  :)

Online ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 October 12 10:01 BST (UK) »
ReadyDale - is there an age given for the Ann Quelch who was buried in 1808?
No sorry. Very sparse - name, from, date of burial.
Took a quick look for records of the Grays Inn Workhouse and nothing is listed as surviving  :(

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 October 12 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

According to the Bishop's transcripts Ann is Lang not Long.

Sharon.
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England