Author Topic: Bishop Transcripts - Marriages  (Read 3530 times)

Offline Suzie_Australia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bishop Transcripts - Marriages
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 October 12 13:00 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in replying.  All of your hints have been keeping me busy.

The family is as follows:

Father:  William Quelch born 9/4/1778 Iffley, Oxford; died 4/4/1854 St Ebbes, Oxford
Mother:  Ann (Surname ????) born 1782/1785 where ?????; died 1855 Oxford

Note here:  Cannot find them together in the 1841 census.  William Quelch I cannot find in the 1851 census, but can find Ann living with her daughter at St Ebbes, Oxford - says she was born Colney (?) Hertfordshire

Children of William Quelch and Ann ????

William born 1808 Middlesex, London (can't find baptism record)
Ann born 1810 Middlesex, baptism 20 March 1814 St James Westminster
John born 1812 Middlesex, baptism 'as above'
Stephen born 1813 Middlsex, baptism 'as above'
Jane born 1816 died 1817 St Ebbes Oxford
Rachel Jane born 1818 Oxford
George born 1819 born Oxford
Charles born 1821 Oxford
Emma born 1824 Oxford
Thomas born 1826 Oxford (my great-great grandfather)

So, do you think the marriage of William Quelch to Ann Harris 26 May 1805 Soho, Westminster would fit in with these children, or the marriage to Ann Lang 26 February 1800, St Martins-in-the Field, Westminster, fit in?

From the replies, how would I know that Anne Quelch who died in the workhouse 15 Feb 1808 would be Anne Lang?

How do I find the Eliza Quelch born 3 May 1801 belongs to William Quelch and Anne Lang?

Now for the twist in the story.

William Quelch senior born in Oxford, moves to Middlesex, moves back to Oxford.  His occupation was a Cordwainer (shoemaker).

Family "story" has it that a Quelch family member made the wedding shoes for Queen Victoria (1840).  Now, from what I can gather the Quelch family were living in or around Soho in London.  Now the bootmakers to the Royal Family at the time were Grundy & Son (later Lobb & Co).  Grundy & Sun were located in Soho.  Apparently through the V&A Museum and Northamptonshire Records there are no employee records for Grundy & Son.

The problem here is that if William (and Ann) were in Soho in the 1840's I can't seem to locate the family in the 1841 census.  I have found the family, with the exception of William (senior) located at St Ebbes Oxford in the 1851 census but they are not living in the one household.

Sorry for my long winded post, but I have been working through all of your suggestions.

Do you think I can claim Anne Harris as mine?  Her death certificate isn't going to give me a maiden name is it?

Regards to all and thank you for your interest.

Suzanne
Hays/Hayes (County Down); Gentry (Essex); Quelch (Oxford, Middlesex); Majory (County Down); Mungovan (County Clare); Enright (County Clare)

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 October 12 13:34 BST (UK) »
Re: 1841, There is a William Quelch living in Shoreditch, age 60 (these are rounded, so....) who is a Shoemaker. Shown as not born in Middlesex.

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 October 12 13:39 BST (UK) »
Re: 1841, There is a William Quelch living in Shoreditch, age 60 (these are rounded, so....) who is a Shoemaker. Shown as not born in Middlesex.

I think you will find he is a Schoolmaster not a Shoemaker, I though the same thing at first.

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 October 12 13:45 BST (UK) »

I think you will find he is a Schoolmaster not a Shoemaker, I though the same thing at first.

Sharon
Oops! Should have gone to Specsavers  ;)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 October 12 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

London Colney in Hertfordshire did not have its own parish church until the C19th.

http://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/data/places/places-l/london-colney/london-

13th June 1784 Shenley
Ann Harris parents Samuel Harris and Ann

Then there is Colney Heath also without its own parish church until the C19th

http://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/data/places/places-c/colney-heath/colney-heath.htm

10th July 1785 St Stephens St Albans
Ann Harris parents John and Ann

The latter baptism could also cover London Colney.

Not sure Family Search has all the parish registers that could cover London Colney and Colney Heath. The actual baptism entry may or may not be specific enough to give the actual place in the parish the parents lived,

There is also Colney Hatch in the parish of Friern Barnet, but this was the Middlesex section of Barnet which was in Hertfordshire.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Suzie_Australia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 October 12 00:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you to all for your advice.

I will follow up with all of your suggestions and keep on with the hunt.  Will certainly let you know if I make any "discoveries".

Regards,

Hays/Hayes (County Down); Gentry (Essex); Quelch (Oxford, Middlesex); Majory (County Down); Mungovan (County Clare); Enright (County Clare)

Offline Peter_Cda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 August 17 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzie,
I was interested in your post as I am a descendant of George Q b1820 and father William b 1778. My information on this relationship an dates comes from a Q family Bible and wondered if that was also in part your source for his birth date an location?

The information I did not have is the birth of William in Oxford and move to London then back to Oxford. I was working on the assumption the W was born in London and married there, before moving to Oxford. Since I could find no record of him in any of the census records his birth county has been a mystery!

Any help in the area would be appreciated and, please forgive any transgressions as this is my first post!

Regards

Peter

Offline Suzie_Australia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 20 August 17 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

My apologies for the delay in replying.  What a gem holding a Quelch family bible. 

How tricky this Quelch family has been for me.

So is your George Quelch is the brother to my three times great grandfather Thomas Quelch.

Back to William Quelch.  The following information I received many years ago from Betty Daubney (now deceased) who was researching the Quelch family and has published.  The following is an extract from the family history of the Quelch family which she produced.  It's very difficult to read and there don't appear to be any sources adequate enough.

111  3-William QUELCH b9.4.1778 Oxford bur 4.4.1854
m sp-Ann (HARRIS or LANG??) 1785 Oxford-1855 Oxford

Go to the following website link for further information, including your George:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~kitwithers/quelch/quelch.html

I wanted to get some correct answers for you but just revisited my research for the death of William Quelch and found that it can't possibly 1854 as his wife Ann is recorded in the 1851 census as a 'widow' living with her daughter Ann Nash (nee Quelch) and they were living in St Ebbe.

Also, I have just been looking again and I can't find William Quelch in the 1841 or 1851 census.  So, now I'm thinking this Quelch family that all we find on the internet is not quite factual.

Peter, you may have already seen this previous discussion on rootschat, see link below, this may help also:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=619826.0

I think I have a bit of work ahead of me now to sort this family out, but I apologise that I haven't been of any great help at this stage.

You may be correct in the fact that William was born in London.

Will keep you posted on any discoveries.

Regards,
Suzanne

Offline Peter_Cda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzanne,
Tricky is the right word!

Regarding the information on William from Daubney, the copy of the family bible I have has the same birth date - is it possible both are sourced from the same document?

We might have a source difference in the 1851 census regarding Ann Q as my source (Find my Past) shows her as still married, so the elusive William is still around?

I have not been able to do much of a review of the information in the kitwithers link you provided, thank you, but here is the information from the copy of the family bible I have regarding William Q, though the connection to George Q in Oxford is confirmed

Father John b 4 May 1748 died age 81, spouse not named

Children of the above

John    b 27 apr 1774, d 14 Jun 1838, A 64

Elizabeth b 14 may 1776, d 26 Apr 1812, A 36

William b 9 Apr 1778 - father to George Q of Oxford

Mary b 14 Jun 1782, d 5 Aug 1807, A 25

Thomas b 19 Aug 1784 - father of James Q of London

James b 9 Mar 1786 - d London

Stephen b 26 Dec 1786, d 6 Sep 1856, m 18 Jul 1817 and father to Stephen b 1826

In following up on this in Find my Past I cannot find any truly satisfactory connections to the data above and the records available.

The best connections I can make for the births, are to a John and Elizabeth for the cx of John in 1775 in Dartford.

For the others there are some possible connections to births in Berkshire also to a John and Elizabeth, but the years of the cx are quite different and would only be reasonable if the dates of birth in the source bible are inaccurate by a couple of years -- and that may be, but the date of birth of Stephen Q as 1787 ties in with the 1788 date given in the 1851 census.

I was hoping that I could use this information to better understand the location of Williams birth, or of  his siblings but, not based on my research to date!

So, hope this might connect with information you may have, or if you have any thoughts on other sources of information that might help me clarify the situation that would be great!

Regards

Peter