Author Topic: grace brenda bailey australia  (Read 4780 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: grace brenda bailey australia
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 04:35 BST (UK) »
Hi TJC,

A big welcome to Rootschat.

If you were to reply twice more, then you will have access to all the features here, including to the Private Message system. 

It is easy to reply, even if just to say "Hi"

Many Cheers,

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline debbi1965

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 02:50 BST (UK) »
Hi back,Thankyou so much for replying to my query.
Yes we are related,i have been looking for some sign of this family forever.I have searched to no avail for the last 3 years since finding out who my grandmother was.My grandmother is Amanda Morris,sister of Beatrice Bailey.Amanda and Beatrices parents are Hariett and Henry Morris are your gg grandparents and my great grandparents.I have the shipping record for Beatrice and Ernest,their two children Edith and Grace,my grandmother Amanda also with them at age 17,year 1912.There is much more to the story of Amanda who lived with Ernest and Beatrice for a few years in Manly.i was only asking mainly as i dont know what my grandmother looks like and was hoping somebody out there had at least one photo.Amanda only had one child,unmarried and adopted him out at birth.For 33 years she lived only a 20 minute drive from him and he never knew.My father passed away in 1995 sadly.Thankyou very much and i really appreciate you replying to my message,i really do as you have filled many gaps for me.If you ever find a photo of family i would be most appreciative if i could possibly have a copy if possible.If you like i have birthdates for Ernest,Beatrice etc to share
Thankyou sooo much
Debbi
Morris,chad,nelson,craven,roberts..wales,worksop,middlesex.

Offline TJC1972

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 13:33 BST (UK) »
I will send through what I can, when time allows and I'm back in Canberra I'll try and find things out and chase down what I can, although mum's house was recently repossessed by the Govt as part of the asbestosis issue with anything stored in the under house cavity to be destroyed.

I mentioned that mum was sick as I have friend who is adopted with no knowledge of familial health issues to watch out for, everything you've found lines up with my knowledge, I will share that my mother has it would appear at 68 yo early stage Alzheimers or one of the types of dementia, which is something my grandmother Grace suffered from and eventually died from as well.  Grace also had breast cancer and a heart attack, she died when I was 8 yo so not much more detail there sorry.  Although mum and I both have high cholesterol levels and I've had a minor incident on the heart front too (blockage cleared and stent inserted).

I have a pretty good memory of what mum has mentioned through out her research and then as part of general conversation so I have bashed out as much of it as I can below, I hope it fills in some more blanks for you, sorry but I will interchange Beatrice and Kelly regularly I'm sorry, but its the same person.

The reason for emigrating was the fact Beatrice (Kelly) was unable to survive the English winters she lost a couple of sets of twins, one set before she left England and the second set in Australia before her third surviving child, Colin was born, hence he was 10 years younger than Brenda.  Colin passed away in 1998, he had two children from his first marriage one of whom has also passed away, the other I believe is late 60's and worked in the ACT region.

Apparently your grand mother Amanda came out to assist her sister, Beatrice with the raising of the children due to Kelly's ill health, there were apparently 7 kids in that generation, 2 boys lost in WW1 and 5 girls.  Beatrice's immediately older sister was Aunty Gertie, so I assume Gertrude.

Mum does refer to her pop, Ernest, as being known as 'Dick', he was the carpenter who built the original stair case and display woodwork in the original Manly Hotel, Pub that sat opposite the ferry terminal.

The Morris side of the family if you go back far enough apparently links back to Lord Nuffield from northern UK around Sheffield with links to Yorkshire.  Trivia I know but mum mentioned it regularly, they came down to London when they steamed out to Australia on the train the Flying Scotsman.

I will try to remember more and given mums condition she may remember more as time passes.

Offline debbi1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 July 15 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi again,sorry for the delay in reply as ive been away.Thankyou,as you have definately filled quite a few gaps.My sister and I were curious as to why Beatrice,Ernest,Amanda and the children immigrated as their father was still alive until 1932,their mother passing in 1909..Beatrice and Amandas mother was Harriet Sylvester,she came from a huge family and in one of the cemetaries around Tinsley/Sheffield they hold amongst the oldest graves.You have got my curiosity up on one of the brothers dying WW1 as i hope im right in having found his grave,passing in 1930.The following children were Gertrude,Marian,Beatrice,Henry,thomas,Betsy and the youngest Amanda.They are a hard family to follow in Sheffield England as their father was Henry Morris born 1854,and there were a few in the area.I am going to order his birth certificate as this family has me mystified.I have also all of the electoral rolls for Beatrices family in Australia trying to track their lives down a bit.Im very wow on Ernest doing the building he did,because as a child my father took me to Manly a fair bit and we used to walk straight past the pub.We were so close but never knew that we were actually in the suburb his mother lived for many years.I was born in Willoughby,and the police sergeant who adopted my father was stationed at Balgowlah on the same main road into Manly.Very close indeed only by i think a few klms.I am so sorry your mum is suffering,and i honestly cant tell you if it runs down our line.Dad passed away from a stroke at age 62,but also had Waldenstrohm disease which is mainly unknown form of cancer.He had 4 children,us 3 girls and a boy.Its good to find out what health issues there are in the family very much so.I would just like to add that my dad was tall being 6ft 2" with blonde hair and blue eyes,the color is strong in all his children and i have carried my dads height being 5"11.
Thankyou so very much for taking the time to write me,i am 10 steps closer to finding out about us and have a lot more information.Seems though the family is very small in Australia being only your family,Colins and my brother and sisters
Cheers and such a pleasure to hear from you
Debbi...:)
Morris,chad,nelson,craven,roberts..wales,worksop,middlesex.