Author Topic: Melville Street Edinbrough c1839  (Read 5051 times)

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Melville Street Edinbrough c1839
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 November 12 16:53 GMT (UK) »
From the web site of the Church of Scotland, it appears Gilbert Robertson was a Minister. Might it be possible to determine whether he had a charge at the time of his death? This might help to clarify which of the Melville Streets was the place of death. The parish church in Portobello was located on Melville Street.

Referring to the previous post, Gilbert Robertson did have a sister by the name of Elizabeth. She married a Samuel Sandbach.

Ian
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 November 12 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian,
Now you have me puzzled, I know the Robertson family contributed many members to the Church of Scotland over several generations.   This Gilbert's paternal line his own father, grandfather and cousins were Reverends as were his maternal grandparents etc.   I would be very interested in following this thread further, are you able to provide a web address for me to view?
This is an avenue I have no knowledge off.   I am aware of the connection with the Sandbach and Parker families and a few others as well.  There is a good collection at the Liverpool Archives aptly named 'the Parker papers'.   This Gilbert Robertson  (b1774 - d1839)being a minister is new information.
Aby
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 November 12 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,
again new information.  I have no idea if there is a connection.   Most of my research for Robertson's has been in Scotland, the West Indies, (Jamaica, British and Dutch Guiana and Demeria).   From what I have managed to figure out is that in the mid 1700's at least 2 of Reverend Harry Robertson's brothers, (John and George) were merchants/plantation owners in Essequibo and Demerrie and later in Berbice.   They in turn set up business with the Sandbach, Tinnie and later Parker's which was a very successful company for several generations.
I know they had their own ships so it is possible they also had dealings with India as from memory I think there was a few career soldiers in the family as well.
All I can suggest is gather up every bit of information you can re Eliza Robinson (parents, place of birth, baptism of her daughters not easy for India I know but is possible if their father was military)  Do you have death records for any of the 3?  Later census that may be of help?
Feel free to contact me again.   Elizabeth is a common name for the time.
Aby
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
  Abygail

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 November 12 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aby,
http://histfam.familysearch.org/getperson.php?personID=I84821&tree=Fasti

I hope I have copied and pasted this address correctly. If not, try Googling under "Gilbert Robertson, Edinburgh" and this Family Search data base should be one of the hits. It gives you Groups; parents; siblings, etc.  Plus you can search other persons that become highlighted. It is not the Church of Scotland site, as I first thought, but the church's records seem to be the source of much of the information.

I hope this helps.

Ian
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 November 12 14:17 GMT (UK) »
A further thought: Gilbert Robertson may not have been a Minister. He might be in this data base as part of the family of a Minister. Perhaps the best way to "get the picture" would be to click on Rev. Harry Robertson on Gilbert's page and that will show Harry's family, including several children.

Ian

Offline Unė kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 November 12 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Interesting reading for others at
http://www.spanglefish.com/slavesandhighlanders/index.asp?pageid=192866

and the details on the monument in St.Cuthberts:

834. Upright Monument on Wall divided into three Panels.

Centre (Stone) Panel.

Georgina Omond, born 15th September 1850, died 3rd May 1852;
Emily Traill Omond, born 9th July 1841, died 9th December 1854;
Robert Omond, M.D., F.R.C.S.E., born in Kirkwall 29th December 1806,
died in Edinburgh 13th December 1881; his wife, Mary Eliza Traill,
born in Liverpool 6th June 1817, died in Edinburgh 1st February 1898 ;
their son, Robert Traill Omond, LL.D., F.R.S.E., born 5th June 1858,
died 27th January 19 14; Helen Connley, died 17th January 1879, aged 63.

On Base.

William Robertson Watson, grandson of H. Robertson, D.D.,
Kiltearn, born at Grantit, Orkney, 15th May 1807, died in Edinburgh
20th March 1876.

Left (Red Granite) Panel.

In memory of Jane Mackenlay, born in London 20th January 1775,
died 20th July 1857, widow of George Omond, who died at Kirkwall 1st
February 1813.

On Base.

Gilbert Robertson, second son of H. Robertson, D.D., Kiltearn,
died 10th September 1839, aged 64.

Right (Red Granite) Panel.

M. S. Vxoris Dilectissimae, Matris Optimae, Christianae Traill,
moerens posvit conivx vixit annos LXI. obiit Maii VII. M.D.C.C.C.
XLII.

Conivx ipsi, Thomas Stewart Traill, M.D., F.R.S.E., Med. Lee. in
Acad. Ed. Jac. VI. Prof. Vixit annos LXXX. obiit Julii xxx., M.D.C.C.C.
LXII.

On Base.

Thomas S. Traill, elder son of Professor Traill, died 31st August
1856, aged 37.

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for the input.  The water had been muddied but has settled back out again.   Nothing new to add to what I already knew, it is good to have a subject looked at by fresh eyes as we can miss important facts.  Which is why I like to revisit subjects, Gilbert Robertson 1774-1839 appears to have been unmarried and the son of Reverend Harry Robertson (as per the tree in Family search) I agree with this as I have been through books re Scottish ministers, Burke's Peerage for 1700-1800 and have confirmed this data.
There is mention in a listing of BMD for Scots in Latin America that suggests Gilbert married an Eliza Thomas c1814.   I haven't found anything much about her.   It appears this marriage wasn't recognised outside the Carribean or she had pre-deceased him.
I seem to have located where Gilbert Robertson was residing at the time of his death and will now try to find what I can out about A B Tod esqr WS and his daughter.   This may share something additional onto the end of Gilbert's story.
Aby
  Abygail

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 January 13 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aby,

I saw this post late, the fact that he is buried in St. Cuthberts would I think mean he was from the Melville Street in Edinburgh and not the one on Portobello.

Regards.

Archie.

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 13 January 13 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Archie,
Thank you for your input, it all helps.   I was leaning toward him residing in Melville, Edinburgh as opposed to Portobello as it is closer to St Cuthberts.   As well as the folk living in Melville St seemed to be more of the class Gilbert was.  (that sounds really snooty, but I hope you understand what I'm trying to say).   Must get back to research the family he was staying with at the time of his death.
Aby
  Abygail