Author Topic: Another McGreal in Westport post  (Read 20025 times)

Offline caph1952

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Another McGreal in Westport post
« Reply #36 on: Monday 12 November 12 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting, Pat! Thank you!

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 02:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy,

Whilst continuing my little exercise on FaG , I turned up some old info which may be worth a look on some more McGrails which haven't been mentioned connected to Minonk

I have a Harry living with his sister Frances and her family of O'Rourke on the 1910 census for Minonk. I wasn't able to establish the exact parentage but the father was born in New York and the mother was a Leonard born in Illinois.

An obituary for Frances gives a little more information at

http://history.wilmettelibrary.info/results?q=MCGRAIL&st=kw

Frances was born July 3 1879 and I feel the others followed after this.What happened to the parents during the dark ages of no 1890 census  and who they were may be a problem but may be shown on a death cert for any of the children.

They appear to be connected to the Chicago area later in life as Frances is buried in St Boniface Cemetery,Chicago.

Pat.

Offline caph1952

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 03:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat,

Actually, I can tell you who her parents were. Her father was John E. McGrail, the son of Michael (who I believe to have been my John's brother). Her mother was Ellen Ryan. I believe that Fannie and my grandmother were second cousins. And her sister, Grace,  married my grandmother's uncle, John Doyle (on her mother's side, of course!). So I have double connections to that family.

But thank you! I appreciate your diligence!

I did get a brief obit for Ann McGrail Hester. Unfortunately, it neither confirmed nor negated my suspicions that she was the sister of Bridget McGrail Shea who lived next door to her in Minonk. However, it mentioned that she was survived by a brother in Gibson City, Mr. McGrail! Who would they have found to give info for the obit who would know she had a brother but not know his first name?! :-) I'm thinking he could possibly be the Jerry McGrail who shows up with Nora and her brothers in the 1910 census.  He would've been quite a bit younger than Ann though.

First chance I have, I intend to find her obit in the Minonk paper which I believe will be a much more detailed obit. The one I have is from another town in the county.

I also have a story on the death of Bridget's son, Michael Shea. Unfortunately, it gives no information about his parents.

Thanks again, Pat!

Cathy

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 03:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy,

Check Francis for Fannie and only other detail I had was Henry c1883 when infact he was born 1886.

Offline caph1952

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Not sure I'm following you on that last one, Pat. Fannie and Frances are the same person. I see that her California Death record lists her mother's maiden name as Leonard. I suspect that the daughter with whom she was staying when she died got confused. Their grandmother O'Rourke (Fannie's mother-in-law)  was a Leonard. Their mother's maiden name was definitely Ryan. I have her marriage certificate and her obituary. I suspect that the reason Harry was living with Fannie and her husband in 1910 is that their parents were both dead by then. Ellen died in 1903, John E. in 1907.  As I think I mentioned to you in one of the early messages, a younger daughter, Margaret, seems to have gone to live with Charles and family in Dixon.

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 05:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy,

I had constructed a tree based around the library obit and supporting info which threw up too many conflicts so treated them as separate families.  The leonard as opposed to the Ryan maiden name and the Henry dates were sufficient to throw me off track.It follows that all but the four mentioned were the only children living by 1958.

I suppose the hunt goes on.

Pat

Offline caph1952

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 06:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat,

I've realized I wasn't very clear in my last message. I meant to say that Fannie's mother's maiden name was definitely Ryan. But you seem to have figured out what I meant! :-)

Yes, indeed, the hunt does go on! Probably perpetually! :-)

Cathy