Author Topic: New Monkland  (Read 12286 times)

Offline jasdell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New Monkland
« on: Monday 05 November 12 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm trying to find some info on my Great Great Great Grandmother REBECCA STEVENSON who appears to be a very elusive woman.
She had an illegitimate son with George Waddell, the son was also called George Waddell born on 10Oct 1831. There is no record, that I can find, of any marriage.
In Jun 1833 She married a John Collins. In the 1871 census she is shown as living with her son George recorded as his mother.
I can find nothing about her death apart from the the fact that she was alive in 1871 and she is shown as deceased on her son's death certificate in 1883. She is recorded on that certificate as Barbara Stevenson. Although the person that recorded the death is registered as an aquaintance so that info, regarding her christian name, may not be accurate.
I wonder if anyone out there has her on their tree with hopefully a bit more details on her life.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: New Monkland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 November 12 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi jasdell

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

There is a likely death showing for mother Rebecca on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk:

Rebecca Stevenson/Collins, 60, died in New Monkland Landward in 1872, ref. 651/02 0080

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 November 12 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Regarding George's christening entry https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTGM-F1M - have you viewed the image of the entry on the parish register on Scotlands People? You often get clues from how the entry is written up:

Lawful son/daughter- parents were married  :)
Natural son/daughter - parents were not  ::)

...or words to that effect!

Monica

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 November 12 21:05 GMT (UK) »
I've come across this family before.

In 1841 John Colins, 33, Rebeca Colins, 36, George Waddle, 9, Christian Ross, 13 and Barbara Colins, 1, all born in Lanarkshire, are listed at Riggend Village, New Monkland. In 1851 George, 19, is a lodger in Glasgow. He married Mary Boyd in 1852, and had four children. Mary died and in 1878 he married Marion Kinloch.

I'd be very interested in the identity of George's father. He was, apparently, a farmer and was deceased by 1878.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 08:49 GMT (UK) »
There is one main farmer, George Waddell, that I can see in the early censuses, looks to have died c. 1869 going by the will & testament entries for him on SP. He farmed at Gane/Gain in New Monkland. He shows in 1841 with children, not sure if widowed but possibly (youngest also a George aged 5). The same for 1851 where he also shows as born c. 1802 in Bathgate. Remarried a Margaret Gillespie in 1852 in New Monkland and had 5 more children it seems.

Just info without direct connections to George Waddell Jnr, son of Rebecca, unfortunately.

Sometimes when someone says their father was a farmer, it can be slightly different: ploughman, farm lab, cottar etc. The George Waddell Snr above does seem to be the main farmer showing in New Monkland at that time.

One of his sons:
John Waddell of Inch the celebrated engineer whose achievements included Putney Bridge, The Mersey Tunnel and railways all over Britain was the son of George Waddell of Gain Farm, New Monkland.[33] He founded a dynasty of engineers who continued and extended his work for several generations.
www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/waddell/disc

Monica

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I speculated that the errant father might be George Waddell of Gain. He certainly fits the bill.

He was born in Bathgate in 1801, and married Elizabeth Shanks in New Monkland in 1826. There had been Shanks in Gain for some time before George arrived. George and Elizabeth were definitely in New Monkland at the relevant time, because two of their children were baptised there in 1830 and 1832. Elizabeth Shanks died before 1841, and George married Margaret Gillespie in 1852. He died at Gain on 31 August 1868. He was certainly the only George Waddell who was farming in New Monkland at the time.

However there were others not far away. For instance there was George Waddell of Binniehill in Slamannan, who was born in 1803 and married Marion Morrison in 1834. Unlike GW of Gain, he was unmarried at the relevant time.

There was also George Waddell, born 1813 at Rochcraig, son of Robert W of Stanrigg. He would have been only just about old enough to be the father of Rebecca Stevenson's son. (Stanrigg was probably the biggest Waddell farm in New Monkland at the time.)

Also in Slamannan was George Waddell of Ballochnie and Balquhatston. He might be thought a bit old, because he was born in 1787/8, but he didn't marry until 1844. He probably isn't the one, however, because although he did own and farm Balquhatston, his primary occupation was Writer to the Signet.

There were also George Waddells in Shotts and in Old Monkland, though none of them is an obvious candidate, and any number of others from a little further away.

BTW we are almost certain that the large and prosperous Waddell family of Gain was a branch of the Waddells of Leadloch and Holehouseburn, who can be traced back to Adam Waddell, who bought Holehouseburn in 1609. We just can't quite make the connection!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jasdell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Monical,
Thank you very much for your interest and information. Don't know why this did not come up before when I was searching but the ref. you gave me was spot on. This is the Rebecca I'm looking for. The house address is the same as the 1871 census and she was married to John Collins, although it doesn't help me with her parents as their is no informtion on them on the certificate, father is just down as Stevenson so she is still being elusive.
I have always been aware of the Waddell's of Gane farm but I don't appear to have any connection to them as far as I know George Waddell (Snr)'s parents were John Waddell and Janet Blair but I don't have any documentary proof of this, Still looking.
Thank you once again for your prompt and wonderful help.
Jim

Offline jasdell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian,
Thank you for your interest with my problem. I am aware of most of the Waddell's around the Airdrie area but the problem is making the connections.
The info I have on my tree is :-

George Waddell 1831-1883 - Mary Boyd 1821-1879 (Marriage Cert and George's birth registration)
George Waddell 1805-1845 - Rebecca Stevenson 1811-1872 ( I have George's mort cloth payment and now Rebecca's death cert.)
John Waddell / Janet Blair (No documentary evidence apart from info from 'Family Search Site')
Thank you again for your interest and I'll take on board the info you have supplied and see if there is anything new that I haven't seen before.
Jim

Offline mummyhornsby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 January 14 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Coming late to this posting but George Waddell of Gain Farm was not the son of John Waddell and Janet Blair.