Author Topic: Dalgarno of Aberdeen  (Read 21198 times)

Offline francestogneri

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Ruddimanand Jean Dalgarno
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica
I found the information on Elizabeth but not the info for Thomas.  Thanks.

I am preparing a list of the questions I can't answer and planning a trip to Edinburgh in early December.  I will add viewing the original census material to my list. I think I will need to take a sleeping bag!!!

Not come across freecen before.  Interesting that a neighbour of the Ruddiman family is Kitson, a name appearing as a middle name in the Ruddiman/McGregor family!

It has been really great having so much assistance and interest in my family search.  Much appreciated.  Yes - twins run the the family.  My grandmother was a twin but her brother died young.  Not got round to tracing his death yet.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Lucky you to be going into Edinburgh...with your sleeping bag  ;D Get organised and have lots of blank forms to be able to fill in.

I would also take a written up tree/forms of what you have seen in the Mennie/Wood trees for the Ruddiman side of the family...as I  have said  ::) I do think this is where you are pointing now with the Ruddiman side.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 19:17 GMT (UK) »

Jean Dalgarno, sometimes shown as Jane:
b.    31 May 1799 (I don't have the media for that)
m.   as above, d 7 Sep 1865.
d.   17 Dec 1865

Sorry to be a pest,but you said her date of death was 7 Sep 1865 (which is why I queried 17 Dec 1865)!
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline francestogneri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Fist - Sorry - don't know why I have put that date in again.  I checked my posting and had both!  The correct year is as for William on my previous post  - 1828.

Monica - yes, I already have some prints from the part of the tree giving me such problems - also a list of checks.  It's getting even longer!  By the way, I noticed the problem death certificate is available on the Mennie tree.  Despite the obvious name issue they have ignored that the father is given as Joseph.  I wonder why?

The mother of William according to the document, Elspet Freeman (baptism 22 June 1783), is about a generation apart from Esther Freeman who was probably born abt 1754.  I need to find the original marriage entries.

Frances

Offline francestogneri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found the Baptism record for 28 February 1801 showing John Ruddiman as the father of William Ruddiman.

This shows that the father given by the son-in-law on William's death certtificate is incorrect.  It also throws doubt on the mother's name.

Thank you both for having the patience to work through this confusing information with me.  I can now be confident that I am going forward with true data.

Frances

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 16:58 GMT (UK) »
That is great Frances  ;D Knew you would get there!

You now have record of a William Freeman Ruddiman born to a John Ruddiman, a wright by occupation, and mother Esther Freeman.

You also have mention of a William Freeman Ruddiman being admitted to the Trades Burgess Register in 1823, father John (also elder brother John) also a wright.

His marriage to Jane, showing him as William Freeman Ruddiman, as does his 1860 death cert (boo to son in law for registering wrong names for parents, but happens...).

I think the outstanding piece for William is where was he in 1851?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline francestogneri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 17:34 GMT (UK) »
True!  Odd that he has not turned up on any census check.  I think he was in the pub!

Frances

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 21:10 GMT (UK) »
I knew there was a problem with the information.  I have just checked William's death cert again and William Ruddiman's father is definitely JOSEPH Ruddiman and not JOHN Ruddiman.  shame - it was all coming together there!
Just a thought... I saw the death certificate on ancestry and at the bottom righthand side there's a note referring to a correction (volume 1,page8, Feb 3 1860). Have you viewed the register of corrected entries?
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline francestogneri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 22 November 12 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Fist
No - I was short of credits at that point.  My previous experience was that these usually give an update to the medical condition.  William died from a (supposed) Heart Condition so I assumed the corrected entry would confirm this.  I will add this to my list of things to check!

Frances