Author Topic: William Armstrong/Helen Riddell  (Read 2706 times)

Offline ewanarm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researching family history for 15 years
    • View Profile
William Armstrong/Helen Riddell
« on: Thursday 22 November 12 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Am new to this forum and thought I would post about my brickwall.

My gg grandfather William Armstrong was born in Roxburghshire iin August 1835, the son of William Armstrong (b around 1814) and Susan Tait. I have never been able to find a marriage for William and Susan and in 1841 they were living in Yetholm. In 1851 they were living in Berwickshire and the census states that William was born in Kelso and Susan was born in Linton. By 1861 the family had moved to England.

I think that William may be the son of William Armstrong and Helen Riddell (Riddle), married in Kelso in 1812. William was born in July 1813 which would fit with the ages quoted on the census. I have no idea as to Susan's parents. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Many thanks

Ewan

Researching Armstrongs and Taits in Roxburghshire
Armstrong, Lockhart, Lakeman, Cunningham, Jeffrey, Anderson, Ramsey, Vyse, Naylor

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Armstrong/Helen Riddell
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 December 12 20:11 GMT (UK) »
could this be susan?

21/10/1804   Tait, Susanna   d/o William Tait/ Margaret Hilson
Melrose /Roxburgh

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 December 12 20:23 GMT (UK) »
had to google linton to find it..

http://www.morebattle.bordernet.co.uk/history/linton.html

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 December 12 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Ewan,

Did Susanna have any gypsy connections?  Tait can often be a gypsy name and with her living close to Yetholm?
I see all the children's births are  noted in the Edrom records but they don't seem to have been baptised anywhere.  If they used the naming patterns even loosely then her father may have been James Tait.  It might be worth looking for one in the census to see if there is a Linton/Morebattle/Yetholm connection anywhere.

Barbara