Author Topic: Cooke/Sturgeon marriage in Vancouver?  (Read 8388 times)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Cooke/Sturgeon marriage in Vancouver?
« on: Thursday 29 November 12 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm looking for a Mr. Cooke marrying a Miss Agnes Sturgeon, possibly in Vancouver.  I'm guessing the marriage took place 1930s-1940s.

Mrs Agnes Cooke appears as daughter on the death certificate (1955) of Florence Beatrice Sturgeon; with an address in South Burnaby, BC.

Thanks,

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Cooke/Sturgeon marriage
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 November 12 10:13 GMT (UK) »
HI Nanny Jan,

The strict privacy laws in Canada might prevent you finding the marriage of Agnes Sturgeon to Mr Cooke.
Maybe the Canadian Voters Lists for 1953 helps you with a name for Mr Cooke - Burnaby-Richmond - Barker Avenue. Lists 3519 - Arthur P Cooke, paper-mill foreman and 3519 Mrs Agnes P Cooke. 3519 Mrs Florence B Sturgeon, housewife.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 November 12 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Canadian Voters List for 1962 - Burnaby Richmond only shows Mrs Agnes P Cooke. Barker Avenue. Clerk.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 November 12 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

Thanks; that looks like the right couple.   

The latest Lost Cousins newsletter gives a link to some British Columbia BMDs available on line and there is one that could be this couple .....but that image is not available.   :(

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 November 12 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Nanny jan,

Is this the website you were referring to?

http://search.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/sn-AD3F11/query/Marriages,Deaths/find-adv%2B%20givennames%3D(arthur)%20AND%20surname%3D(cooke)%20%2B%2B%2B%2B

This record is now in the public domain so the image will be available in a library or similar in BC. If you go back to your first post and modify the original title to include Vancouver, a kind  :)  Vancouver-located RootsChatter will in all probabilty see it and offer to look it up for you.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 November 12 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Yes I think that might be the couple but need to check the name of the bride's father (and mother if it is shown).

Will amend title.

Nanny Jan

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cooke/Sturgeon marriage in Vancouver?
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 November 12 21:04 GMT (UK) »
With those particular names, especially for Agnes, I suspect they are probably the correct couple. Hope someone comes along before too long ... Depends on when someone pops in to RC and takes a look around  :).

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 November 12 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nanny Jan

I can look up the marriage registration and give you a transcription of the document but I won't be able to get to my family history library until next week.  If someone can do it sooner, go for it; but otherwise, I will do the look up next week.

Susan

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 November 12 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan,

Thanks, that would be very useful.  This branch has taken a lot of time to track so I can wait.   :)

Nanny Jan