Author Topic: Rhosllanerchrugog Chapel  (Read 8599 times)

Offline Stormybay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rhosllanerchrugog Chapel
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 December 12 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello again William,
The tree which you mention on Ancestry is probably mine - or, at least the information is what I put there as I was trying to find out where she went.  It was only a guess as I have no documentation to support it.  I did that a few years ago hoping that it would lead to something further, but it has not.  it is just that there was a Margaret Roberts who died in Oswestry in 1890....  I made my tree private after a couple of poachers latched onto it and copied everything I had, so that information may also be on one of those trees.  Currently I have removed that information from my tree as it has not been verified. 

I have found no further marriages for Margaret Postles or Possels, no deaths, etc.  The name Roberts is too common to be able to be sure of anything unless I order the certificates and that may be what I have to do next despite the guesswork and expense.  I have also had little luck finding out if Alice Roberts, born 1868, and living with Martha and her sons in Acrefair was Margaret's second daughter.  It seems that she may have died in 1881, but by that time John Roberts had remarried and was starting a second family.  I spent some time at the Clwyd FHS trying to sort that out and it came to nothing.  There are at least four Alice Roberts born in 1868 - so, perhaps I will work on narrowing that down to see if I can find the right one. 

...but, the Chapel in Rhosllanerchrugog has been demolished, correct?

S
Monmothshire:  HOUSE, THOMAS, EDWARDS
Somerset:  HOUSE
Norfolk:  SIMPSON, THOMPSON, GRAPES, SPOONER, LOWNE, HOOKS, FOX
Suffolk:  CADE
Essex:  UNDERWOOD, CADE, DARBY
London & Middlesex:  THOMPSON, COCKRAM, CADE, BUTT, BANNER, MIDDLETON, NORRIS, DUNN
Wiltshire:  BUTT, HOUSE, GILES
Leicestershire:   GREENWAY
Denbeighshire & Shropshire:  EDWARDS, POSTLE, ROBERTS, HUMPHREYS, MORRIS
Lancashire:  BANNER, COZENS

Offline Stormybay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 December 12 15:14 GMT (UK) »
...did not deal with your question about Emma, granddaughter 1871.  They called her ENNIE - but her full name was Eunice.  That is my gt grandmother, Eunice, on the 1871 census; she was four years old.  It is written on the census as Emma - I think the person who made the entry on the census may have made an error as there is another little girl down the street called Emma as well. 
S
London & Middlesex:  THOMPSON, COCKRAM, CADE, BUTT, BANNER, MIDDLETON, NORRIS, DUNN

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 December 12 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Were Eunice and Alice daughters of John Roberts?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stormybay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 December 12 15:57 GMT (UK) »
I do have Eunice's birth certificate and she is identified as Eunice Roberts, daughter of John Roberts and Margaret, formerly Postle.  She was born in April 1867. 
I have only heard about Alice from the Utah descendents of John Roberts who say that she was his daughter and that she was living with him in 1871 but I have no proof of that - no birth certificate and the census shows her as a grand-daughter of Martha Griffeths Roberts but there were other brothers living there who could also have been her father.  There wasn't a whisper about her or the Roberts family in our family.  Eunice's daughters knew nothing of her Roberts family history.  She called herself Eunice Postles, daughter of James Richard and Mary Postles who were her grandparents. 
S

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 December 12 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Just to have the full background to the family then,John Roberts was the son of Martha of Corwen?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline grahamlloyd59

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi There
St. John's Parish Church on Church Street, Rhossllanerchrugog is still standing. Due to dwindling congregations and the need to find £300,000 for repairs to the fabric of the church St. John’s, which was the parish church, had to close in 2003.

You can find pictures and more info on my own website. http://www.graham-lloyd.com/rhos/st_johns_parish_church_rhos
Hope this is of help.
Graham
www.graham-lloyd.com

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 19 January 13 14:07 GMT (UK) »
In 1892 a James R Postle was named as the leader of the Ruabon Primitive Methodist Choir,
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Stormybay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 March 13 16:04 GMT (UK) »
It has been a while since I have checked this site as I have been travelling and buried in other things.  However, a sincere thank you to those who have persisted. 

First of all, yes, John Roberts was the son of Martha born in Corwen.  I believe her name was Griffeths. 

Thank you so much for the photos of St John's Church in Rhos.  I could not see a building through those gates, but definitely saw that the churchyard is still there.  I am happy to see the photos.

And, finally, I do believe that the James Richard Postles who led the Methodist Choir was a grandson (b. 1861) of James Richard Postles, 1810, who was my 3x gt grandfather. 

So, thank you for all of those responses.  I am still in search of Alice - her birth and death.  It seems her life was a very sad one.

Offline wonkywitch

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 15 January 15 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Did you say you were looking for a Mary Richards... bit of a long shot, but i have just moved into a very old house in Rhos ans found lots of papers regarding the house. it used to belong to a Mary Richards and was bought by her son John in 1983. Could she be yours?