Author Topic: Bridget and Thomas Levy/Lever  (Read 18359 times)

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget and Thomas Levy/Lever
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 06 July 13 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
Is this Thomas Leaver / Lever ? 

Canada , British Regimental Registers of Service (1812 ? to 1845) 
Thos Leaver
age - 13
height - 5ft 11
complexion - fresh
eyes - gray
hair - fair (or possibly flax/flaxen ?)
visage - round

Where born
County - Lancaster (Lancashire)
Parish - Bolton
Trade - weaver

Attestation -
Salford (Lancashire)
11 June 11 (so b abt 1798 ?)
period (of enlisted for) - US (unlimited)
by whom enlisted - Capt Fielder/ Linder  ? (hard to read)

in another record , gives for visage - "cuts in the forehead"

Offline sandav

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 07 July 13 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, Thank you all so much for the added information. Will be checking every detail. Sandav

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 07 July 13 03:48 BST (UK) »
Not sure whether people on this thread have seen this newspaper advertisement placed by JOHN HURLEY

WHEREAS my Wife, ANN HURLEY, left her home and family, early in October last, without any just cause or provocation, this is to caution the public against giving her any credit on my account, and any person found harbouring her after this date will be prosecuted as the law directs; this is particularly addressed to THOMAS KELLY, of Cowra Creek, Maneroo.
JOHN, HURLEY. Bredbow, Dec. 2, 1851, Goulburn………

This may be his death

V1853206 119 In 1853 HURLEY John,    Aged 50

The marriage to Thomas KELLY soon after

V1854422 41B/In 1854 KELLY, Thomas
To HURLEY Anne
NB

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 07 July 13 04:07 BST (UK) »
Along the same lines as the item above, one placed by JAMES BROGAN after the “departure” of his wife WINIFRED

Wed 18th March 1874. Cooma Bombala Advertiser.

"I HEREBY CAUTION all persons against harbouring my wife, WINIFRED BROGAN, maiden name Winifred Flanagan, she having left her home without provocation or just cause. Any person harbouring or employing her in any way or form whatever after this date will be prosecuted. I also CAUTION' all storekeepers, business men generally, and others against giving the said Winifred Brogan credit, or negotiating with her, or anyone else on her account the purchase, transfer or ….?....?....? and Crops. I shall not hold myself responsible for any debts incurred by her, and I shall hold all persons …?...?  business with her, or any person for her, responsible for the Land, Stock, and Crops referred to.
 JAMES BROGAN. March 7th, 1874."

Sue

Offline sandav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 08 July 13 02:25 BST (UK) »
No I hadn't seen this at all. How brilliant. What a life they must have led. Thanks Sandav

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 08 July 13 03:02 BST (UK) »
I think it is interesting the notice placed by JAMES BROGAN was in 1874

But the first child registered in her own maiden name FLANAGAN (that is to say she does not attribute the child to her husband) was in 1871.

I do not see any children in the BROGAN/FLANAGAN union

So, it seems JAMES had waited 3 years before noting her absence.

;D

Sue 

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 08 July 13 08:09 BST (UK) »
The Monaro Pioneers site has good biographical information re John HURLEY, giving details of his conviction, marriage to Anne, children with Anne, residences, occupations and death - apparently he died from a broken leg after racing his horse on Boxing Day and crashing into a stump of a tree with his son (John) and was buried close to the cricket field (Bell's Creek) and there was no ceremony. He was Drunk at the time. (This would be the death Sue found)
http://www.monaropioneers.com/TNG/getperson.php?personID=I37270&tree=MP#sthash.kMoEbIvr.dpuf

Monaro Pioneers is a reputable site which usually has good references for information posted on the site, but, as always, the information may need to be reviewed carefully. You need to register (free) to be able to view all of their info. Click on the link for Anne LEVY and there is some good info there about her life also, with dates/places of her marriages and births of her children.

As already noted Anne LINFORD is buried at Braidwood, as is her 3rd husband William LINFORD.  Apparently there is a headstone.  This site has further details:
http://www.australiancemeteries.com/nsw/palerang/braidwood_ldata.htm

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KerryKat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 21 May 14 07:48 BST (UK) »
Greetings to all who are researching Bridget & Thomas Leaver - have I got news for you! After much research I discovered Bridget's maiden name, where & when she married Thomas. He was 17, she 15. Thomas enlisted when he was 13 & was a trumpheter in the 48th Regiment of Foot &, as many of you know, he came to Australia on Board "Matilda" to assist Gov. Lachaln Macquarie with law & order in the colony. He  left Australia in 1824 (I know some  sites have him staying in Australia) after the  regiment has served their 7 years here bound for India. He was discharged whilst in India as he had developed opthalmia (problems with both eyes) & returned to Bolton, Lancashire, England. I haven't established yet whether he married again or stayed "single"- he was, after all, a widower, but probably wasn't aware of that.The story of their life together, then with Ann makes for interesting reading & I am only too happy to share what I have. Bridget's life in Sydney became rougher than rough, she abandoned her child to the orphanage, became a prostitute, and died in 1826 of "who knows what". She was originally buried in Sydney where Central Station now stands, however many years ago her remains were moved & interred in Botany Cemetery near Sydney, NSW. Regards to all, Kerry
Patrick O'Connor - Co. Galway, Ireland
Wark(e) - Tartnakelly, Limavady, Derry, N/Ireland
Heggarty - Bovally, Co.Derry, N/Ireland
Hurley- Horningsham, England
Levy/Leaver/Lever - Bolton, England
McCarthy - Balinasloe, Co. Galway, Ireland

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 21:42 BST (UK) »
Greetings to all who are researching Bridget & Thomas Leaver - have I got news for you! After much research I discovered Bridget's maiden name, where & when she married Thomas. He was 17, she 15. Thomas enlisted when he was 13 & was a trumpheter in the 48th Regiment of Foot &, as many of you know, he came to Australia on Board "Matilda" to assist Gov. Lachaln Macquarie with law & order in the colony. He  left Australia in 1824 (I know some  sites have him staying in Australia) after the  regiment has served their 7 years here bound for India. He was discharged whilst in India as he had developed opthalmia (problems with both eyes) & returned to Bolton, Lancashire, England. I haven't established yet whether he married again or stayed "single"- he was, after all, a widower, but probably wasn't aware of that.The story of their life together, then with Ann makes for interesting reading & I am only too happy to share what I have. Bridget's life in Sydney became rougher than rough, she abandoned her child to the orphanage, became a prostitute, and died in 1826 of "who knows what". She was originally buried in Sydney where Central Station now stands, however many years ago her remains were moved & interred in Botany Cemetery near Sydney, NSW. Regards to all, Kerry

Hi KerryKat

Could you post the info you say you have on the Thomas Leaver/Lever marriage please ?
Ive been curious about him too since I posted his army info because I have a Martha Leaver born 1801 Bolton (according to census) and I can't find Martha or Thomas bapts on Lancashire OPC and so was wondering if they might be siblings or cousins. Though I do know Leaver or Lever  is quite a common name in the Bolton area

Here is Martha's (spinster) marriage in 1825  Ormskirk , Lancashire to James Crompton a nail maker.

Dec 5th 1825
Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, Lancashire, England
James Crompton - (X), This Parish
Martha Leaver - (X), This Parish