Author Topic: Thomas Benjamin Dawson Jones, Wolverhampton  (Read 4480 times)

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A whole lot of yam-yam, a little bit Irish n Welsh
    • View Profile
Thomas Benjamin Dawson Jones, Wolverhampton
« on: Monday 10 December 12 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Any help here would be greatly appreciated  ;)

My great grandad Charles Jones gives his dads name as Thomas Benjamin Dawson Jones on his marraige cert. So I've located him on the censuses (I think). Ive got him as being born in Wolverhampton in 1858 in Poultney Street (from 1911 info). Ive found him on all the other censuses too I think, also his marraige to Rebecca Rickhuss in 1880 at St Lukes, Wton.

What Im hoping is that I can try and locate his Parents (Mother at least cus its looking like he was illegitimate). Ive got him in 1861 living in his Nans house,Martha Jones, with her adult children. Im thinking maybe one of the daughters are his Mom???

Also do you think the name Dawson that he has might be his dads name and they added it as a middle name?
(Theres a Dawson family just down the road too in 1861)

Thanks in advance, Lisa  :)
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Benjamin Dawson Jones, Wolverhampton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 December 12 11:34 GMT (UK) »
There is a birth registration for him but I'm not sure from your post if you already have this? He was as you say born Wolverhampton Q1/1858 - Volume no: 6B, Page no:391 The birth certificate will give you the information.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 December 12 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Colin, I had found that but thanks anyway :) iwas hoping I could deduce some info from the censuses or maybe someone else could see something I was missing lol...cheers, lisa
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 December 12 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Dawson could be his mothers maiden name

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 December 12 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Willow Im thinking now that maybe youre right. I think he can either be the child of one of the sisters present in 1861 or the eldest son Thomas. I cant find Thomas Benjamin Dawson on 1871. Just checked my files n I think I have his family but not him...unless Im missing something. On the 61 census all the siblings are listed as unmarried but on 71 if I have the right lot the brother, Thomas, is married but no wife there I dont think.

Can you see Thomas B D Joes in 1871???

Lisa x

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 December 12 15:56 GMT (UK) »
The marriage shown on FamilySearch https://familysearch.org names Rebecca's father (James Rickhuss), but not TBDJ's father, which would suggest that he was probably illegitimate. 

Rambler   :)
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 December 12 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks rambler! I guess that takes me back to my original thought that his mother was one of the daughters in the household in 1861.
Thanks lisa

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 October 15 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi after much messing about I finally got Thomas Benjamins birth certificate today! He was the son of Ann Jones (one of the daughters as I thought) and no dad is mentioned on the cert.

Im now trying to find out what happened to Ann, his Mom. Ive got her up to 1871 but after that Im thinking she either married or died but me oh my theres a lot of Ann Jones in Wolverhampton lol.

Any ideas off anyone would be great...she was born in 1838 in Ministerley in Salop/Shropshire.  Thanks Lisa

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 October 15 14:31 BST (UK) »
Any idea what her fathers name was? I'm guessing she married which might also be the reason for not finding Thomas on the 1871 if his surname is put down as his stepfathers so it might be worth trying to track her marriage on one of the sites by including her fathers name in the search to narrow the field a bit

Willow x

(PS GGrandmothers maiden name was Ann Jones - haven't located her birth certificate yet either!)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /