Author Topic: Blue Anchor Inn Sandwell Chare Croft  (Read 6072 times)

Offline LouiseB12

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blue Anchor Inn Sandwell Chare Croft
« on: Monday 10 December 12 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help with information about the Blue Anchor Inn on Sandwell Chare?  My gggrandfather, George Horsley, took over the pub in the 1870s.  He was there at his wife's death in 1876, in the 1879 Kelly's Directory and in the 1881 census.  I'm trying to discover when he took it over and when he left and who took over from him.
Also, and this is a longshot, does anyone know what the interior of the pub would have looked like?

Offline chrisdeas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Anchor Inn Sandwell Chare Croft
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 December 12 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello
There is or was a pub listed in Heartlepool called the blue anchor in 1894 The address is sandwell chare and the landlord was Edward pounder.Hope that helps

Offline chrisdeas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 December 12 17:39 GMT (UK) »
sorry that should have read Hartlepool !!

Offline LouiseB12

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 December 12 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info.  George died in 1885 and had given up the pub prior to this so I wonder if Edward Pounder took over from him.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 December 12 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Richard Turner was the landlord in the 1890 Trade Directory.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 December 12 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Northern Echo Wednesday 18 January 1882
Hartlepool – Freehold Public House for Sale
TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION, at the King’s Head Hotel, Hartlepool, on Wednesday the 18th day of January, 1882, at Two for Three o’Clock in the aftrenoon (subject to such Conditions as will then be read)
Mr. JAMES GRAHAM Auctioneer
All that FREEHOLD, FREE and FULL-LICENSED PUBLIC-HOUSE known as the “Blue Anchor” situate in Sandwell-chare in Hartlepool, aforesaid, together with the MALTHOUSE, now used as an 8-Stalled Stable, with Two Lofts adjoining.
On the Ground Floor of the House there are 5 Rooms, vis., Bar, Taproom, Parlour,Snug, and a small Kitchen; on the First Floor there are 8 Bedrooms, one large and two of moderate size; and on the Basement there is a cellar capable of holding 7 hogsheads. There is a Yard adjoining, with the usual Outhouses and Conveniences.
The Malthouse has been converted into an 8-Stalled Stable with two good Lofts above- one above the other.
The Public-house faces the Town Wall, Hartlepool, and is well patronised by Pilots, Fishermen, Sailors, and others, whose occupation brings them in its vicinity.
The Premises may be viewed on application to the present Tenant, Mr. J. Horsley, and further particulars obtained on application to the AUCTIONEER; or to
Messrs TURNBULL AND TILLEY.
Solicitors, West Hartlepool

Stan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 December 12 22:14 GMT (UK) »
You can see the Blue Anchor on the 1862 Town Plan at http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html?coords=452700,533623

Stan

Offline LouiseB12

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 December 12 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Stan, This information is really useful.  I believe J. Horsley was George's elder brother John.  Both brothers were pilots but George gave it up and probably ran the pub on John's behalf. 

I guess if John was the tenant he would not have owned the property?  Is there any way of finding out who did own it and/or who bought it?  And who the tenant was who took it over, or maybe John remained the tenant? 

The location map is very useful.  My great grandparents, Henry and Mary Davies, ran the Lord Clyde pub for a number of years, my grandmother was born there in 1898.  I have both Millbank Crescent and Clyde Terrace as their address at the time.  Would you know if this fits with the location of the Lord Clyde? 

Another pub connection in Hartlepool is the Life Boat Inn by the Town Wall.  My ancestor died after falling off the Town Wall opposite the Life Boat Inn but I haven't been able to locate it.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 December 12 15:19 GMT (UK) »
A Mr. Charles Thomas Watson, (a builder) appeared before the Hartlepool Brewster Sessions, for the confirmation of his licence for the Central Hotel, which was conditional on the closing the Blue Anchor, it says he did not own it, but held the licence. It does not give the name of the owner.  The Northern Echo Wednesday 29 September 1897
The Blue Anchor is not marked on the 1901 1:500 Town Plan, though the other public houses are.

Stan