Author Topic: any old photos of Queen Street ,Dumfries ?  (Read 3215 times)

Offline 2Harriet

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
any old photos of Queen Street ,Dumfries ?
« on: Wednesday 19 December 12 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am studying the history of this area and would be very grateful for any photos of Queen Street 1880's onwards that anyone is happy to share with me.

Thanks all for being a great community and I wish you all a Merry Christmas, happy holiday and a Guid New Year.
Ayrshire-Meikle, Gordon, Hainey
Wigtownshire-Gordon, Murray,
Dumfriesshire- Beattie, Ireland, Morrison
Kirkcudbright- Heron, Herries, Garmory
Carlisle- Morrison, Johnston, Irving
Ireland- Daly

Offline DGFHS-vol

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dumfries and Galloway Family History Society
    • View Profile
Re: any old photos of Queen Street ,Dumfries ?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 December 12 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am studying the history of this area and would be very grateful for any photos of Queen Street 1880's onwards that anyone is happy to share with me.

Thanks all for being a great community and I wish you all a Merry Christmas, happy holiday and a Guid New Year.
Hi Harriet,
I see you haven't had any response to your query yet.
D&G Council Cultural Service website lists 16 images of Queens Streets in various D&G towns but not a single one for Dumfries. 
See http://www.dgttl.co.uk/index.php?a=wordsearch&s=gallery&w=Queen+Street&go=Go
That doesn't really surprise me !  There is very little of any significant interest in Queen Street Dumfries. Queen Street can claim just the one building of particularly interest. Where Queen Street crosses Shakespeare Street there is the gable end of the Theatre Royal, the oldest working theatre in Sctland. Sloping down from English Street, near the town centre, it runs to Brooms Road which is one of the main through roads in the town. 
It is not a wide street and today that is much reduced because it tends to fill up with vehicles parked on either side of the carriage way.
The house are mainly red or buff sandstone, two storey with most having had their attic space converted to a provind a further floor of rooms.
What is your particular interest in Queen Street?
D&GFHS Research Centre is closed until mid-January, but when it does open I could have a look in their archives to see if their are any suitable images there.
Cheers
Sy
and Happy New Year to all Roots Chatterers everywhere
" Lang may yer lums reek !"

Offline DGFHS-vol

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dumfries and Galloway Family History Society
    • View Profile
Re: any old photos of Queen Street ,Dumfries ?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 December 12 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Location of Theatre Royal, Dumfries -- on the corner of Shakespeare Stree and Queen Street.