Author Topic: Henry Augustus Dalby COMPLETED  (Read 2392 times)

Offline silicondale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • ggg-grandad William Vine
    • View Profile
Henry Augustus Dalby COMPLETED
« on: Thursday 02 June 05 11:30 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information on Henry Augustus Dalby or his descendants.

I lose track of him in England (St Germans, Cornwall) after his marriage and his wife's death in 1840. There was a Henry Dalby on the Amelia Thompson, which sailed from Plymouth to New Plymouth, in 1841. I presume one and the same - but what happened to him after that ?

He isn't mentioned in his father's will (in England) in 1851, so possibly died in the ten years after his arrival in NZ - or disinherited.
Henley (Brighton 1820+, Bedfordshire pre-1840),  Vine, Button, Bradford, Bodle (Sussex), Willey (Sheffield, London), Nattriss (London), Wood, Jones, Blaker, Shrimpton (London), Dalby (London 1800+, E.Yorkshire pre-1810), Hillmann, von Thun (London and Hannover)

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Augustus Dalby
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 June 05 02:45 BST (UK) »
A Henry Augustus DALBY married a Susan PILCHER in 1845 in NZ.

Apart from the Dalby on the 'Amelia Thompson', there was also an H DALBY on the 'Douglas' which arrived in 1874.

riley
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline silicondale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 June 05 09:41 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, riley - the first one sounds to be the more likely, if he arrived in 1841. There's no info, I suppose, on where in NZ he married Susan Pilcher ?

I guess it's possible that he went back to England at some stage and then returned to NZ again in 1874, but more likely the second H Dalby was someone entirely different.
Henley (Brighton 1820+, Bedfordshire pre-1840),  Vine, Button, Bradford, Bodle (Sussex), Willey (Sheffield, London), Nattriss (London), Wood, Jones, Blaker, Shrimpton (London), Dalby (London 1800+, E.Yorkshire pre-1810), Hillmann, von Thun (London and Hannover)

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 June 05 07:55 BST (UK) »
Tou will need to get the DALBY/PILCHER marriage certificate to get more details. NZ marriage folios aren't cross-referenced to location, unlike births and deaths.

riley
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline silicondale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 June 05 08:09 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, anyway! He's not a direct ancestor in any case, so it's more a matter of interest than anything else: he's the eldest son of the brother of an ancestor. Interesting that a few years later a cousin of his (George Octavius Dalby) also emigrated - to Adelaide - and I am in touch with one of his descendants.

Offline lil growler

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Augustus Dalby COMPLETED
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 May 17 04:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Steven

I am hoping you still check in. I came across someone recently who is writing up some information on the white Hart and that triggered my memory about your Henry. You know how I thought the general store was the bottle store attached and part of the White Hart Hotel, that Henry ran....Well. I have confirmation it was indeed the White Hart https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/TH18681017.2.13.1?query=dalby I know papers past update all the time, so thought I would recheck and....

lil
Ireland, Scotland , England, America, Australia, New Zealand

Offline lil growler

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Ireland, Scotland , England, America, Australia, New Zealand

Offline silicondale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Augustus Dalby COMPLETED
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 May 17 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, Lil -
Many thanks for these. I found a lot of references in Papers Past (mainly the Taranaki Herald) but these two are both new to me.  It horrifies me to see how long ago my previous posts were! Since then I have accumulated a lot of information on Henry Dalby, including from a holiday in New Zealand in 2011 when I had the opportunity to visit the New Plymouth archives. This visit didn't add a great deal of new information, sadly - in particular there was no answer I could find, about what happened to his wife and possible children. However, there were some interesting early photos, as well as town plans of New Plymouth showing where Henry Dalby lived.
For the last 3 years I have been up to ears in new work (having intended to retire and spend more time on the family history!) and also facing diminishing returns on the genealogical research effort: a lot of brick walls that I fear may be insurmountable
But occasional snippets like these give me new hope - and my workload should reduce a bit by the end of the year. Thank you very much indeed for that!
-Stephen