Author Topic: Saunders/Waters/Whapham of Rusthall,Kent  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Saunders/Waters/Whapham of Rusthall,Kent
« on: Saturday 05 January 13 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Im researching mineral water and ginger beer manufacturers of Tunbridge Wells and surrounding area and could use some assistance for a company begun in Rusthall at 28 Salisbury Road about 1892 by William Adolphus Waters. I have all the information I need for him but need to pick up the story of the business after the death of W.A.Waters June 19,1945. His probate records his son William Percy Waters, born 1889 at Speldhurst/Rusthall as a mineral water manufacturer who took over his fathers business when his father died. William Percy Waters also had two brothers namely George born 1891 and Alfred S born 1899. I need any information you can offer for all three brothers (geneology and for the family mineral water business). For William Percy Waters I have him going into partnership with Eli Whapham,born 1879 at Mayfield,Sussex the son of James and Elizabeth Whapham.Eli lived with parents/siblings at Mayfield until at least 1901.He married 1st qtr 1927 Beatrice A Waters, the eldest daughter of William Adolphus Waters and in about 1946 went into partnership with William Percy Waters and their mineral water company became known as Waters & Whapham. I find a listing for Waters & Whapham in a 1957 phone directory at the same 28 Salisbury Road address as before.Also found directories for 1958 to 1966 a E.G. Whalpham at 4 Fairfield Ave, Tunbridge Wells. Also found probate for Eli at 4 Fairfield died April 25,1966 with probate to Eric George Whapham.A website about Rusthall History in "Memories of Rosemary Holland" says Rosemanry lived at 14 Salisbury Rd in the 1930's-1940's and that she remembers a Bill Saunders who had a bottling plant on Salisbury Rd who made ginger beer and fizzy drinks. Can anyone confirm he took over the Waters & Whapham business and what is know about Bill Saunders? Any photos of the business premises,company vehicles,bottles,  or the people mentioned also needed.

Offline Fizzyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Saunders/Waters/Whapham of Rusthall,Kent
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 February 17 21:54 GMT (UK) »
I think I have the information you require.     Unfortunately some of the facts are incorrect.
On the death of W.A.Waters the business was continued by his son William Percy Waters and his daughter Beatrice Annie Waters and not by his son-in-law Eli Whapham although he did help in the business.       No-one else was producing fizzy drinks or ginger beer in Salisbury Road Rusthall so I'm afraid the name Bill Saunders in also incorrect.     Sorry but I cannot remember any pictures being taken of the business premises.     Unfortunately the brother George was killed in the 1914-18 war.

Offline Fizzyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Saunders/Waters/Whapham of Rusthall,Kent
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 February 17 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Sorry    Should have given the daughter's name as Beatrice Annie Whapham (nee Waters)