Author Topic: O'Malley Mullaghglass/Glassillaun/Culfin  (Read 9023 times)

Offline GloriaC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: O'Malley Mullaghglass/Glassillaun/Culfin
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 April 16 02:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth,

Thank you for replying so quickly. I've spent several hours today, working to find more information about Andrew Malley and Mary King and was able to trace their son Michael, the one in the 1851 census extract. I'll outline that in my next post. Hopefully that will allow us to connect more easily.

You mentioned your sister Alice. Does she live in Portland by chance? If so, we may indeed have a match. There is another match on Ancestry and one on 23andMe. They appear to have Malleys in common, but I can't figure out where my/our guys would fit. Hopefully, we'll figure that out.

More shortly.
Gloria
McDonnell, Malley, Heanue

Offline GloriaC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 April 16 02:32 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

Griffith's Valuation shows one Andrew Mealy in Mullaghglass. My gg grandmother Mary was born to an Andrew about 1856 in Mullaghglass, Michael was born to Andrew and Mary King Malley in 1846 and I found a birth for Andrew born to Andrew and Mary King Malley in 1865. It's kind of circumstantial, but I'm thinking that Mary's parents were indeed Andrew and Mary King Malley. I found a marriage record for Michael 21 Feb 1870. It states he is living in Mullaghglass. He married Honor Faherty of Glassillaun. The second witness was Mary Maley. I found baptisms for 6 daughters, the last two list Glassillaun as the location so I suspect that's where they lived after they married. I found Michael and Honor in Glassillaun in 1901 and 1911. The ages are all strange, but at least I think it must be them based on the census extract in 1916 that gives Glassillaun as his address.

I also listed out all of the Malley witnesses and sponsors for Michael and Mary Malley McDonnell's children. Briefly, Andrew and Mary 1873, Andrew 1875, 1877 and 1883. Michael and Honor 1891 and 1895. Michael 1893. An Anne Malley was witness to the marriage of daughter Margaret McDonnell in 1897.

I wasn't able to come up with any other children for Andrew Malley and I haven't yet found a death record for him or Mary although they would have died after the start of Civil Registration and apparently before the 1901 census.

And that's where things stand at the moment. I'm looking forward to your thoughts and ideas.
Gloria

Offline GloriaC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 April 16 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth,

I tried to pm you this morning, not sure if I found the right person. In any case, wanted to tell you that I've been working on Patrick this morning. He had at least three children with Honor. There was a son Thomas, baptized in Culfin 30 Dec 1877. Witness for the marriage was Thomas Coyne. If Honor's father was Thomas, the boy could have been named for him. Or there could have been an older son... Also found a baptism for Bridget in Glassillaun 14 May 1882. I couldn't find one for Mary. The three of them were listed and then crossed out on the 1901 census. I don't know if that means they were still living and we should look for them or not.

Gloria

Gloria

Offline Kathleen Carr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 February 20 16:25 GMT (UK) »
John O'Malley, my great great grandfather lists Culfin Ireland as his birthplace.  He was born July 15, 1881.  He emigrated to American in 1904 or 1914.  He married Mary McDonald.  I am searching for John's birth certificate.  He was Roman Catholic.  I am also going to Culfin on February 16, 2020. Any assistance with information would be very much appreciated.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 February 20 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kathleen and welcome  :)

Did John marry in Ireland or US?
Do you have his father’s name if he married in America or any other family names?

Do you know this site? It is free to use but you have to solve a captcha

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

There is this birth but not Culfin
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1880/02858/2047189.pdf

This is that family in 1901 census
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Galway/Sillerna/Attigoddaun/1370151/

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 February 20 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Where did John emigrate to? :(
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kathleen Carr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 February 20 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your quick reply.  John emigrated to Aurora Illinois.  I do have a copy of his Naturalization papers but do not know when  or where he married. I do not know his parents names.  Because the birthdate is listed on his emigration papers is 7/15/1881 I do not think that is his birth record but will spend a little bit more time on the website looking around.  Any and all help is very much appreciated!
Kathleen

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 February 20 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, Kathleen  :)

Here are the townlands of Culfin and Glassillaun for you to peruse.

https://www.townlands.ie/galway/ballynahinch/ballynakill/rinvyle/culfin/
https://www.townlands.ie/galway/ballynahinch/ballynakill/cushkillary/glassillaun/

Enjoy your trip to Galway !

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo