Author Topic: ANDERSON, Castlereagh Area, Belfast  (Read 10666 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ANDERSON, Castlereagh Area, Belfast
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 09:07 BST (UK) »
More online since you started this topic a few years ago  :)

Birth: Matthew Anderson (1868)
Birth: David Anderson (1869)
Birth: Jane Anderson (1875)

Other children of William Anderson & Jane Anderson-
Birth: un-named son (20 Feb.1865)
Birth: Margaret (2 Feb.1866)
Birth: Margaret (28 Apr.1867)
Birth: William Snowden (26 Jan.1871)

could be more...
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 10:01 BST (UK) »
William Snowden Anderson 1871-1938
Grave- https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=176697337

William Snowden Anderson 1907-1949
Grave- https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=176697342
Anderson William Snowden of 229 King's Road Belfast salesman died 12 May 1949 at Royal Victoria Hospital Belfast Administration Belfast 19 October to Helen Elizabeth Joyce Anderson the widow. Effects £808 19s. 4d.

William Snowden Anderson (paint merchant) married Elizabeth Anderson
Birth: William Snowden (1907), Whitehead, Templecorran

William Snowden Anderson, wife Elizabeth & family-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Pottinger__part_of_/Sanford_Avenue/229252

Elizabeth's daughter Maud Alexander Reid (born 1902) (buried as Maud Anderson)

Offline Gortraney

• RootsChat Member
  • Albert John Higginson and Ellen Skillen Currie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 14:28 BST (UK) »
Oooooh! And just when I was about to step away from it for a day ;)

This is ALL new to me barring the birth dates of the first three. So, once again THANK YOU. Shall follow up forthwith :)
Ballinderry, Co. Antrim - Higginson/McCoy
Co. Londonderry - Hammond Higginson
Crevilleyvalley, Ballymena, Co. Antrim - Hanna/Boyle/Kennedy
Boyle, Co. Roscommon - Sloan/McLean
Co. Antrim - William John Sloan/Margaret Kirk
Co. Antrim - Wylie/Anderson
Co. Antrim - Currie (specifically link between Samuel Currie and Sir Donald Currie the shipping magnate)
Drumbo, Co. Down - McIlveen from Saint John McIlveen back to Allen McIlveen
Lurgan, Co. Armagh - Armstrong

Offline Gortraney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 15:09 BST (UK) »
William Snowden Anderson (snr) is coming up on my search as the child of William John Anderson and Jane Anderson. The dates fit, but I vaguely recall a William John Anderson who was a grocer or merchant in Belfast who we dismissed at one point.

Yes, in fact, here he is with his parents in 1901 with his name misspelled: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Windsor_Ward/Cromac_Street/975332

The others all seem to fit though, so YAY!
Co. Antrim - Currie (specifically link between Samuel Currie and Sir Donald Currie the shipping magnate)

Offline wadgram

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 16:05 BST (UK) »
Re connections with Anderson family, originally from Inch area, then in Co. Down
(Banbridge) Rev Robert Anderson's wife was Mary Scott.  She was  born about 1815, (from Banbridge I think), married 1840, died 1896 aged 81 at her daughter's house in Belfast.  Mary Scott had a brother John born c.1810

Mary Anderson (daughter of Rev. Robert Anderson and Mary Scott, c.1845 - 1927) married Rev. John Waddell (1840 -1915).

Rev. Robert Anderson and Mary Scott had other children, Annie. c.1843-1865, Thomas c.1841-1861 and Margaret, c.1847 - 1860

I don't know if any of that connects with your family

Offline Gortraney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 17:00 BST (UK) »
Re connections with Anderson family, originally from Inch area, then in Co. Down
(Banbridge) Rev Robert Anderson's wife was Mary Scott.  She was  born about 1815, (from Banbridge I think), married 1840, died 1896 aged 81 at her daughter's house in Belfast.  Mary Scott had a brother John born c.1810

Mary Anderson (daughter of Rev. Robert Anderson and Mary Scott, c.1845 - 1927) married Rev. John Waddell (1840 -1915).

Rev. Robert Anderson and Mary Scott had other children, Annie. c.1843-1865, Thomas c.1841-1861 and Margaret, c.1847 - 1860

I don't know if any of that connects with your family

I have an Isabella Scott, father William Scott, who married Samuel Walker Anderson of Oughley in 1866. His father was Richard Anderson (1790-1868), so I reckon must be a generation back from my great great grandfather, Richard Anderson (1805-1880). Is any of that familiar?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 20:04 BST (UK) »
I think there were at least 3 (and possibly more) William Andersons married to Jane Andersons which does make it difficult to sort them, and their children, all out  :-\ after I posted earlier I'd also come to the conclusion that William Snowden Anderson wasn't the family you are looking for.

George Anderson was mentioned earlier- wife Emily? Is this them in both 1901 and 1911?
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Saintfield/Main_Street___Saintfield/1242145 grocer
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Saintfield/Main_Street/251105 farmer
If so, this is the only marriage I could find (George Anderson to Emily Gamble)-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1891/10673/5889812.pdf
George Anderson, Oughley, son of George, to Emily Gamble

Offline Gortraney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 16:57 BST (UK) »
I think there were at least 3 (and possibly more) William Andersons married to Jane Andersons which does make it difficult to sort them, and their children, all out  :-\ after I posted earlier I'd also come to the conclusion that William Snowden Anderson wasn't the family you are looking for.

George Anderson was mentioned earlier- wife Emily? Is this them in both 1901 and 1911?
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Saintfield/Main_Street___Saintfield/1242145 grocer
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Saintfield/Main_Street/251105 farmer
If so, this is the only marriage I could find (George Anderson to Emily Gamble)-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1891/10673/5889812.pdf
George Anderson, Oughley, son of George, to Emily Gamble

Yes, that's the one! And by the looks of it with the Oughley connection, one of mine, though not in the direct line as I'd hoped. *sigh* An unusual forename at this point would be SO helpful.

Offline Gortraney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 06 November 22 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Just a wee update on this since it's been a while (and in case anyone else might find it useful or has more snippets of info)  :)

Starting with my grandmother Jane Anderson 1875 -1951) who married James Wylie.

Her parents were William Anderson (1830 -1911) and Jane Anderson (1833 - 1924) who from what I can tell were cousins.

William's parents were John Anderson (born abt. 1808) and  (another) Jane and I believe John is a brother to Richard Anderson (1805-1880) whose gravestone is in Ouley/Oughley.

Jane's (1833-1924) father, if I'm correct, was that same Richard Anderson  (1805-1880)

Currently I can't go any further back than Richard and John.

Richard Anderson (1805-1880) and unknown wife had the following:

1/ Eliza Ann (1824-1879)

2/ Richard (1828-?) m. Eliza Ann (1822-1879) and had at least one child James Anderson (1857-1931) who married Jane Clarke Millen

3/ William Anderson (1830 to bef.1911) m. Jane Anderson (1833-1924) (My Line) who had sons Matthew Anderson (1868-?), David Anderson (1869-?) and daughter Jane (1875-1951)

4/ David Anderson (1836-?)

5/ John Anderson (1841-?)

6/ Isabella Anderson (1851-?)

From what I can tell the last three never married.

John Anderson (1808-?) and Jane had the following:

a/ George Anderson (1828-1821) m. Mary

b/ William Anderson (1830-1911) m. Jane Anderson (1833-1924) - my line (see 3 above)

Though obvs there may be more children in both lines I am unaware of at this point.

There is, however, another branch of what I believe is the same family, in the same graveyard. Richard Anderson (1790-1868) and his wife Eliza Shaw (1794-1871), children William John Anderson (1815-1885) m. Agnes West and then Maria Louisa Woods, Samuel Walker Anderson (1830-1888) m. Isabella Scott, James Shaw Anderson (1834-1915) m. Elizabeth Dickson.

So if anyone can untangle any more of this or point out where I may have gone wrong, as always it would be MUCH appreciated!  ;)