Author Topic: CLAYTON Death and burial records  (Read 2973 times)

Offline corblimey

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CLAYTON Death and burial records
« on: Tuesday 15 January 13 06:35 GMT (UK) »
Despite much research through death and burial records, I cannot find the deaths and burials of my great-great-grandparents Ellen and Thomas Clayton in Middlesex.   I have even checked Lancashire in case they went to live with family after all of their children had left home.  No luck so far.  I found an Ellen Clayton (died 1910 in Islington) but this is not my g-g-grandmother.  I have also found Thomas Claytons but cannot check whether they are my g-g-grandfather or not as there is little information on the burial record (Deceasedonline).  The problem is that the Ellen Clayton who died in Islington in 1910 was also married to a Thomas Clayton.  They were both of similar ages to my g-g-grandparents.  Can anyone help me please to find their death/burial records?

Ellen Clayton (m/s Baglin) born Bath 1832, last address in 1891 census 45 Charlotte Street, Portland Place, Marylebone.  The children still living with them emigrated to the US or moved away after this census and I can't find Thomas and Ellen after this census.
Thomas Clayton, born Scriven, Knaresborough, Yorkshire 1819.  He was a tailor by trade.

I would be most grateful for any hints or tips as to how I might find Thomas and Ellen after 1891 and when they died.  The informant at their deaths will give me a clue as to whether they are my g-g-grandparents. 

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: CLAYTON Death and burial records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have just looked on the National Burial Index 2nd Edition and no Claytons in Middlesex at the time the discs were done.

NDRFT
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 20:19 GMT (UK) »
I have also found Thomas Claytons but cannot check whether they are my g-g-grandfather or not as there is little information on the burial record

Ellen is widowed in 1891.

For Thomas CLAYTON's burial, I suggest you look at the image of the 1887 burial register for Islington Cemetery (not just at the index), and compare the address where he died with the addresses shown in the 1881 and 1891 censuses.

Offline corblimey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 January 13 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your help.  I can now dismiss Islington as a place of death for Thomas and Ellen.  I did look at the image on Deceasedonline and the address for Thomas when he died is 32 Sonning Street, Islington and that is not an address that any of the Claytons that I know of lived at. 

Thomas was still alive in 1891, he is on the census with his wife, Ellen and some of their children.
Thomas Clayton 71 tailor born Knaresborough Yorkshire
Ellen Clayton  56  dressmaker born Bath Somerset  (probably more like 58 she was born 1832)
Isabel Edith Clayton 19, domestic servant born 17 May 1871                                     
William H Marchant, grandson, son of Isabel E Clayton aged 1, born c 1890
Elizabeth  Ann Parker 17 (nee Clayton) born 17 July 1873  wife of George
George Parker, 22, druggist/chemist warehouseman, born Marylebone, London 1868/1869
Francis C Gibson 13, grandson, born 1878 (Charles Frank Clayton born Chelsea 1878)
Living at 43/45 Charlotte Street, St Pancras, London

I can only think that after they all left (Elizabeth Ann and George emigrated in 1892/1893 and Francis Gibson went to Lancashire to live with his aunt.  Isabel Edith Clayton married and moved away) Thomas and Ellen moved also, perhaps nearer family.  The only family that they had was a sister of Ellen's living in Battersea (Matilda Clarke) and children and grandchildren in Accrington/Haslingden, Lancashire.  This is why I can't find them after the 1891 census and the second Thomas and Ellen Clayton living in Islington (Campbell Road) have maded it more confusing.  I will try Battersea area and Lancashire from 1891 to 1900 (neither appear in the 1901 census).