Author Topic: Eight Bells Inn, Shifnal  (Read 3103 times)

Offline Poppyjoey

• RootsChat Senior
  • GG Grandmother Louisa Laville
    • View Profile
Re: Eight Bells Inn, Shifnal
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, sorry about the delay in my response. I'm still a bit confused  -  I assume your grandparents ran the White Star? My ancestors ran the Eight Bells. The Eight Bells existed in the 18oos as it is on census entries for my ancestors. But,  Wikipedia says it replaced the White Star in 1911 which can't be right. Is it the White Star you have photos of?

Thanks
Julie
Abercrombie & Bartlet -  Berkshire
Collinge - Lancs
Finch - Cheshire
Orwin - Derbyshire
Simpson - Shropshire
Morgans - Montgomeryshire
McCartney - Ayrshire
Pursell - Argyll
Ramsay - Argyll
Thomson - Argyll
Hutchinson - Cheshire
Laville - Warwickshire
Rea - Warwickshire
Drake - Kirkheaton
Brook - Kirkheaton
Humpleby - Kirkheaton

Offline hihehim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 13:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your message, they ran the eight bells inn, I have been looking at the pictures today, and then received your message. I have seen the name pitchford on the eight bells inn. I am increasingly more and more annoyed by the research i have been given and re examining the facts myself the white star and eight bells burnt down and the building which is now the odd fellows wine bar is the building that is in its place. The year of the fire may not be 1911, it was on a website. they definitely ran the eight bells inn.

I have pictures of the eight bells inn and the white sar

Offline hihehim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 May 16 04:25 BST (UK) »
In a search. I have found a death record in the Welsh newspapers should you want a copy please send your email

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 May 16 09:02 BST (UK) »
On the 1901 Census the Star Hotel is at No 11 and the Eight Bells at No 9 (Harry R Morgans - Licensed Victualler). The Eight Bells was still No 9 in 1911 but No 11 is missing from the street number sequence. No mention of a Star Hotel.

Kelly's Directory of Shropshire 1913 (on line) has the Eight Bells in Market Place, no number given, and the landlord is the same landlord as the 1911 Census.

Offline LLSM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 November 23 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Here is a very late reply, prompted by my going through some old family pictures. I have a watercolour painting of Shifnal by Edward N Lewis in circa 1882. Here is my photo of it:

This is painted from under then (then smaller and arched) railway bridge. On the left can be seen the Eight Bells Inn and, next but one, Star Hotel. The building between them, if I and the artist are not mistaken, also displays an Inn sign (but I can't read the name).