Author Topic: Birmingham Register Office  (Read 2663 times)

Offline AfricanDream

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birmingham Register Office
« on: Tuesday 22 January 13 02:38 GMT (UK) »
I live in Brunei and have ordered certificates twice now, directly from the Birmingham Register Office.
http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cs/Satellite?c=Page&childpagename=Register-Office%2FPageLayout&cid=1223092615075&pagename=BCC%2FCommon%2FWrapper%2FWrapper

Wow..what excellent service. Mr John Yates, the genealogist is wonderful! Such a friendly man. Way better than the National Archives.
Well done! :)
Maclure,Hickey,Jones,Jefferys,Pace,Sherwin,Warren,Kirby, Goodenough, Taaffe, Piggott, Green

Offline mrsruz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birmingham Register Office
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 15:15 GMT (UK) »
I was on a Family History course with John seveal years ago through Birmingham University.
yes, he´s a great  guy, really helpful & he knows his stuff.

Offline Ewan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Just got to add this, my family history has ended from the Birmingham aspect of it, I found Mr Yates so helpful and friendly nothing too much for him :) :).  Yes he does know his stuff, hope he is recognised for it one day, shame not all register offices are so helpful and polite and the Birmingham one!

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Birmingham is very lucky to have him and to be able to afford his services.

Registrars and Register Offices are now funded by the rate-payer not the GRO so can't afford the luxury of the service Birmingham provide.

Most of them are too busy dealing with births & marriages, families of the recently departed and now more frequently citizenship applications, they don't have the time to help. With more call centres now dealing with the applications for copy certificates, they don't even have the relevant knowledge.

Well done Birmingham.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 11:53 GMT (UK) »
I hope he's not employed by the City Council now as they have a significant hole in their finances. :(  We all await to see what services are likely to get cut.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day