Author Topic: Claude McGuire South Australia to Canada  (Read 3679 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Claude McGuire South Australia to Canada
« on: Thursday 24 January 13 06:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello fellow Rootschatters,
I have been very fortunate in being able to not only put a name to the missing great grandfather in my tree, but, thanks to the kind people on the Australia board, also gather some details about him.
The story so far: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,631127.0.html

Now I am looking to find out more about him in Saskatchewan. I recently discovered that his son Louis married and had nine (!) children. So I guess I have some rellies in Canada.
Obviously I am not looking to find living relatives. I am unfamiliar with what resources are available, and how to go about tracing Claude and his Canadian family.

Cheers,
Darren
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Claude McGuire South Australia to Canada
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 January 13 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Some info and sites to help with your search in Canada
Canada has very strict privacy laws so you may need to concentrate on newspapers and genealogy groups to get further in your search. Also bmd's are by province and each province has their own privacy laws.

http://automatedgenealogy.com
1906/Alberta/Alberta District/Subdistrict 35A (town of Lethbridge, location Redpath)
Claude H. McGuire, head, age 27, b. Australia, imm 1902
Ella McGuire, wife, age 31, b. United States, imm 1904

It is possible they married in the US and not Canada.

1911/Saskatchewan/Moose Jaw/83 Township 1 page 7
Chas H. McGuire, head, b. Aug 1884, Australia, imm 1902, rancher, no religion
Nellie McGuire, wife, B.May 1869, USA,imm 1905? hard to read, catholic
location given is lot 33 (31)/5/15 hard to read
difference in names and births but I think this is the same couple as in 1906. the lot location is the same as western land grant for Claude H. Mcguire.

www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/index-e.html
Western Land Grants 1870-1930
there are 2 for Claude Hamilton (Claude H.) McGuire
NE 20/16/13/W3 Swift Current Sheet
E 30/5/15/W3 Wood Mountain Sheet

There isn't much information on the land grant applications but you can contact Library and Archives Canada for the date of the application.

www.saskarchives.com
Homestead applications are held at Provincial Archives and may hold more information.

www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cansk/Saskatchewan/archive.html
Saskatchewan Gen Web Project

www.isc.ca/VitalStatistics/Genealogy/vsgs_srch.aspx
births more than 100 years ago
deaths more than 70 years (currently deaths prior to 1917)
marriages more than 75 years, work on this index will commence after the index of deaths has been completed.

I am off to an appointment but will look for more information later today and post if I find anything.

Bracken is just north of the US border and the closest big center would be Swift Current. You may want to contact the libraries in Swift Current and Moose Jaw to see what they may have in their genealgy sections. Sometimes there are books on local histories with sections on individual farmers etc.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 January 13 18:26 GMT (UK) »
http://fpbfssl.sasktelwebhosting.com/Obituaries/2004/McGUIRE%20LOUIS/louismcguirefull.htm
Link to the obituary for Louis - 1936 border crossing document indicates he was the adopted son of Claude.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 January 13 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Valeriec, thank you so much for your detailed reply. I will look at the various sites you mention, but it seems finding his death date could be a bit more difficult than I thought.

Cosmac, I did find that obituary, but was unsure about it. It doesn't actually say he was adopted; in fact it doesn't even mention Claude or his wife, which I found odd. However, Bracken being such a small place (then and now), what are the chances of there being 2 Louis McGuire's?

I probably need to find Claude and Ella's marriage to confirm the census details and Louis' background (adopted or not). It might pay to for me to follow up the Felardeau family from the obit as well.

Once again, thank you very much. This has helped me in my search for this "missing" great grandfather.

Cheers, Darren

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 January 13 19:52 GMT (UK) »
www.canada411.ca
www.binkleys.com

using information from the obituary may help you to contact some living relatives is you chose to go that route. Several of the names or those of spouses in the obituary are listed on the online telephone directory at canada 411. Some have only telephone numbers and others addresses.

Bracken cemetery transcriptions may be available through
www.saskgenealogy.com

The funeral home, Binkleys, may also be able to give you some direction as Louis was buried in Bracken cemetery in the last 10 years.

You also have the name of the McGuire farm, Whitemud River - Mac McGuire ranch. That may get you even father in your search.  If you do an internet search for Whitemud River, Saskatchewan you should be able to bring up a slew of pictures for Bracken and surrounding area. It isn't exactly what you are looking for but the pictures show what the area looked like and you may find it interesting.

Will continue to look for info for you.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 January 13 20:42 GMT (UK) »
www.deathindexes.com/canada.html
British Columbia Archives Genealogy Search

just put in surname Felardeau and 5 names will come up. They are Louis McGuire's father, 2 of his brothers, an uncle and his grandfather.
It appears that his father was born in Michigan and his mother was born in Oregon. His brother Delbert was born Oct 30, 1930 in Instow, Saskatchewan. You will be able to view the death certificates for the five names and in some cases it gives the cause of death and they are interesting. Louis may have gone to live with the McGuire's out of pure necessity. It was a large family of children and I'm not sure how well his biological father was able to take care of them. Some of Louis's siblings were born in the USA as well.

The above site does have access to some bmd's in the different states. Similar to Canada, you need to know the state to look for bmd's and different states have different privacy laws so it can be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 January 13 22:55 GMT (UK) »
I know the Felardeau's are not exactly a family connection, but the causes of death certainly make "interesting" reading, as you say. Homicide! Certainly a story behind that one.
It does seem that Louis was either adopted by, or took the surname of, Claude McGuire. It is still curious why there was no mention in his otherwise very detailed obituary.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 January 13 03:42 GMT (UK) »
www.shaunavonmuseum.ca/index.html

Grand Coteau Heritage and Cultural Centre

www.chinooklibrary.ca/chinook.htm

go to About Chinook, then to Map of Chinook Region
Climax is closest to Bracken

You have nothing to lose by contacting these organizations and see if they may be able to put you in the right direction. The library will know what is available in that area. Someone may take an interest and decide to look up some info for you.

I went to the cemetery transcriptions that are available online and couldn't find anything for Bracken.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 January 13 03:45 GMT (UK) »
I see from your other postings that you found the reference in Saskatchewan records for the name change of Louis from Felardeau to McGuire in 1946.

FamilySearch.org has Saskatchewan land record files online.  You have to browse through the images but it doesn't take too long to find what you want.  Use the File Number from the SHIP Homestead Record site.  I took File 1716953 and found the appropriate clump of files and the image for this particular file is on pages 703 to 717.