Author Topic: Tasmania Convicts  (Read 3403 times)

Offline KAYET

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tasmania Convicts
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 January 13 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Yes obviously Thomas is a common name and easily mixed up.

George Griffin Thomas is not who married Florence Patterson.  I have their marriage cert.
On the 1903  Electoral Roll George Griffin Thomas was at the same address as an Eliza Thomas is Northcote as I remember.  George Thomas and Florence Patterson were both living in Port Melbourne in 1903.

On George born 1847 marriage cert in 1885 to Florence Fraser (nee Patterson) states his parents were James Thomas and Jane Gardener and he was born in Hobart and James was as Tailor as was he.   On George's son George marriage cert it has his father was George and his mother Florence.  I know these are correct as they are in the family bible I have for George jnr wife's family.

Then an inaccuracy on George born 1847 death cert and on it states he was born in London England but everything else is correct, his son George was the informant so it is probably what he was told to cover up his father being a convict.

So I would say it was a case of wanting people to know he was the son of a convict.

kaye

Offline Annaclarke79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 October 18 00:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,
This was all written a long time ago so might be a bit late. George had a sister Eliza Jane Thomas ( my gg grandmother) could this be the Eliza in question?
Anna

Offline KAYET

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 October 18 03:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna, this research is in my husbands family.  His name is Robin His father was Frederick Thomas b 1913-1988 his father was George b 1874-1939 and his father was George 1847-1912 died in Melbourne his father was James Thomas and his mother Jane Thomas (née Gardener)   I have his sister Eliza Jane Thomas born 1854.  Does this sound like your ancestry.   Kaye

Offline Annaclarke79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 October 18 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Kaye,
Great to hear from you.I'm sure it is. Eliza Jane  Thomas married Fredrick William Gray(1840-1901) and had at least 11 children one of which was Violet Elizabeth (b1891). Violet married  Frank Brown and they had a daughter Dora. They moved to Glenshesk Ireland where  Dora married James Mcgarry and they had my mother Kathleen. I am currently trying to trace Jane Gardiners family back but there are so many possibilities.

Offline KAYET

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 October 18 02:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anna. 
Kaye(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kaye,

We have removed your email again from your last reply as this is not the safe way to exchange information. If the information is not sensitive you can continue to exchange information via the website or if it is regarding living folk you can use the pm function. The website was designed to keep you safe please do not keep revealing your email.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk