Author Topic: George Pearle - Transportation 1837  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
George Pearle - Transportation 1837
« on: Saturday 26 January 13 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Looking through criminal registers I found details of the conviction and transportation of George Pearle, and I subsequently started a thread to try to find out more about him:  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,633054.0.html

I have now found quite a bit of information about George but still can't find his family in Suffolk, or his wife and child, and I am wondering if anyone here would offer any advice please?

From the information available online it would appear that George was born in about 1809, was convicted in January 1837 at Bury St Edmunds, and was then kept on the prison hulk Leviathan  at Portsmouth until he set sail for Tasmania aboard the Susan on 29 July 1837.  Amongst the Australian records it states that he had a wife, Mary Ann, and a child, 'at Brockley'.

I have been trying to find information relating to George's birth or marriage but so far I can find neither.  I can't find any records of his wife and child either who, presumably, should appear on the 1841 census.

So if anyone can find any likely candidates, I would really be most grateful.

Regards and thanks,
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
Re: George Pearle - Transportation 1837
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 January 13 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Boyds marriage index has

George Purrel
Mary Ann Grig
Mildenhall

found them on the Suffolk Marriage index, 8th December, 1835 says hes George Puzzel a widower. :-\

In 1841 there is a Mary Purl with a 5yr old George in Mildenhall.  HO107/14/8/23/8

Possible first marriage

George Pearl
Elizabeth Jude
31st March, 1832
Barton Mills

Elizabeth Pearl buried 21st June, 1832 aged 32yrs = Barton Mills
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 January 13 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for that information, Sue!  No wonder I couldn't find him anywhere.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline Judy Brodie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 February 13 06:04 GMT (UK) »
Also found in Mildenhall records that George Pevirel widr of Mildenhall and Mary Ann Grigg single woman married by banns/licence on the 8th Dec 1835.
Judy Brodie
Hendley, Horne, Sheridan, Hyland, Giddings, Morley, Johnson, Bailey, Farby, Dewey, Craigen, Pocknall, Seaton, Uffindell, Alford, Partridge, Oldham, Crow, Peachey,

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 February 13 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that Judy - how very interesting.  Certainly, the dates fit rather neatly.  Wonderful stuff this FH - like doing a jigsaw with people!

Regards
GS

Offline Judy Brodie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Not a problem, I have a lot of original copies records for Mildenhall and plus some transcribed ones for Mildenhall and Lakenheath, so if you need anything let me know. Judy
Hendley, Horne, Sheridan, Hyland, Giddings, Morley, Johnson, Bailey, Farby, Dewey, Craigen, Pocknall, Seaton, Uffindell, Alford, Partridge, Oldham, Crow, Peachey,

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Judy - very kind.  I haven't been able to link George in with my own Pearl(e) family who come from Rattlesden/Hitcham/Brettenham.  I sort of stumbled across him so not sure whether or not he is one of mine.  I will have to go back to my tree and see how some of the families have branched out.  If he is one of mine, would be nice to add him into my tree.

Regards
GS