Author Topic: Marriage of John James Williamson  (Read 4540 times)

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of John James Williamson
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 31 January 13 15:25 GMT (UK) »

The Eton one doesn't look correct now, as there's some evidence to suggest that they are another couple  :-\

This is what brevitas means :

Death, Mar qtr 1963
Florence E Williamson
aged 82 years
Eton, Vol 6a, Page 571

It looks good when you consider the timescale in which John and Rosa finally married :

Marriage, Mar 1963
John J Williamson
Rosa M W Pitcher
Camberwell, Vol 5c, page 460

But there is :

a) The age difference - the above Florence E Williamson was 82 when she died.

b) Florrie certainly wouldn't have been able to attend the funeral.

Pels.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Betty.W

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 31 January 13 15:52 GMT (UK) »
I was just typing a reply to Brevitas when Pels post arrived and seem to have not been sent. I was saying that I also did not think that the Eton one was the one, for the same reason you give, she was 82 in 1963 when she died, I can't imagine that John would have been married to someone 18 years older than himself.
Strange that there are no divorce records for John, if Florrie was still alive when he married Rosa - unless he committed bigamy, which he wouldn't have admitted to when he married Rosa. I am inclined to think she probably died before that.I know my husband cousin told him that both of Johns wives were at his funeral, but he wasn't actually there, his father told him. Possibly it was Rosa's daughter with her mother.
I'm beginning to wish I had never started on this search, it is all such a mystery and not really part of my family, only as my husbands.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 31 January 13 16:15 GMT (UK) »
I know how you feel, Betty  :)

I found a double murder in my husband's tree - a distant cousin of his  :-X  But then, Pels will tell you that I have some very odd bods and various  allegations of misbehaviour in mine  ;D

Will report back if I find anything else.

brevitas
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline merlin2107

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 19 March 17 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Betty, I have just been reading these posts and although I can't answer your question I might be  able to clarify some of the discussion here. Rosa Win Williamson was my grandmother, "Nan Win". The address 141 Camberwell rd is correct I went there nearly every weekend in the late 50's and early 60's my understanding was that Jack (John) was my grandad, but found out when I was older that he and Win lived together, possibly for many years, and my actual grandad was Edmund Frederick Pitcher and is buried in the IoW. Win died in Broadstairs in 1983. My understanding is that she left Edmund at some point early in their marriage. Perhaps Win and John (Jack) lived together as they were both married? I am not sure about the hospital record for John, I recall going to Dulwich General on a few occasions when my father visited, perhaps he was moved to Hampstead latterly. I am not aware of any marriage between John and Win, but perhaps, as a post suggests, they married just before he died? Might also explain the name Rose Pitcher Williamson. All of the records here ring true as I new that "grandad Jack" worked with Pathe News. Anyway, thanks to all posts as I now have more information about my grandfather Edmund Pitcher

Offline Betty.W

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 23 March 17 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Merlin, your post came as a bit of a surprise as it was some time ago that I was looking for information about my husbands uncle Jack (John Williamson). I believe that Rosa and Edmund had  children. I don't know when Jack and Rosa got together but they were living together in 1936. at this time I don't know if Rosa was divorced but Jack was still married. I also believe that Jack's first wife died around the beginning of 1963.Jack and Rosa married in March 1963. Jack died of Carcinoma of the tongue on 17th December 1963 in St. Columbus hospital Hampstead. Did Jack and Rosa have any children together? my husband would be most interested to find that has any cousins that he didn't know about!! Like I said in one of my earlier posts my husbands father who died young was Jack's younger brother and worked with him at Pathe and was the only one of the family that knew anything about him, he never spoke about what he knew !! Anyway,interesting to find that you knew Jack.