Author Topic: Captain Dalrymple Dawson  (Read 4316 times)

Offline Lokelani

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Dalrymple Dawson
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 August 13 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi all - interesting reading, interesting characters - I'm part of the mix as well . . .

Mixedup - you may like to read the following transcript of Daniel Marley's trial at The Old Bailey:

Old Bailey Proceedings, 11th April 1833.

Reference Number: t18330411-154

824 DANIEL MORLEY was indicted for stealing, on the 18th of December , 1 trunk, value 10s.; 1 dress, value 30s.; 2 watches, value 12l.; 1 gold chain, value 8l.; 1 locket, value 2l.; 1 night-dress and cap, value 12s.; 2 pairs of stockings, value 8s.; 1 habit-shirt, value 15s.; 4 combs, value 30s.; 1 brush, value 2s.; 1 bag, value 10s.; 1 music-book, value 3l.; 7 pieces of music, value 12s.; 1 apron, value 1s., and 1 pair of shoes, value 3s. , the goods of Sarah Knight Bousfield .

CHARLES HENRY PARROTT . On the 18th of December I was at Muswell-hill, and saw the prisoner at the Green Man; he drove a cab - I had a trunk with me; I asked him to take me to town - he said he could not take me, but he would take the trunk for 1s. 6d.; I said I wanted it to get to town by five o'clock - he was waiting for a person; I told him to deliver the trunk at No. 12, Chatham-place, Blackfriars, for Miss Bousfield - the prisoner got into his cab, and took the reins, but I did not see him set off.

CATHERINE HAWKINS. I am the wife of James Hawkins; we keep the Green Man, at Muswell-hill. I saw the prisoner there with a cab, and I heard Parrott stipulate with him to take the trunk to town with in the time for 1s. 6d.

MISS SARAH KNIGHT BOUSFIELD. I live at Muswell-hill, with my brother. On the 18th of December I packed the trunk to go to town; there were two gold watches, some dresses, and all the articles stated in the indictment in it; they were worth about 32l. - I had left it at Muswellhill, and sent Parrott for it; I have never seen it since.

EDMUND DAVIS (Police-constable E 86). I live in Charlotte-street, Bloomsbury. I took the prisoner on the 24th of February. at the Bricklayers' Arms, in Rathbone-place; I said, "Halloo, Dan! I have been looking for you some time?" he said, "I may as well be transported as starved here; I have kept out of the way as long as I can" - I had received notice of the robbery the day it happened; I do not know where the cab No. 112 stood, which was the one the prisoner drove.

CHARLES HENRY PARROTT . I am sure the prisoner is the man.

MRS. HAWKINS. I am sure he is the man.

Prisoner's Defence. On the day mentioned I went out of the yard with a cab - I do not know the number; I went home to dinner, leaving the cab on the rank - I never saw the man I left it with till half-past twelve o'clock at night, when he came home drunk, with no money; I did not go home, for fear of two months' imprisonment for leaving my work - I told the Policeman I was taken for another man's crime; I was out of the way for fear of being taken for leaving my cab.
DAVID LEAK . I live in Worship-street. I employed the prisoner to drive the cab No. 112 - I sent him out on the 18th of December, and he never returned; a strange man brought the cab home, and said the prisoner had met with an accident, and was thrown out at Covent-garden-market; I went there, and found that no such thing had happened.
GUILTY . Aged 24. - Transported for Seven Years .

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline mixedupmob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 August 13 15:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information Lokelani, I m away at the moment but will look at it more closely when I get home. Who are you connected to - Isabella or Daniel or both? My husband is connected to Isabella.

Mixedup
Smealls - Kirkcaldy, Scotland
Williamsonson - Dunfermline, Scotland

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Lokelani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Mixedup

Isabella and Daniel were my great, great, great grandparents.

Lokelani

Offline philiprosscarter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 May 17 13:34 BST (UK) »
Daniel Marley & Isabella Dawson were my wife's great-great-great grandparents. Daniel had a wife & 3 children in England before he was transported - see attachment. Isabella's husband died in 1860 so neither was in a position to marry.
They had 2 children, twins, Daniel & Hannah, born on 11 March 1843. Daniel died young.
Hannah married Edward George Fletcher.

Phil Carter

Offline mixedupmob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 May 17 11:23 BST (UK) »
Phil, thank you for that information. Isabella is my husband's great-great-great grandmother from her marriage to James Leitch. Which of Hannah Marley/Fletcher's children is your wife descended from?

R.

Offline philiprosscarter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 May 17 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hannah Marley married Edward George Fletcher and, according to my records, they had 11 children. Number 8 was Edward George (Ted) Fletcher (1878-1954). He married Catherine Elizabeth Knight (1880-1964) and they had 6 children. The first was Edward John (Jack) Fletcher (1901-1974) and he married Inez Margaret Anne Grimshaw (1907-2003). They had 3 girls, the middle being Valda Fletcher who is my wife's mother and now aged 90.

Cheers,
Phil.

Offline mixedupmob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 06:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Phil - I have found the same information on the family.