Author Topic: Glyn Ceiriog Baptist Chapels, where are the older ones?  (Read 7366 times)

Offline Richard Isaac ap Edward

• RootsChat Extra
  • Llansantffraid Glyn Ceiriog Baptist Registers Plea
    • View Profile
Glyn Ceiriog Baptist Chapels, where are the older ones?
« on: Thursday 14 February 13 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks,
I have found my chaps birth in the year 1824, & baptism in the year 1848 at age 24 in Llansantffraid Glyn Ceiriog Baptist Chapel. Unfortunately I have no info on the place they took place except, "Glyn Ceiriog Baptist Church" written at the top of  the register. My question is, which Baptist Chapel would it have been. I have dates from a few from the Date Stones outside but none go back far enough.....
Here's what I have so far
Capel Pandy, off the Llanarmon road, date unknown, (soon to be a renovated house, or maybe already is) Has anyone the date for this?
Capel Seion, in Glyn, dated 1874
Capel Salem, on the High Street dated 1884
Capel Nantyr, up the hill a couple of miles, dated 1904
Ty Capel, on the Llanarmon road, no idea of date, don't even know if it was Baptist.

If anyone could help with knowledge of the earlier chapels it would be greatly appreciated. I did find some hint in a book, A Topographical History of Wales, 1849 4th Ed. Samuel Lewis, which stated 2 places of worship for Baptists......

thanks all
Richard
North Wales : Isaac, Roberts, Hughes, Edwards: Denbighshire / Montgomeryshire
Selattyn, Tregeiriog, Llansanffraid Glyn Ceiriog, Llangym, Llangadwaladr, Lansillin

England : Isaac, Helks, Hall  : Lancashire / Yorkshire / Shropshire / Staffordshire / Suffolk
Bolton, Wakefield, Wellington, Bury St. Edmunds

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Glyn Ceiriog Baptist Chapels, where are the older ones?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 February 13 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello  :)

Although Capel Seion has 1874 as a date on the Chapel, according to Wikipe*ia: "The 19th century Eisteddfod-winning poet and lexographer, Rev. Robert Elis (Cynddelw) (1812 - 1875) was a Baptist minister at Glyn Ceiriog Independent Welsh Baptist Chapel, Seion, from 1838-1840."

There is a Church finder on the menu of the Baptist Union of Wales site, where you can find contact details for the current Minister of Seion:

http://www.buw.org.uk/index.php?lang=en

Best Regards
Morgan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 February 13 04:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply,
I should have mentioned my notes on the acting Baptist ministers, please excuse the oversight. These sadly limited findings  are restricted to Glyn Ceiriog.

Robert Williams, Baptist minister, Glyn Ceiriog and Ruthin, 1824-40 (on my 1824 birth) Chapel name unknown
John Hughes, Unknown Baptist Chapel, (seen on my copy of the 1848 baptism) Chapel name unknown
Robert Elis, Baptist minister, Capel Seion, 1838 ~ 1840, Chapel name: Seion; (building not found)
Robert Hughes, Baptist minister, 1838 to 1840, Chapel name unknown

so far that is all, there is a lot more access to the existence of the chapels on Genuki as of 1905,
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/DEN/LlansanffraidGlynCeiriog/index.html#ChurchHistory
there is a pdf that can be downloaded called Welsh Church Stats with similar info (the link is a direct download)
http://www.rcahmw.gov.uk/media/181.pdf
regards,
Richard

Selattyn, Tregeiriog, Llansanffraid Glyn Ceiriog, Llangym, Llangadwaladr, Lansillin

England : Isaac, Helks, Hall  : Lancashire / Yorkshire / Shropshire / Staffordshire / Suffolk

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 February 13 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello  :)

It is more difficult to track these Non-Conformist Ministers than the Parish Vicars and Curates!

I expect that you have found John Hughes, age 44 on the 1851, living with his wife Ann at Tanygarth, Glyn Ceiriog. On 1861 he's a visitor in Pembrokeshire and Ann is at Blaenavon, and by 1871 both at Blaenavon, Glamorgan.

I'll let you know if I find out any more information about the Chapel.

Modified - as they were in Glyn Ceiriog in 1851 you may be lucky with the 1851 Religious Census: "The Religious Census of 1851: A Calendar of the Returns relating to Wales"

Kind Regards
Morgan

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 February 13 00:58 GMT (UK) »
I have discovered that Capel Seion was built in 1874 to replace an earlier Chapel (which was built in 1762). The foundation stone for the new Chapel was laid in July 1874.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 February 13 03:15 GMT (UK) »
Inspiring answers, thank you, which have somehow sparked the flow of further information. I had a search with Montgomoryshire in mind & came up with these dates & places:
County ; Montgomeryshire   
district ; Llanfyllin/Llansantffraid (Llansanffraid), Llansantffraid-ym-Mechain/Llansantffraid Pool   

Place ; Glyn Ceirog
Chapel ; Seion Welsh Baptist Chapel / Baptist / 1762, rebuilt 1875  (actually 1874 according to the date stone)
Llansantffraid-ym-Mechain/Llansantffraid Pool

Place ; Glyn Ceirog   /Salem Welsh Baptist Chapel / Baptist / 1832

Place ; Glyn Ceirog
Chapel ; Soar Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel / Calvinistic Methodist / 1875

Place ; Nantry
Chapel ; Capel Nantyr Welsh Baptist Chapel / Baptist / 1905 / Late 20th century

Place ; Pandy   
Chapel ; Penuel English Baptist Chapel; Capel Pandy / Baptist / 1894   
Llanfyllin

Place ; Llangadwaladr
Chapel ; Tregeiriog Chapel / Calvinistic Methodist / 1804
The building date stone reads 1878 so perhaps this was rebuilt?
They wouldn't refer to Calvenist Methodist as Baptists on the registers would they? Wouldn't think so but you can tell I'm into a new area of research here   8)

This information clearly gives 2 Baptist churches standing in the year 1849, that info found in A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Author; Samuel Lewis 4th Edition, 1849, Glyn Ceiriog. There's the Salem Chapel 1832 & as mentioned in morganllan's earlier post, the Seion Chapel 1762, rebuilt 1875. As my John had his birth registered in 1824 I'm going to assume with caution that both entries including his 1848 baptism took place at the earlier Seion Chapel. The birth entry has good details of parents, date & place of birth but the baptism is a simple list of names in that year, with the occupation noted next to the name in some case. Our John Isaac has 'Gof', nice word that, I wonder if it has 'owt to do with hammer.   :)

Thanks for the information so far, a picture slowly builds & a reminder to bring Montgomoryshire into the equation when searching around Glyn Ceiriog during certain time frames.
Richard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 February 13 03:30 GMT (UK) »
As a point of reference for anyone who is researching NC Chapels & similar, here is the link with the Montgomeryshire Chapels listed: Includes Glyn Ceiriog, Tregeiriog
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CLGfm4YC&key=0AibZ4eCKb-EYdFg3dUM1Z0tEU2RYai1IWjZac3NQU2c&hl=en&authkey=CLGfm4YC#gid=0

Richard

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 February 13 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Inspiring answers, thank you, which have somehow sparked the flow of further information. .....

They wouldn't refer to Calvenist Methodist as Baptists on the registers would they? Wouldn't think so but you can tell I'm into a new area of research here   8)

....... John Isaac has 'Gof', nice word that, I wonder if it has 'owt to do with hammer.   :)

You're very welcome Richard  :D

I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't refer to CM as Baptists.

Welsh occupation "Gof" is a Smith or Blacksmith  :)

Best Wishes
Morgan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 08:31 GMT (UK) »
There is one Chapel question which still stands out & that is the location of the original Salem Chapel dated 1832. The one in Glyn on the High Street is dated 1884, streetmap; 320135,337724 & can be seen on Google streetview.

We'll then get to grips and try complete these ministers. John Hughes was obviously a long serving Reverend until his death but I wonder when he started.
My updated list with almost nothing on the Salem Chapel
Chapel Seion
Robert Williams, Glyn Ceiriog and Ruthin, 1824-40 (should be 1838? or perhaps there were 2 serving Revs?)
Robert Ellis, Glyn Ceiriog, 1838-1840
John Hughes, Rev from(unknown 1840?) was Rev.in 1848 & until his death Nov 25th, 1875

Chapel Salem
Robert Hughes, Chapel Salem, Glyn Ceiriog from 1838 to 1840

Richard