Author Topic: James Mumford, born c1853 - census lookups, please?  (Read 6867 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
James Mumford, born c1853 - census lookups, please?
« on: Monday 18 February 13 20:50 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor, James Mumford, who was born in England and was living in Ontario, Canada by 1857.  I have full details about his life, both in England and in Canada.

I recently read information about a James Mumford (born c1853) who apparently was one of three witnesses of a murder in 1888.  I am wondering if this James was a distant relative to my James Mumford.  I also came across information about one of the witnesses, Charles Bretton (various spellings of surname) which leads me to believe there might be a connection between the two Mumfords.

According to the following site
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0sym/ (Casebook: Jack the Ripper)
In 1891, James Mumford, born c1853, Whitechurch, was living at 22 Winthrop Street, occupation horse slaughterman.  Living with him were his wife, Emma, and his children, James (born c1886), Frederick (born c1889) and Alice (born c1891).

Would there be a kind person who might be able to find James Mumford (born c1853) on earlier census returns, please?  Thank you for reading this.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: James Mumford, born c1853 - census lookups, please?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 February 13 21:08 GMT (UK) »

In 1891, James Mumford, born c1853, Whitechurch, was living at 22 Winthrop Street, occupation horse slaughterman.  Living with him were his wife, Emma, and his children, James (born c1886), Frederick (born c1889) and Alice (born c1891).

Would there be a kind person who might be able to find James Mumford (born c1853) on earlier census returns, please?  Thank you for reading this.

Looking at the 1891 census James Mumford was born 1853 Whitechapel, London, England ?
If I've got the right family, this is what the 1891 shows - all born Whitechapel.

James Mumford 38 Emma Mumford 30
James Mumford 5  Frederick Mumford 2 Alice E Mumford 1 month
Margaret Ruddy 86 Mother. Widow.
Annie Ruddy 37 Daughter

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 February 13 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra:

Thank you, it should be Whitechapel.   :-[  Thank you for seeing my error.

Margaret Ruddy - could that be Emma's mother?  Thank you very much for providing the information!
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 February 13 21:15 GMT (UK) »
1901 Census shows him born 1856 Stratford Essex I think??

Cheers
Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 February 13 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karenlee:

Thank you for the information.  Every little bit helps.  :)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 February 13 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Looked at marriages and think Emma was Emma Reddington married Mile End - June 1884 - 1c 983.

On the 1881 Census Margaret Ruddy (74 years) living at 27 New Street Mile End Old Town London with Annie (27 years) and is born Ireland. The info on Annie says she was born in Whitechapel.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 February 13 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra:

I just checked the internet for Reddington and Mumford and found additional information:

According to one source, James Mumfords' parents were James Mumford (born c1810) and Jane Blowes (born c1811).  James (born 1853) was apparently born in Ongar.  James and Jane apparently were married in 1842.

Thank you for finding the Reddington information.  ;)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 February 13 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra:

My James Mumford was born in Hatfield Broad Oak.  By 1845, my James Mumfords' parents were living in Fyfield.  I have information about their deaths (I've not yet ordered their certificates).  While in HBO, James senior was a butcher.  My James owned a butcher shop in Ontario, Canada (starting in 1857).

Also, according to the information provided about Charles Bretton, he married my James' sister, Louisa, in Ongar in 1855.

I don't know if it is coincidental or they were somehow related, but it seems like there were too many James Mumfords living in Fyfield not to somehow be connected. ???

Thank you for finding the post about the Blowes and Mumfords.