Author Topic: Grahams of Kilkeel  (Read 33248 times)

Offline dermotb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grahams of Kilkeel
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the photo, that's fantastic

In the meantime, we have found Willie's birth record, for 23 July 1891 as attached.

Can you possibly give me contact details for Andrew Annett (perhaps by private message). I'd like to find out how he is connected to the family.

Offline dermotb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 13:37 GMT (UK) »
A couple more minor corrections
(1) the original handwritten 1911 census record shows Willie's age correctly as 18, but the 1 was hard to see, and the age was transcribed as 8. So this error is a modern one.
(2) the German POW record is also indistinct, but I read the date of birth as 22/7/92, incorrect by only a month and a day.

Offline Aughnahoory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the birth certificate that clinches the age mistakes. Here's a full version of the photo which Andrew sent to me. It includes two comrades serving with him Jim Fleming and Robert Newell. The latter like Willie was also a member of Aughnagoory Heroes LOL 343B.

Andrew also included a hand written record of Willies exploits written by him on the rear of his letter from the King dated to the 60s. It mentions his travels in Russia New Zealand and other places plus the fact he was held prisoner on a German farm - He certainly had a sense of adventure. I will email him and OK my letting you have his contact details.

Offline dermotb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks!

Can you please let Andrew know that if he is connected to the Grahams, we have dozens of cousins waiting to meet him

Offline Aughnahoory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 15:47 GMT (UK) »
I PMd you my EMail. If you let me have your email contact I will foward it to Andrew for you

Offline Ballyveaboy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Thursday 10 November 16 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello All, my name is Andrew Annett and I do have a direct connection to the Graham family who had the shoeshop in Greencastle street Kilkeel. My mother is Evelyn Elisabeth Annett (nee Graham) who is the daughter of Thomas Graham my grandfather(who was the last shoemaker to run the business). I grew up in Kilkeel and knew my grandfather well. I do have quite a bit of family history which I will happily share.  kindest regards   Andrew