Author Topic: John BICE (BYSE/BISE) 1584-1657  (Read 7389 times)

Offline Goldberry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John BICE (BYSE/BISE) 1584-1657
« on: Monday 25 February 13 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I wondered if anybody else is researching the Bice family.

I've noticed there are a lot of family trees online (many of which are muddled, which is why I like to do the research myself, rather than copy what other people have done), but when it gets to John Bice nobody currently appears to have a marriage, although his wife is known to be Joan (baptism of daughter Christian 1620 shows mother as Jone).

Obviously, new transcriptions of records are constantly being added, so I was quite excited to find a marriage as follows:

29 Jun 1612, Braddock, Cornwall
John Bise and Joane Crews

The timing of this marriage also coincides well with the birth of John's first son Luke (1613).

I wondered if anybody else had come across this marriage?

As a separate question, but linked to the above -

Taking the research one step further regarding Joan Crews:

I understand that Braddock is about 7 miles from Liskeard, where there was to be found a branch of the Cruwys family from Devon (various other spellings, including Crewse).  John Bice was a Yeoman, so it makes sense that he would marry into such a family.

There is a baptism:

Jone Cruise
baptised 24 Nov 1594
Fowey, Cornwall
Father Richard Cruise

In the Family Search Ancestral files I found information about the Crewse family of Liskeard, showing the birth of Richard c 1567, his father John 1530, and grandfather Anthony b 1505, Cruwys Morchard,Devon d 1540.  (To date my tree is based on documents I've found for baptisms, marriages, burials, censuses, etc. Can anybody tell me how reliable these Ancestral Files are?   Checking against Pedigree Files on Family Search in the past, I've found some of them to be wrong. Can anybody explain the difference between Ancestral Files and Pedigree Files, if any?) 

In the meantime, I  can't find any other children with this baptised with this surname (I've searched trying various spellings) in Fowey around the date of Joane Cruise, so at the moment I'm unable to make any connection to Richard from Liskeard.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Offline Goldberry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Bice (Byse/Bise) 1584-1657
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 February 13 15:10 GMT (UK) »
I've also found a marriage:

28 Nov 1600, Braddock
William Crews
Joan Hicks

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 February 13 15:57 GMT (UK) »
The Cornwall OPC site has that marriage

29 Jun 1612, Braddock, Cornwall
John Bise and Joane Crews

http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=marriages&id=959899

as John Wise + Joane Crews

You might want to look at the actual record to see whether Wise is a misreading, as seems possible. You can contact the OPC here:
http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/a_d/bradock.php

Is Samuel Sandoe Bice in your Bice line perchance? He and my grx2 grfather seem to have been in business together in the 1850s, before he departed for Australia and his son became a well-known politician and a Sir. ;)

I think FS's ancestral files are just the same thing as the old pedigree files -- unverified info submitted by individuals. They're as good as the documentation the submitters have to substantiate them!

I'm not sure how someone would have a baptism date c1505, since my understanding is parish records do not exist that early - ? - unless maybe there was an age on a burial record? I would imagine someone is just guesstimating based on the date of a marriage / child's baptism (although those would still be too early, I think); such guesstimates are often wildly off. (I recently figured out that my ancestor in a 1782 marriage where I was stuck was actually about 50 at the time of marriage, e.g., when I found the baptism under a variant surname.)
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 February 13 16:15 GMT (UK) »
OPC site has a baptism of Johan Crewes Oct 1593, daughter of John, in Gerrans -- not next door to Fowey, but not a million miles away.

http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=baptisms&id=3081470

Same place and same father, there are also John 1594, Richard 1595 and Nicholas 1599.
And in 1591, Richard son of Richard Crewes.

Johan 1593 and John 1594 were baptised within about 4 months of each other so perhaps she was not baptised at birth.

The baptism you show:

Jone Cruise
baptised 24 Nov 1594
Fowey, Cornwall
Father Richard Cruise

isn't in the OPC database, but you'd have to check the coverage to see whether trancription is complete for that date/location.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline Goldberry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 February 13 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Janey.

I made contact with Cornwall OPC a few days ago about the marriage record. As Cornwall Family History Society have transcribed the marriage as Bice, COPC are going to put a note against their record that the name could be Bise.

I bought a copy of John Bice's (Byse) will today from the National Archives, and I'm thrilled that all of the family that I have for John match the names in his will, including his wife Joan.  There's also some additional information regarding his sons-in-law and grandchildren, which I intend to follow up.

I will have to do some research to see if I can fin any Wills for the Cruwys/Crewse family.

As this isn't a common surname, I guess there's a possibility that the William Crews, who's marriage I found, could be the brother of Joan/Johan.

I thought as much about the Ancestral files, because the information seems to differ.

By the way, there appears to be a lot of research into the name Cruwys eg:
http://www.one-name.org/profiles/cruwys.html
http://cruwys.blogspot.gr/

...so I'm hoping to find somebody else that can cross-reference.

Thanks for your advice.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 February 13 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the Anthony Crewes name -- a person search at the OPC site for the name ant cre finds
- a baptism 1600 in Gerrans for an Anthony Crewes son of Gilbert
- numerous baptisms 1623 to 1648 in Gerrans for children with father Anthony Crews/Crewes sometimes naming mother Jane.

If Anthony was a family name, that could indicate a connection with the ones in Gerrans, again, just something to consider.

No Samuel Sandoe Bice connection then? ;) (other than in the dim distant 1500s ...)

Offline Goldberry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 February 13 19:18 GMT (UK) »
The reason I considered the possibility that the Joane who married John Bice was related to the Liskeard branch of the family is because I understand Braddock to be only about 7 miles away.

Offline Goldberry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 February 13 20:46 GMT (UK) »
I found this website about the Cruwys family: http://www.familytreedna.com/public/cruwysdna/default.aspx?section=results

It's interesting that both Liskeard and Gerrans are mentioned.

Offline Goldberry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 February 13 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've done some more research today and found that the three sons of John c 1530 of Liskeard - Richard, Gilbert and John - moved to Gerrans.

Richard married Olive Humfry 1589
Gilbert married her sister Jane Humfry 1591
John married Mary Frawan (alias Nanslo) 1592

Richard died in 1590 and Olive (widow) in 1591.  Olive was buried 14 August and their son Richard who was baptised on 11, was buried 21 August 1591, just a week after his mother.

So this seems to rule out this Richard from being the father of Johan Cruse of Fowey. 

I've found a Richard Crewse who had three children in Morwenstow - Alexander 1596, Richard 1599 and Marye 1601 - could this be the father of Johan 1594 in Fowey?

This still leaves Johan 1593, daughter of John Crewes in Gerrans, or Johan 1581 daughter of Paskow Crewe of St Just in Roseland.

I can't find a link as to why there would be a marriage in Braddock - could there be a connection with Liskeard? 

As mentioned above, a William Crews married in Braddock in 1600, but I can't find any other mention of a William.  I was hoping that if I found him that might give some clues.

Nor have I been able to find anything else about Paskow Crewe, although I found the name Carrow/Cerrow in St Just in Roseland.

Thanks for your input - two heads are always better than one! :)